Why is legitimate Existential Crisis confused with depression ?

Have you thought about becoming a homosexual?

Lf4Fzcw.jpg

existential-dread.jpg

E0WUums.gif

And there it is: WHY IS THERE NOT NOTHING ? Why is there anything ? Until this question can be answered, how I can possibly be asked to care about anything else ?

This is only a sticking point because you're making it out to be, which is probably why medicating you seems like a good idea.

Try imagining an answer that even hints at being satisfying. Maybe we're all part of one giant disembodied consciousness that's set out to amuse itself. Maybe we're part of an multi-universal adventure to achieve a state of perfect enlightenment. Maybe we're part of some future neckbeard's simulation thesis.

Then, when you realize how silly and useless all those ideas are, move on already.

I've been in/out of of therapy for a several years. At face value, I have a very good life; good job, lovely girlfriend, great family, great up bringing, and good friends. I'm 36 years old.

But around the age of 25, I began feeling exhaustion with life - in that I started asking myself, Is this it ? Work, sex, meet with buddies, hang out with girlfriend, rinse and repeat ? I began looking into the religions, and frankly, they're all 100% BS so please don't bother by telling me Try Jesus.

I don't believe in God or an afterlife - this is it. I have a few more decades on this planet and I'm bored out of my mind. I used to drink - a lot. But even that has lost its appeal. Television shows that I watched with earnest in my youth seem boring. TV really does suck these days - no heart or plot. Once in a rare while I'll find a movie that I can really get lost in without looking at my smart phone every three mins such as Sideways or The Big Lewbowski.

I've been diagnosed as having mild depression/anxiety/OCD and I have taken the meds. But they ultimately don't work because all they do is suppress my emotions. Inside, the haunting reality of the meaningless of life keeps striking me in the face and I feel as lost, confused, bored, and frustrated as ever.

I keep telling the doctors the same thing: I'M NOT DEPRESSED. I'M UTTERLY BORED WITH LIFE ! They keep telling me the latter is a false conclusion of the former, but I just don't buy it.

I don't value needing a big car, or house. I enjoy my job but after a while it's all routine. I feel all I'm doing is just wasting my time until I am no longer. That's what we all do. And if you're going to tell me Go volunteer or do charity, THAT'S NOT REAL MEANING. That's, again, something I'm just doing because I ultimately have no idea why I exist, why the Universe exists, or why there is not nothing.

And there it is: WHY IS THERE NOT NOTHING ? Why is there anything ? Until this question can be answered, how I can possibly be asked to care about anything else ?

Sounds like maybe you should pick up a hobby to put some purpose back in your life. What is life with out purpose after all? Meaningless. Do not put faith in your petty possessions like your car, house or even others. Do something creative on your spare time. Start simple by maybe joining the gym and setting goals. Maybe write a book. Travel if your family, time and money permit. Take acting classes. Anything that might have sparked your interest.

I've recently been feeling like you for a while but I nipped it in the butt by setting new goals and through those goals I've learned a lot more about a great deal of things. Simply put; don't just wither away and die. Seek out new horizons. A wasted day is a damn shame.

I actually understand what the OP is saying. Those who don't just don't get it. Being amused by trivialities doesn't mean you aren't exactly that . . . amused by trivialities.

His questions are legitimate: Why are we here? What's the purpose? What's the meaning?

I ask them, too.

I actually understand what the OP is saying. Those who don't just don't get it. Being amused by trivialities doesn't mean you aren't exactly that . . . amused by trivialities.

His questions are legitimate: Why are we here? What's the purpose? What's the meaning?

I ask them, too.
yeah but me too. To not be able to function cause you have questions about why you exist is the problem

Score some blow and kill some hookers. The universe won't care. No one will care.

yeah but me too. To not be able to function cause you have questions about why you exist is the problem

I think it's logical to shutdown without purpose. It could be asked: How do so many people continue to energetically move forward even without any substantial reason to do so?
Is that not a worthwhile question, the irrationality of human behavior?

One might even say that the OP is being an authentic human being while the rest are just pretenders.

I've been in/out of of therapy for a several years. At face value, I have a very good life; good job, lovely girlfriend, great family, great up bringing, and good friends. I'm 36 years old.

But around the age of 25, I began feeling exhaustion with life - in that I started asking myself, Is this it ? Work, sex, meet with buddies, hang out with girlfriend, rinse and repeat ? I began looking into the religions, and frankly, they're all 100% BS so please don't bother by telling me Try Jesus.

I don't believe in God or an afterlife - this is it. I have a few more decades on this planet and I'm bored out of my mind. I used to drink - a lot. But even that has lost its appeal. Television shows that I watched with earnest in my youth seem boring. TV really does suck these days - no heart or plot. Once in a rare while I'll find a movie that I can really get lost in without looking at my smart phone every three mins such as Sideways or The Big Lewbowski.

I've been diagnosed as having mild depression/anxiety/OCD and I have taken the meds. But they ultimately don't work because all they do is suppress my emotions. Inside, the haunting reality of the meaningless of life keeps striking me in the face and I feel as lost, confused, bored, and frustrated as ever.

I keep telling the doctors the same thing: I'M NOT DEPRESSED. I'M UTTERLY BORED WITH LIFE ! They keep telling me the latter is a false conclusion of the former, but I just don't buy it.

I don't value needing a big car, or house. I enjoy my job but after a while it's all routine. I feel all I'm doing is just wasting my time until I am no longer. That's what we all do. And if you're going to tell me Go volunteer or do charity, THAT'S NOT REAL MEANING. That's, again, something I'm just doing because I ultimately have no idea why I exist, why the Universe exists, or why there is not nothing.

Science, history, and politics my friend. The reasoning for everything that is, was, or will be, can be explained by science, history, and politics.

Educating yourself on these issues, is at least pursuing the answers you seek. Standing still is what is driving you crazy.

You need to set some sort of goals that light a fire in you. For me, it's fitness and to get better in my career.

I think it's logical to shutdown without purpose. It could be asked: How do so many people continue to energetically move forward even without any substantial reason to do so?
Is that not a worthwhile question, the irrationality of human behavior?

One might even say that the OP is being an authentic human being while the rest are just pretenders.
Don't like trivialties? Then go do something that you think is worthwhile, you crybabies.

You will never find out though, there is no answer that will satisfy you. There is no actual answer to it beyond the biological one. We exist as biological entities with no other purpose other than to exist, spread our species and die, hopefully having extending our DNA footprint.

Thats why people use religion, helping others, hobbies etc to find some kind of meaning. Abstract Meaning is human construct and will never be adequately answered for you. We exist because the universe happened and we just happen to win the lottery, our purpose is to make more humans, or not. Thats it. There is no higher purpose that science will give you, mans search for meaning is ongoing, but will never be fulfilled. We create our purpose if you want something beyond that, you are going to have to create it, because as I said Mans Meaning is a human construct.

In the end, we find things that make us feel important, or that we enjoy, such as helping others, a job, writing, etc. The fact you are not dead, should be enough to enjoy living, this sticking point on how can you enjoy anything when we dont know the answers to questions that have no answer will be maddening. The fact you think we are created for anything other than what a monkey, shark, ant is, is simply human ego. Sure we can create great things, and have great intellect, but this isnt a fantasy novel, there is no higher purpose other than to exist.

Back