Why GSP v Condit is Rightfully FOTY 2012

All of your reasons are wrong. Here's why:

1. No it's not. It was a back-and-forth brawl that had some great moments, great exchanges, and an awesome finish. It's not overrated at all, if anything I'd say it's underrated because of people like you.

2. Yes, context matters but that doesn't help GSP/Condit much. Was it a great fight? Yeah. But Silva/Sonnen I was so good because Silva was getting his ass kicked by Sonnen and then pulled off one of the greatest comeback wins in history with the triangle in the fifth round. One of three fights to be finished in the fifth. Given the fact that Silva was considered the P4P best and was expected to walk through Chael, Chael beating him up like that was huge.

With that said, GSP/Condit was expected to be GSP wrestling Condit and Condit being active off his back but unable to really get any offense off. That's what happened. Condit landed the head kick and really got the excitement up in the third, but for the most part the fight was exactly as planned.

3. Wasn't a reason.

4. Korean Zombie most definitely isn't new to the octagon. That was his..third fight in the octagon? SOTY against Garcia, KOTN against Hominick, FOTN and SOTN against Poirier (and FOTY from some publications, sorry). It was Poirier's fifth UFC fight.

More importantly, the fight was a title eliminator for the Featherweight Championship, pretty much. Right now KZ is injured so he can't have his shot, so Edgar is getting it. KZ gets the winner. Simple as that. TBH, I don't care what you care about. It's pretty damn high profile. Not bigger than GSP/Condit, no, but still pretty big relative to the division.

5. A lot? No. Some? Yeah. But to say that's the reason GSP/Condit isn't getting FOTY is just disingenuous and wrong. It's because KZ/Poirier was a better fight. Period. So was Lauzon/Varner and Lauzon/Miller. Woo for lighter weight classes.

Back