Why GSP v Condit is Rightfully FOTY 2012

If any fight had my heart in my throat out of the last year, it was gsp vs condit. No contest

tbh. i think that miller vs lauzon was alot better than GSP/condit.

ESPN voted it so and I agree with them, GSP v Condit was officially fight of the year 2012.

Mai too sense!

Your opinion became invalid by the second part. KZ vs Poirier had no context or backstory? It was the first time a Korean was the Main Event in a UFC show. KZ went into the fight with a serious injury, knew he needed surgery, and took it anyway because he didn't want to give up the chance to headline for all of the fans from SoKo. Poirier was ranked around 7 at the time (if i'm not mistaken) and was on a great streak. Zombie was coming off of a knockout on Hominick and Submission of the year with the Twister. KZ is a much better example of a guy who had a rough childhood, trying to make his dreams a reality and giving up everything in order to succeed, than Cain (which makes me cringe whenever the UFC bring up his childhood and how hard his life was).

Just watched KZ vs Poirer and it was a back and forth war

I haven't really watched GSP vs Condit,but the highlights I've seen just look like other then the sloppy head kick,it was just Condit losing

I seriously hope this is a troll attempt...whatta joke! Your in the sherdog forums but don't watch GSP fight? Good try

one fighter trying to make it exciting does not equal the entire fight being exciting, let alone fight of the year candidate.

GSP vs Condit = ESPN 2012 FOTY.
GSP3.jpg

KZ/Poirer had little ramifications on the FW division. Wasn't really that back n' forth, at points it was quite stagnant.
No, KZ vs. Poirier was pretty much a title eliminator, but a lot of unfortunate occurrences happened and it all got cancelled.

Eh.

Other than the headkick that rocked GSP, the fight wasn't even that exciting.

Looks like a warrior who went through a war and came out on top. Thread starter was 100% correct in his detailed analysis. I would just like to add that GSP/Condit was fought at the highest technical level in MMA. Stuff like Lauzon/Miller, while exciting, is bush league compared to the level of GSP Condit. I would also just like to add that Zombie/Poirier was not that competitive. I had Zombie winning every round of that fight.

Highest technical level in MMA?

It was alot of sloppy striking going on in there

And like I said,he just has some stratches,thats all

If GSP just laid there...why was Condit leaking? People on Sherdog sure have a problem giving an opinion not laced with personal opinion and emotion....

GSP landed an elbow in round 1 that opened Condit up

1 elbow doesnt represent an entire fight

I loved the Condit fight, he showed true heart and was really though as he did not break under that pressure GSP put on him, I had goosebumps and was really thankful for being able to witness something like that. Even though it was "onesided" you could see that Condit hurt GSP by looking at his face.

I also loved Joe vs Jim.

Disagree. The fight was not close nor action-packed enough.

Are you kidding me? The only exciting part was Condit's headkick, and GSP's elbow that opened a cut. And btw, besides the cut from that elbow, there was nothing wrong with Condit. He did not look "war torn" because GSP played "try to pass the guard" for most of the fight. GSP however, looked war-torn. Not that exciting.

Condit was a champion in name only.
It was a great fight though. I don't know if GOTY but 2012 was a bad year for the UFC imo

Condit vs GSP was one of the very few fights in 2012 where a champion actually defended his title against a legitimate #1 contender in a fight that wasn't a rematch. Apart from Jones-Evans and Frankie-Benson 1, there were many title fights and other fun fights, but none with as much actual relevance to the weight class as these fight.

Back