Why is Dana and UFC so adamant and over fixated on making Jones vs Stipe ? Explain like I'm five please

But uncle I've heard that those Jones and Stipe kids are going to leave the playground after the fight. So why not make this Aspinwall kid play with the famous kids for the future ?

PS: that was great, get my like haha
Son, you have to understand that Jones just doesn't like new kids and Dana can't make them play together. If he does Jones will take his ball and go home and then Dana won't have any balls to play with.

Maybe he's wrong but Jones doesn't think the new kids have been on the playground long enough to play with him. He also doesn't think they're special like him. He only wants to play with the other special kids – like Stipe. If there were an Olympics for special kids, Jones and Stipe would be co-gold medallists. Is Assandballs really that special?

money money money money money

For the same reason they would book Conor "2-3 in his last 5" McGregor as the main event of a PPV over a championship fight with lesser draw fighters. It's all about ticket sales and revenues. UFC believes Jones and Miocic are the 2 biggest draws at HW. It's as simple as that

What's so confusing?

You noted yourself that Jones said it will be his last fight. He has no interest in anyone but Stipe.

From the UFC's perspective, they want that last Jones PPV. Even if it's not a "highly anticipated" fight, a Jones PPV will still sell more than anyone besides Conor.

Explain to me like I'm five please
Jones He Bad man and difficult
Miocic He Good Man and difficult.
Dana He Pink Goof Man and try hard to get Bad Man and Good Man to both say "yes".

Now Pink Man got "yes" he no want let go deez 2 men.

& .....Mommy say DIn-dins ready soon. She got choccy ice-cream too if you good boy today.

I get the appeal of Jones, but Stipe ?

HW "goat" who got KTFO in his last fight and hasn't fought since 3 years and will be 42 soon

Many of us don't want that

Casual fans don't know when Stipe's last fight was, they definitely don't know how old he is.

The UFC can put together a reel for the trailer with Stipe beating DC, Overeem, Ngannou, they have footage of him getting belted over and over again.

The biggest name on Aspinall's resume in terms of someone casual fans would know or recognize from a clip is probably Arlovski.

From a promotional perspective it's night an day.

Son, you have to understand that Jones just doesn't like new kids and Dana can't make them play together. If he does Jones will take his ball and go home and then Dana won't have any balls to play with.

Maybe he's wrong but Jones doesn't think the new kids have been on the playground long enough to play with him. He also doesn't think they're special like him. He only wants to play with the other special kids – like Stipe. If there were an Olympics for special kids, Jones and Stipe would be co-gold medallists. Is Assandballs really that special?

Because jones is washed and doesn’t want to risk a loss facing a legit contender. Dana wants Jones to be their GOAT so he’s giving him 50 year old Stipe to boost his overrated legacy

this

Go to your room!

(You 5yr old)

I have no answers for such a question and it sounds like you’re talking back to your parents

Ignorance imho, just can't see ANY interest for any fan at all.

On paper it's their best fight to make at HW. Jon is pretty much THE goat and Rogan been saying Stipe is the HW goat for years now, so people been calling him that too. Anyway, 2 goats fighting each other, it sells. Casuals will eat that shit. But we all know that Stipe hasn't fought in how long now? Dude is old and it's most probably his last fight. Jon said it's his last fight. Jon doesn't want to fight the new blood. Want to "cement his legacy fighting against the hW gAot". You see how it's a super convenient fight for the UFC?

•If Jon win hes the goat. UFC win
•If Stipe Win he's the HW goat, UFC win
•It will sell well cause mma fans are gullible, UFC win "tWo gOaTs!"
•If they put Aspinal against Jon, Jon won't fight. Period. They won't risk Aspinal to fight against a retiring fighter and lose. So the most exiting fight at HW ( Jon vs Aspinal) is out the window. Two retiring fighter, fighting each other, win win for the UFC.

Seriously I don't get it.

They both said that it will be their last fight. So after it the UFC has a division without champ and needs to build up another title fight. Or promote Aspinall like they did for Aldo in 2017.

Also the fight doesn't seem to have a huge anticipation. Most people wouldn't mind if it doesn't get done and aren't very excited about it.

It doesn't look like something that will make huge sales. Plus Stipe will be freaking 42 by the time the fight is made.

Now sport wise, Stipe hasn't fought since early 2021, where he was sent to the shadow realm by Ngannou. Before you say I'm jealous of him, remember he can't put a freaking sentence together, for real, so don't reach for those grapes.

Now Aspinall is exciting, he's an HW and he's a brit. For all I know Dana should be jumping at the opportunity to have him fight and beat Jones (if he can) because he has then a British fighter who beat one of the Top 3 MMA Goats and he will sell PPV in UK like we sell lemonade on a summer day.

I.Don't.Get.It

Explain to me like I'm five please

It's just a legacy fight that they can keep in the record books and talk about years down the road. It's a very marketable fight as well considering both guys are very established names and pretty much legends. It's also a very rare once in a life time fight where you get a divisional goat vs another divisional goat from the promotion. They both really want to fight each other as well to say they have a win over the other guy. And the fight will be promoted heavily and sell quite well.

I think they are both passed their prime, Stipe is 42 and Jones is 37 when this fight gets made. But on paper Jones is HW champ and Stipe only has one loss in recent years, so "technically" they are both top HWs on top of the division. That's who they can sell it.

It's stupid. The only reason is because Jones has 2 demands to step in the cage again -

1. It's a HW title fight
2. It is against Stipe

So UFC either sets up the Jones vs Stipe HW title fight or Jones does not fight again. It's that simple.

What's so hard to understand is that the UFC never ever did nice farewell fights.

Not for Anderson Silva. Not for Jose Aldo. Not for Frankie Edgar. Not for Chuck Lidell. Nor for Not for Demain Maia. Not for Tyron Woodley.

They always use old legends to build up young contenders.

So why now ?

The UFC will use fighters to their maximized value as they see it. The rare exceptions are guys like Mir being granted a release. If you were unaware, Aldo was also granted an early release to his contract so he could box.

In the case of both Stipe and Jones, they have reached the end of their career. Unlike 99% of their peers in the UFC, they've made millions and have both the means and desire to retire.

The UFC see's pairing these two up in a PPV as maximizing what is left of their value to them. E.g., more value in them headlining together, as compared with attempting to convince them to fight younger contenders before retirement.

Ahh yes. Another dumb Jones bashing thread. With some random idiot saying Jones has basically done nothing. Stay salty my friends.
giphy.gif

They think it will make them more money than the alternatives. They probably have some data (web traffic and consumer polling) to back up that idea.

Bingo......this is it.

It's nothing more than the UFC's analytics say this is the fight that will sell the best. So if they can justify it on any level that makes a little bit sense that is what they will do.

Last edited:
one it's money maker. and jones vs aspinal is too risky for jones. they're giving him respect for what he's done for the company over the years.... stipe? they hate stipe. they don't want him around any longer. they wanna freeze him out, lose to jones then say goodbye.

Back