Why is it so hard for people to admit that Segal is legit?

Judo, karate, and Tae Kwon do were all bullshit martial arts too before they werent. Mma fans just try to be all better than everyone too. Being closed minded is harmful to the sport. People always think they have all the techniques figured out and that anything they havent seen doesnt exist or doesnt work........

thx for your post... good stuff. I think fighters need to be more respectful of the traditional martial arts...

I'm expecting a resurgence, would be cool to see shaolin kung fu and stuff

JCVD's kickboxing record consists of a bunch of no name events in the 70s and 80s. A fights were won by KO, of that none of those opponents have wiki pages and most all KOs were around 1 minute in the 1st round. Van damme was mike tyson!

This is what Machida looked like after training with Seagal for a fight:

This hits pretty close to home, because I am pretty sure this is what I look like when I am drunk and on the dance floor.

no amount of training is gonna prepare you for the storm that is the second GOAT of MMA(JBJ) Machida did pretty well considering.

And don't be like that... I'm sure your dancing is just fine.

thx for your post... good stuff. I think fighters need to be more respectful of the traditional martial arts...

I'm expecting a resurgence, would be cool to see shaolin kung fu and stuff

You might be trolling but i'll bite.

Shaolin kung fu wouldnt have a resurgence because it was never an effective mma style. But im sure theres some moves that if pulled off can suprise an mma fighter.

Im just sayin, jcvd's kickboxing record is shit.

Your looking for a fight and I'm not biting. At least he has stepped into the ring. How many fights does Segal have? ( listens to crickets )
Prove that JCVD' s fights were works, until then your just a hater.

Your right.. You can't believe everything you read on the net. Go watch the YouTube video of Sly saying it all in his own words.

So yes it does say alot about someone who talks shit and doesn't have the balls to back it up.. Millionaire or bum, money doesn't matter.

Never go full retard

I'm a little suspicious to be honest. He hyped the hell out of a come back fight that never materialized just so he could get his name in the press again. Some how almost everyone got KTFO in the first 30 seconds. There are several accounts of him getting his ass kicked from mouthing off to people or being too pushy/sleezy with women. The chuck zito account was very credible because there were a lot of impartial eye witnesses and mutual friends. He was scared to death and went fetal. Not a sign of a warrior. some say he was on coke? If anything that would benefit him. I just don't know man. He might be on to something. Go look at all of mickey rourkes pro boxing matches. They are very obviously rigged coming from the perspective of someone that has ever boxed before. Not saying JCVD is a fake but some shit doesnt check out right.

Seagull sympathizing posts are fun to read when they come about.

He's proved that confidence in something others aren't aware of holds power. These moves are "secret". If they were well know moves that actually worked, they wouldn't be half as talked about. But Seagull knows how to stay relevant, even if people call him on his BS. There are always going to be people who will listen to people like Seagull even if there is evidence of his farce. The dude is a joke and probably knows it, but people still fork in his BS.

You might be trolling but i'll bite.

Shaolin kung fu wouldnt have a resurgence because it was never an effective mma style. But im sure theres some moves that if pulled off can suprise an mma fighter.

Those who are possessed by nothing possess everything.
Morihei Ueshiba

Owe no allegiance to one style. Be open to everything

JCVD's kickboxing record consists of a bunch of no name events in the 70s and 80s. A fights were won by KO, of that none of those opponents have wiki pages and most all KOs were around 1 minute in the 1st round. Van damme was mike tyson!

maybe cause al gore hadn't invented the internet yet?

for someone who grew up without the internet, its hilarious that lack of a page on the internet is logic that proves something didn't happen.

FYI there are pancrase, pride, and even ufc fighters without wikis.

that means he used them in real life.

Real life is more dangerous than MMA because there are no rules.

I beg to differ.

I see what you mean but there is no proof Sensei Seagal used this in real life.

Also, fighting an MMA trained figher/ seasoned competitor is more brutal than a bum on the street. as Bas Rutten once said something like 'so what if the guy claims to have won a bunch of street fights. That cannot be confirmed or denied and people on the street most likely do not train'

Aikido is a great martial art that teaches how to move well with coordination and some great joint locks. Unfortunately the non competitive environment of Aikido leaves little training for game planning, reaction time for unpredictable moves (nobody will attack you by running square at you with arms open, and grab your wrists, I'm sorry), or progression of the techniques through actual trial and error.

I'm about as big of a hater as they come with that guy whos a fucking joke but he's pretty legit in aikido. Regardless of how effective or ineffective I think that discipline is for all practical purposes the man knows his shit. He was a Karate black belt as well.

He's a joke. Just look at his "training" of Anderson and others. It's slap fighting and when going up against other Aikido guys, a sort of self-imposed choreography of belief where your techniques only work if the target is credulous enough to think they are effective. As far as his Karate, or whatever, I doubt he's that skilled given that he can't see through his own bullshit with regards to the Aikido. If he's competed, maybe he can do something in that regard, but I doubt it since he hangs his hat on the Aikido.

Maybe there are a few salvageable techniques in Aikido and they can certainly tumble around and shit, but from what I've seen it's sort of like certain Kung Fu guys who all lay down for the masters in demonstrations in large part, even when they are throwing pure Ki/Chi around and shit.

He's a joke. Just look at his "training" of Anderson and others. It's slap fighting and when going up against other Aikido guys, a sort of self-imposed choreography of belief where your techniques only work if the target is credulous enough to think they are effective. As far as his Karate, or whatever, I doubt he's that skilled given that he can't see through his own bullshit with regards to the Aikido. If he's competed, maybe he can do something in that regard, but I doubt it since he hangs his hat on the Aikido.

Maybe there are a few salvageable techniques in Aikido and they can certainly tumble around and shit, but from what I've seen it's sort of like certain Kung Fu guys who all lay down for the masters in demonstrations in large part, even when they are throwing pure Ki/Chi around and shit.

Agreed. You are preaching to the quire. I'm not the white knight for aikido. I am merely acknowledging he is very good at actual aikido, not that he is a good fighter. As far as him being good in karate or teaching people kicks, LOL have you seen his fat ass?! he can't raise his knee above his waist i bet.

No just like a any top BJJ coach will not teach a black belt an armbar b/c they already know it.

What they will teach you is how to improve or refine your technique or how to better set it up with positioning or simply drill it b/c they think it will be effective in an up coming fight.

I don't see how this is so hard to believe.

Because it's beyond naive to think that the best fighter in the world who has been doing Muay Thai forever greatly improved on one of MT's basic strikes that he has used effectively before after training with an old, overweight Aikido actor. But yeah I am sure he had some great advice for Anderson, because mysticism and stuff.

I just love how karate is pretty much legit now. Someone dig up some threads pre-lyoto machida and see all these mma experts absolutely going to town on karate and TKD.

Agreed. You are preaching to the quire. I'm not the white knight for aikido. I am merely acknowledging he is very good at actual aikido, not that he is a good fighter. As far as him being good in karate or teaching people kicks, LOL have you seen his fat ass?! he can't raise his knee above his waist i bet.

Yeah, I guess that's true that he rose through the ranks but whether due to his interpersonal skills, conviction or actual athleticism and skill, I'll never really know.

I just love how karate is pretty much legit now. Someone dig up some threads pre-lyoto machida and see all these mma experts absolutely going to town on karate and TKD.

We can't help it there are uneducated kids that post here. Karate has been legit and people that have actually followed the sport a while knew this. Keith hackney was a pretty damn good stand up fighter, gerard gordeou even if he's dirty, zane frasier etc. There were a lot of karate fighters that were mildly successful. Fred ettish is the only one that embarassed the sport. In japan a truck load of mma fighters have used it long before machida.

I was a skeptic at one point about how effective karate is for sport fighting then I saw some karate fighter knock a muay thai fighter out cold. Turns out karate and thai boxing had a long rivaled history. They eventually held a tournament many years ago and karate barely beat them by one fight. It was close. It was all of their best thais vs the best kareteka.

TKD has a short history of being proven but I can tell you Showtime was not the first one to make it work in the ufc. The first one was david the crow louisou with his turning back kick. It even shocked joe rogan that TKD has use. People talk about cung le but the majority of the moves i've seen him use are TKD based.

Last edited:

To my recollection, the knock on Karate was mainly that it was incomplete. Anyway, the "Karate" that exists in MMA today is very different from TMA in my view. It's more like it incorporates a Karate style into MMA fighting than a pure stylist with some wrestling and BJJ stepping into the cage.

why is it so hard for shertards to post posting rubbish about this nobody?

To my recollection, the knock on Karate was mainly that it was incomplete. Anyway, the "Karate" that exists in MMA today is very different from TMA in my view. It's more like it incorporates a Karate style into MMA fighting than a pure stylist with some wrestling and BJJ stepping into the cage.

when martial arts travel to other countries a lot of things get lost in translation. Shotokan didn't need to be complete on its own because the founder expected everyone learning to at least be a 1st dan in judo. Well that part got left out and people were studying essentially the second half of the training. Once they got taken down they were fucked.

Back