Why is legitimate Existential Crisis confused with depression ?

And there it is: WHY IS THERE NOT NOTHING ? Why is there anything ? Until this question can be answered, how I can possibly be asked to care about anything else ?

Nothing is more than it seems.

But do you concede all these hobbies I may do are ultimately a distraction and don't really give true meaning ? It's like I'm just finding something to do so I don't think about the meaningless of life.

There is no purpose to life, it doesn't need one to cling to. Because it doesn't, you have the choice to give meaning to your own life.

So go find a love, a passion, and get to it.

Quit being such a drag, and quit digg'n!

OK, then how do I stop having those thoughts in my head whenever I try something new that says you're just wasting your time on this - ?

Literally anything can be considered a waste of time. If you boil everything down, then yes... life can be considered a waste of time. But the time passes whether you're alive, dead, sober, drunk, eating, shitting, fucking, sleeping, whatever. It all passes whether you want it to or not. There is nothing you can do about it, and time doesn't care about any of us. It doesn't value anything that anyone does. Only you can do that.

Do/did
Einstein waste his time thinking about time?
MLK waste his time fighting the southern establishment?
Copernicus waste his time studying the solar system?
African game wardens waste their time protecting elephants?

Is that what you think?
- If you do, then you're hopeless.
- If you don't, then you consider some things in life to be good uses of time and you should find one for yourself.

Your life is a blank page. You have to fill it in yourself. There is no meaning out there for you to find, it's all within. If your thoughts are invading when you are trying to enjoy a moment, you're no longer in the moment. I suggest looking into mindful meditation to help train you to stay in the moment.

Why don't you blow your load in this alleged girlfriend of yours and create a life. That will give you some purpose in life and keep you busy at least.

Why don't you blow your load in this alleged girlfriend of yours and create a life. That will give you some purpose in life and keep you busy at least.

Honestly, this should probably be my next step. I think I've tired of the single-life routine. I have grey hairs, drinking a lot of booze has lost its appeal, I have a beautiful girlfriend who I need to marry and make kids with.

Go travel. I was/am in the same boat (doing much better, but still feel like I can keep making positive change) and traveling has not only broadened my horizons a bit, but also kept me from getting bored and given me a chance to step outside the box a bit to decide where I want to take my life from here. About two years ago I just sold everything and left, no timeline on returning and haven't regretted it a bit. I needed massive change to be happy, though from outside appearance I was killing it in nearly every aspect of my life. And the whole happiness thing is pretty important lol.

But do you concede all these hobbies I may do are ultimately a distraction and don't really give true meaning ? It's like I'm just finding something to do so I don't think about the meaningless of life.

Then I don't know what to tell you. You're going to die eventually and that's going to be it so either enjoy your stay here or waste it worrying about shit that is impossible to ever answer.

The meaning to life is to be happy.

Dang...this sounds more depressing than the OP's story!
He's right too. Ultimately life has no purpose bit to procreate and then die. We're not really programmed to grasp and accept this.

I think a lot of existential angst is just because modern life is not satisfying for people. We're tribals. There are too many people to accept them all into the tribe, so we're constantly jammed in with a horde of strangers.

We've already achieved human supremacy, so there's no epic struggle for species survival or the survival if the tribe.

Most people aren't geniuses, so we can't take pride in inventing new things that push the species forward.

That leaves going to work, hobbies, and social interaction. And a lot of people suck ass now so that isn't appealing for some.

I have a beautiful girlfriend who I need to marry and make kids with.

Don't.

If you do, you could pass on your depressed view of the world to them.

Please think of the children.

TS you sound like a great candidate for an ayahuasca trip down south.
Shaman.jpg

ayahuasca-art-pic.jpg

He's right too. Ultimately life has no purpose bit to procreate (Hmmmm...didn't God command us to procreate?) and then die. We're not really programmed (Hmmmm...Who, or What "programmed" us for ANYTHING?) to grasp and accept this.

I think a lot of existential angst is just because modern life is not satisfying (Hmmmmmm...sounds like most, if not all of the Earth is continuously seeking something more satisfying.) for people. We're tribals. There are too many people to accept them all into the tribe, so we're constantly jammed in with a horde of strangers (Hmmmmm...weren't 100% of our current friends at one point "strangers"?).

We've already achieved human supremacy (Hmmmmmm...didn't God give us dominion over every creature since the beginning of time?), so there's no epic struggle for species survival or the survival if the tribe.

Most people aren't geniuses, so we can't take pride in inventing new things that push the species forward.

That leaves going to work, hobbies, and social interaction. And a lot of people suck ass now so that isn't appealing for some.

Yellow's one of my favorite colors, as you can tell.

I don't believe in God so any appeals to that do nothing for me. Programmed as in biologically. Everything has a built in instinct to survive.

We're the only thing that's mastered that and evolved enough intellect to become dissatisfied with mere survival.

I meant more in the overall sense. There are billions of people and were constantly crowded in with a lot of people that we just don't care about, because they aren't in our tribe. There are too many people.

I don't believe in a god that gave us dominion over other life. We evolved the fastest, so we're in the drivers seat. It's completely random chance though, could have been anything in our spot. And they would most likely put themselves above other life forms too because ego.

I
Honestly, this should probably be my next step. I think I've tired of the single-life routine. I have grey hairs, drinking a lot of booze has lost its appeal, I have a beautiful girlfriend who I need to marry and make kids with.
It would be irresponsible to bring a child into this world until you have figured out the true meaning of life, imo

Because without meaning, it's all pointless. The worst part is, it's not like I'm holding onto hope that life has a meaning. I've accepted existence/life is meaningless. I'm just trying to somehow try and get through this life being happy knowing that everything I'm doing is without meaning.

The meaning of life is the meaning you give it. If you believe your life to be worthless, why are you wasting it sad and depressed doing nothing?

I notice you're still following social norms. Not going out and doing any raping or murdering. Obviously there are still some things that are important to you.

A legitimate struggle to survive will let you know how strong that will to survive is. And while you're busy not dying, that will cure any boredom you have.
Some people have that struggle brought upon them through poverty or disease. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Others are thrill seekers who base jump and mountain climb.

I like my exhilarating experience a little more tame. Paying down my mortgage and getting a little bit ahead makes me feel alive, as does an exhausting hike through some harsh elements or terrain.

I

It would be irresponsible to bring a child into this world until you have figured out the true meaning of life, imo

Ask anyone with kids what the true meaning of life is, and then promptly call family services.:D

Maybe he will find that having children gives meaning and purpose...wouldn't that be something.
Its not like he will fuck up his kids because he is a sensitive, big picture, philosophical/intellectual type that questions everything.

Back