Why is it so hard for people to admit that Segal is legit?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by thewhiteSRR, Jan 2, 2015.

1. thewhiteSRR

thewhiteSRR Brown Belt

Regardless of what you think about his persona, his movies or his style(Aikido) he's clearly showing these people stuff that works.

It's no fluke that he shows the GOAT and Machida a front kick a few weeks before they destroy two MMA legends with it.

DC even said that he's used holds that Sensei Segal taught him.

Swallow your pride. You were wrong. You assumed a hollywood superstar had nothing to offer a modern MMA fighter and you were proven wrong on 3 occasions.

Segal is legit.

2. SuperNerd

SuperNerd Playoff Mode.

Why is hard to stay in the two active Segal threads?

3. phatron

phatron Black Belt

definitely threadworthy

4. Blayt7hh

Blayt7hh Steel Belt

You honestly think Segal taught Anderson Silva the teep kick?

5. gameoverman

gameoverman Purple Belt

I believe he is the key to Conor Mcgregor defeating Aldo

6. Aliendoll

Aliendoll Orange Belt

He runs like a sissy girl.

7. Unicorn Princes

Unicorn Princes Banned Banned

It's not for me, it's mostly younger people because they are too young or werent alive to watch movies like under siege when they were new

8. Cid

Cid Silver Belt

Never did I think I'd yearn for CM Punk threads.

9. thewhiteSRR

thewhiteSRR Brown Belt

I dunno. What are your thoughts on the matter?

10. Wayweary

Wayweary Silver Belt

He said he used holds on friends as in "check this out; this is what Seagal showed me." Not like he actually used it in fights. The rest is bogus, of course.

He's not legit in martial arts.

11. AliBagaooteenov

AliBagaooteenov Imagine a Prime Yoel Romero Poundin yo Old Lady Banned

Seagal probably paid silva and machida to see them. Seagal is a douchebag who hurts people on movie sets. Aikido is useless in MMA and he runs like a sissy girl if yiu ever seen him running.

12. Hannya MMA

Hannya MMA Blue Belt

What are you gonna expect to some other fat nerds/stupid keyboards haters would say to you? fake this and that, yes Seagal is not an mma expert but he is a traditional martial artist and was residence in japan for almost 20 years in his life.

He was trained by Kiyoshi Ishisaka.

13. HerpDerp

HerpDerp ambitiously unambitious

Obviously he possesses a vast knowledge of lesser-known techniques, and of the principles those techniques are based around, so yes, it would be stupid to assume that Seagal has nothing to offer for high level mixed martial artists. It would also be stupid to assume that Seagal has something absolutely unique to provide that you can't get from anywhere else either; plenty of old TMA masters could provide some extremely valuable insight on different areas of martial arts.

14. phatron

phatron Black Belt

when naming an unknown person it's common courtesy to let others know who he is.

unless you think that is some household name like Bruce Lee or Steven Seagal?

15. Bearknuckle

Bearknuckle Brown Belt

Judo, karate, and Tae Kwon do were all bullshit martial arts too before they werent. Mma fans just try to be all better than everyone too. Being closed minded is harmful to the sport. People always think they have all the techniques figured out and that anything they havent seen doesnt exist or doesnt work.

I mean, i always thought jumping kicks were just for van damme and karate kid movies too. Until machida and pettis made me rethink it.

I also thought spinning shit was fancy for movies but with no substance too. Until i saw bones fuck plenty of "top mma fighters" with them.

But then i was like ok, spinning backfists and elbows may work, but no way do those spinning kicks work. Then i saw edson barboza knock a guy out with one. Then cung le does spinning shit constantly and fucks dudes up!

Then i thought sure maybe those regular spinning kicks work but not those ridiculous capoeira kicks. They
    were just bullshit dance fighting crap. Then i saw some dude do like 3 spins and knock a guy out with it.

So then i go to a kung fu class and saw some bullshit instructor teach some upward elbow while his student stood there and took it. Im like no way does that work on a pro fighter who is in his stance and ready for it. Then anderson silva does that shit to a seasoned vet.

But then i realized that those aikido tosses and misdirection throws would never work in a real fight...to be continued...

My point was the reason why fighters dont do that aikido shit is because they dont fucking try. They train almost 100% on the shit they already know. So thats why u dont see it as often.

Could you imagine if some tough guy who trains UFC saw machida or his brother at the beach practicing his kata and started shit with him?

But bet your fucking life when someone catches a punch and throws a guy down really hard twisting his shoulder and ending the fight, then people will start respecting aikido.

The thing about seagal is cause he's an actor and an asshole of sorts.

16. SirDiddymus

SirDiddymus Banned Banned

Legit dancing skills

[​IMG]

17. phatron

phatron Black Belt

are you going to copy/paste that in every Seagal thread?

Are you his son or something?

18. RD_DemonX

RD_DemonX White Belt

Fun fact,
    While attending a party at Sylvester Stallone's house, Sensai Segal was called out by Jean Claude Van Damme.
    Mr Segal slipped out the back to duck Mr Van Damme.
    Now you know. :D

19. Bearknuckle

Bearknuckle Brown Belt

Well TS is asking a similar question. I didnt want to type out my great work again.

Maybe someone else didnt read it and it will get through their thick, close minded skulls. Unless you have a strong reply, go ahead.

20. tasticles

tasticles Red Belt

I'm about as big of a hater as they come with that guy whos a fucking joke but he's pretty legit in aikido. Regardless of how effective or ineffective I think that discipline is for all practical purposes the man knows his shit. He was a Karate black belt as well.