Why hasn't Guillard been cut?

because he's exciting, and in his losses to Cerrone and Miller - he had them in trouble (Cerrone more-so). He would lose to Lauzon and Miller if they were to rematch, but he wouldn't lose as quickly. Especially the Lauzon fight; he was so damn ****y going in to that fight. He would probably lose to Cerrone just as convincingly if he were to fight him again I concede.

his fights are interesting. would love to see him continue fighting brawlers

You could say the same about Wand. People want to see him fight, and pay a lot of money to see him fight. 9/10 times, win lose or draw his fights are very exciting.

He's exciting
He's a gatekeeper
The org likes him
He has a decent following

Plus I don't think the UFC should be cutting many people since we reached the injury era of MMA. You never know when you will need someone like him to step in before a crippled event.

- I'm not saying I WANT him to get cut or not cut, I don't care either way; this is a factual question regarding whether he "should" be cut given his record and how UFC has treated other fighters.

- He's lost 4/5 fights, having been finished in 3 of those.

- He missed weight on his previous fight.

So why has he not been cut yet? I've seen other fighters get cut with FAR less bad things on their "resume." Heck, it's not unheard of to see fighters get cut with one loss.

It seems he's getting the royal Wanderlei/Chuck/Legend treatment. What I don't get is why. He's never won a UFC belt. He's never really shown much that indicates he COULD win a belt. Guys with a big overhand right are a dime a dozen. I just don't see why the UFC keeps him around and thus keeps some other fighter from getting a chance.

The UFC has a limited number of "slots" available for fights. To keep Melvin Guillard in it rather than some other guy... doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah because having Guillard on the roster is keeping the UFC from giving ANYONE else a chance :rolleyes:

Lets see...

1. He always brings it to a fight, Dana has said a million times thats what they want out of their fighters.

2. Name recognition. MMA is still a baby, the UFC needs as much name recognition as it can get.

3. He has more wins and a better UFC record than 80% of any other signed fighter.

Need any more reasons?

Whats the obsession seeing guys lose their jobs? Seriously there is atleast one thread per day where you guys want someone to get fired. Come on,

I agree with this. I guess the "thought process" is get rid of him so a better, younger world beater can come in and wreck the division. That rarely ever happens though so I don't get the obsession on Sherdog about who's next to get cut. If an unknown guy starts making waves in the local shows, he will eventually get noticed and get his shot at the big show in the UFC.

1) Hes been around a very long time. Makes your career more durable.
2) He can be a very exciting fighter, people like to watch him.
3) Despite the lack of results, we all know the wealth of talent laying dormant. Its easy to get caught in the game of "maybe this time".

Cuz he fights 4 times a year while many others barely manage 2 fights.

Because people want to watch him fight, even if it's just in hope that he loses.

Because people (including me) love to watch him fight win or lose. He always is entertaining.

Your basic answer is because he is entertaining. It's probably the same reason why Dan Hardy didn't get cut when he had 4 losses in a row aswell. Some guy's are good fighters, some guys are bad fighters. Some guys are good fighters but really really boring. Some guys are really really bad and put on a really good show. Melvin? He is pretty good actually, he always makes some dumb mistake though and it get's capitalized on everytime. I really see the potential in him but he is just so aggressive. I guess you could say I like him because he is aggressive but I don't like him because he is aggressive......In a nutshell.

Same reason Dan Hardy wasn't cut. He's entertaining and always wants to throw down. You do know what Dana likes in fighters, right?

He has exciting fights and his only totally crappy performance was against Lauzon. Plus he took the Cerrone fight that he missed weight for on short notice and just after he fought Camoes.

- I'm not saying I WANT him to get cut or not cut, I don't care either way; this is a factual question regarding whether he "should" be cut given his record and how UFC has treated other fighters.

- He's lost 4/5 fights, having been finished in 3 of those.

- He missed weight on his previous fight.

So why has he not been cut yet? I've seen other fighters get cut with FAR less bad things on their "resume." Heck, it's not unheard of to see fighters get cut with one loss.

It seems he's getting the royal Wanderlei/Chuck/Legend treatment. What I don't get is why. He's never won a UFC belt. He's never really shown much that indicates he COULD win a belt. Guys with a big overhand right are a dime a dozen. I just don't see why the UFC keeps him around and thus keeps some other fighter from getting a chance.

The UFC has a limited number of "slots" available for fights. To keep Melvin Guillard in it rather than some other guy... doesn't make sense to me.

He is super fun fights win or lose. He has obscene KO power for LW. He is a TUF alum. The fight he missed weight for was a fight he took on short notice. I can keep going. There are plenty of reasons.

Nice thinly veiled thread about a fighter you dont like.

"I DONT THINK HE SHOULD LOSE HIS JOB... that said, fire him Dana, fire him in his face," -TS.

Last edited:
Sorry, TS. Perhaps some day all UFC fighters will be wrestlers who lay in half guard delivering pitter pat hammerfists, and you and Joe Rogan can nut your pants together over true high level MMA.

Thread blows

win or lose, for the most part, his fights are fun

His losses have come against good guys, and he's generally entertaining.

Back