Why is legitimate Existential Crisis confused with depression ?

Why don't you blow your load in this alleged girlfriend of yours and create a life. That will give you some purpose in life and keep you busy at least.
Yeah, if there truly is a meaning or purpose to life, it's probably creating more life.

Get on top of that gf, TS. Bet you'll have less time to ponder the vagaries of existence with a screaming poop factory to take care of.

The meaning of life is the meaning you give it. If you believe your life to be worthless, why are you wasting it sad and depressed doing nothing?

I notice you're still following social norms. Not going out and doing any raping or murdering. Obviously there are still some things that are important to you.

"The meaning of life is the meaning you give it"
Yes that's really helpful to an existentialist. It will be translated to....soooo, whatever bs I pick?

Ps.
From the statistics I've seen on raping and murdering, that is the social norm.

PPS
Why is everyone so convinced that "one's happiness" is the end all desired state? Lots of thoughtless fucks sporting big smiles because they think its the thing to do...it's sad, and wasteful, imo:p

Take it easy Milan Kundera.

Life, at its most boring, is mind-blowing shit compared to the absence of life. You need to figure out how to appreciate small things.

A legitimate struggle to survive will let you know how strong that will to survive is. And while you're busy not dying, that will cure any boredom you have.
Some people have that struggle brought upon them through poverty or disease. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Others are thrill seekers who base jump and mountain climb.

I like my exhilarating experience a little more tame. Paying down my mortgage and getting a little bit ahead makes me feel alive, as does an exhausting hike through some harsh elements or terrain.

Existentialist's contemplate existence by their very nature, the "struggle to survive" is far from a revolutionary epiphany that they haven't already ruminated on.
Struggling through poverty or disease, and coming out the other end, just leaves one, perhaps, just relieved to be conscious. None of this solves the "problem" if we choose to call it that.

Trying to relate, and empathize with a existentialist is hard going, as they have "seen shit!"

Last edited:
A few times as a child when I was ill and had a bad fever I didn't know whether I was awake or asleep and I had a dream/nightmare/hallucination in which the mathematical equation of the universe was revealed to me, It was utterly horrifying and too much for my tiny little lump of grey matter to fully comprehend. When I awoke/came out of the fever I was completely overwhelmed by a state of hopelessness and despair, a feeling of just how utterly absurd and pointless our lives really are and the dark shadow of melancholia has stayed with me all my life. I could never quite remember the exact details of the dream but I fear the answer lies dormant somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind and I think if I ever fully recall it I would go completely insane. Anyway, so yeah, just thought I'd share that cheery little tale with you :D

I love this Radiohead vid cos I feel that's how it would go down if I ever remembered...

A few times as a child when I was ill and had a bad fever I didn't know whether I was awake or asleep and I had a dream/nightmare/hallucination in which the mathematical equation of the universe was revealed to me, It was utterly horrifying and too much for my tiny little lump of grey matter to fully comprehend. When I awoke/came out of the fever I was completely overwhelmed by a state of hopelessness and despair, a feeling of just how utterly absurd and pointless our lives really are and the dark shadow of melancholia has stayed with me all my life. I could never quite remember the exact details of the dream but I fear the answer lies dormant somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind and I think if I ever fully recall it I would go completely insane. Anyway, so yeah, just thought I'd share that cheery little tale with you :D

I love this Radiohead vid cos I feel that's how it would go down if I ever remembered...

Wow, I have a similar dream every time I get a fever.

Well that's just great....I have a similar problem as well...no shit. No fever, just always had various and intense dream states.
That feeling of being exposed to "the answer" is profound. And its just out of reach, but somehow it was experienced.

I would love to hear some scientific, and philosophical explanations for this.

Well that's just great....I have a similar problem as well...no shit. No fever, just always had various and intense dream states.
That feeling of being exposed to "the answer" is profound. And its just out of reach, but somehow it was experienced.

Agreed, I've looked for explanations but never found anything scientific.

Alright listen. First of all you should not speculate on the value of things that you haven't done. Many couch-folk think climbing mountains is meaningless. But when you get up there, it sparks emotions and chemicals in your body that make you feel things you haven't previously felt. When you volunteer and make that kid smile, it sparks something. You cannot just speculate on the effect these things will have. There is a whole world out there, and the fact is that most of us don't experience much of it.

What you're doing is commenting on a blowjob's lack of biological utility, without ever having gotten one.

Second... Why is there not nothing? Idk man. Do you really think that's within our power to know? If you don't think so, then you need to give that shit up. If you do think so, then go for it. Figure it out.

You have an idle mind. It's the devil's workshop. I don't believe in the devil but this is a good quote. Humans are happier when they do things and affect the world, not just sit and think about it. Yeah that's just my opinion, but I've been through what you're going through. You just have to do a bunch of shit. You think you can just ponder shit and understand it. You can't.
ReKt. Butt-brutalized.

Honestly, this should probably be my next step. I think I've tired of the single-life routine. I have grey hairs, drinking a lot of booze has lost its appeal, I have a beautiful girlfriend who I need to marry and make kids with.
Well then go forth and fuck her right in the pussy for a change.

It's common to have dreams involving the near attaining of things. They are likely ones subconscious exploring how to achieve your desires.

You wake without the answer because you don't have the relevant information but it's part if the evolved problem solving ability of our species.

The meaning of one's existence being of interest is universal. Mathematics is also universal and it describes the universe exactly. The theory of everything would be a mathematical theorem.

Your just firing down those paths.

I haven't had a fever like that since I was maybe 12 years old but I did manage to (unintentionally) somewhat replicate a similar feeling a couple of times in my teens when I bad tripped on shrooms and acid. I was completely depersonalized with no sense of self, it was like I had died and I was in some kind of limbo and it was fucking terrifying. Not something I would ever wish to feel again.

You ever seen Pi? Real headfuck of a movie that explores this very theme of a universal equation.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138704/

giphy.gif
whose this dork and whyd you quote me and put him there

Did your hands feel just like 2 balloons?

"The meaning of life is the meaning you give it"
Yes that's really helpful to an existentialist. It will be translated to....soooo, whatever bs I pick?

Essentially that's what I mean. What drives you? What's important to you? That's the meaning of life. You aren't going to find some magical deity to tell you your purpose. Unless you follow a religion and take it on faith.

Ps.
From the statistics I've seen on raping and murdering, that is the social norm.

And yet TS isn't doing any of that. Has a great girlfriend and hasn't murdered her yet. If he truly believed it was all meaningless wouldn't he do these things and not care?

PPS
Why is everyone so convinced that "one's happiness" is the end all desired state? Lots of thoughtless fucks sporting big smiles because they think its the thing to do...it's sad, and wasteful, imo:p

This is a stupid statement. You're saying you prefer to be sad?

Its literally unhealthy to be sad and depressed.

Go live off the grid. You'll be too busy trying to survive to be bored.

Lol at sherdog philosophy, where the answer to depression and despair is always to, like, stop thinking like that.

What a revolutionary concept, I'm sure it's never ever occurred to anyone with depression. For fucks sake.

Back