Why hasn't Guillard been cut?

He has a very exciting fighting style, and his fights have all been exciting, win or lose.

Because most fans (myself included) would rather see Fitch get cut than someone like Guillard.

Whats the obsession seeing guys lose their jobs? Seriously there is atleast one thread per day where you guys want someone to get fired. Come on,

Yes! Enough is enough and enough is too freaking much!

Cutting/not cutting is not an x-and-o game. How you fight, your talent, and fan-following also go into the decision. All of which are in Melvin's favor.

Add to that the fact that the ownership likes him, and it shouldn't shock anyone that he remains on the roster.

Sherdoggers have to realize that when you're fighting the some of the best guys (Miller, Lauzon, etc.) in the world in your division, there's a posibility of losing. It doesn't make him a bad fighter, or a wasted roster spot.

His losses are top guys. Lauzon, Miller, Cowboy, and Varner.

He probably should have beaten Lauzon and Miller. And he's capable of beating Cowboy and Varner. The fight with Varner was fairly close.

They should give him a couple gimmie fights to build his confidence back up. Thats the thing about Guillard. He's streaky and fights best when he's confident. But if he's too confident, he goes out there and does dumb shit like in the Lauzon and Miller fights. He's got to find a good middle ground.

Melvin is an entertaining talented fighter. I've never seen him in a boring fight. I suppose these reasons keep him employed in the UFC.

I see no reason for a man to lose his job when it's hurting no one for him to keep his job. The NBA doesn't just drop the Bobcats, Hornets, or Wizards just because they're doing poorly. I know it's not the best analogy, but you get the point.

The only exception I'd make to this rule would be Leonard Garcia, and that's simply because he seems really outclassed in every fight at this point. A step down in competition is warranted.

He busts his ass off in training.
Not to mention in the fights,he'd be an excellent fighter if some how he could pace himself instead of just running into the fight.

He typically loses or wins in spectacular fashion.

He gained exposure as part of the TUF crowd. In general, he's quite entertaining, and he can absolutely put on a show. He's willing to step up on short notice and with rare exception, is usually the more exciting fighter in a fight.

He's also an excellent gatekeeper, by the literal definition of the word. He stands as a terrific test for a huge chunk of the LW division. It's not just about losing four of his last five - ever since the loss to Clementi and subsequent cutting, he's 8-5. You're not beating him unless you're a LW ready to move on to the next level, and that's why he's here. His losses over the past year and a bit have been against legitimately good competition - Lauzon, Miller, Cerrone, Varner, all good and tough guys (personally speaking, I had the fight against Varner for Guillard, but that's neither here nor there).

He deserves a step or two down in competition so that he can get back on the winning track. Guillard is an asset to the UFC, not a liability.

He's been around a long time. People know who he is. People enjoy watching his fights. Win or lose, he brings it, every time.

tl;dr He's a decent draw. His fights are exciting.

Exactly, I don't care about records really as a fan. Guillard is like matt brown to me, when they fight I actually want to see it. Guillard can test people too. The sad thing is Guillards chin, or he just seems to get caught(perhaps his style). But, Guillard will always be exciting to watch because he can destroy people when he is in his zone.

Ever since strikeforce forced zuffas hand as a competitor, no longer will u see them cut fighters who people know if they can avoid it.

He one of those guys who brings it every time hes in the octagon Dana loves those kind of fighters im sure if he loses a few more though he could be in trouble

He's been around a long time. People know who he is. People enjoy watching his fights. Win or lose, he brings it, every time.

tl;dr He's a decent draw. His fights are exciting.

Yup, this.

And don't forget, it wasn't that long ago, when he was one win shy of a title shot.

Even with the latest downturn in his career, he's still a well-known, exciting fighter. Any event with Guillard on it, assuming he's slated lower on the card than co-main event, is likely to benefit.

I'm pretty sure nobody watching takes a beer break when Melvin steps in the cage.

It's not like Melvin lost every fight and he brings excitement to his matches is why he's still around.

Affirmitive Action.

SO maybe not. It's because even his losses are exciting. Dana, Frank and Lorenzo try to keep those guys as long as they can. It's no secret they love guys who come to fight and give them more leeway than others.

Back