Why GSP v Condit is Rightfully FOTY 2012

Goonerview

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
ESPN voted it so and I agree with them, GSP v Condit was officially fight of the year 2012.

Many people dispute this and claim that KZ/Poirer was FOTY. However, I have rewatched both fights and I still believe that GSP/Condit was much more exciting and rightfully crowned FOTY.

Here are my reasons:

1. KZ/Poirer is over-rated:

- Granted it was an awesome fight and rightfully FOTN, but rewatching the fight, there were points in the fight which were quite stagnant.

2. The Background Context to the fight:

-This is probably the biggest reason why GSP/Condit is FOTY. It had a background story, a context! GSP, the unbeatable WW champion being out for 18 months, recovering from a career threatening injury fighting a top contender in Condit, CHAMPION vs CHAMPION, in GSP's hometown of Montreal Canada. The crowd went nuts when GSP came out, the atmosphere alone was absolutely electric. GSP came close to getting finished in the 3rd round but battled back with the heart of a champion and got the victory. Yeah, it was a decision, but both fighters looked completely war-torn by the end of the fight and left it all in there.

In contrast, KZ/Poirer was much more subdued and the there wasn't really any story, the fight didn't have any real ramifications to it, especially now Edgar is challenging Aldo for the title next. There was no antipathy or pre-fight build up to this fight ... it was just two guys .... fighting in a cage ....

3. But but but ... the background context shouldn't matter!! Wahhh ...

- Look, guys the background context to a fight MATTERS. Look, Chael Sonnen v Anderson Silva 1 got FOTY 2010. If that same fight was played out between Costa Phillippou and Tim Boetsch (no disrespect to them) but no-one would give a F**K and it would definitely not get FOTY ...

Chael/Silva 1 was FOTY PRIMARILY BECAUSE of the context and the fact that it was Anderson Silva that was getting owned by Chael Sonnen ... the fact that Chael was making Anderson look human! This fight also had the pre-fight antipathy, trash talk stemming way back from the AS-Maia fight in Abu Dhabi, Chael upsetting Marquadt and leapfrogging him to a title shot, everyone expecting Anderson to finsh Chael in the first round, the crowd going from chanting "SILVA SILVA SILVA" in the first round to "USA USA USA" in the second round ....

...But let's be honest, Chael basically just wrestle-f**ked Anderson and aesthetically, it wasn't a pretty fight to watch. It was essentially the insane amount of background tension that MADE this fight FOTY.

Applying that same logic, GSP v Condit >>>> KZ/Poirer.

4. Higher Profile:

- GSP v Condit was much higher profile, a lot more people have invested emotionally in both of these fighters and there was a lot more at stake ... which made it more exciting. I was on the edge of my seat the entire fight.

- KZ/Poirer was an exciting fight, don't get me wrong, but both fighters re relatively new faces to the octagon and TBH, I didn't really care who won or not.

5. People Just Hatin' on GSP:

A lot of sherdoggers on here (i.e. the Rassler) just don't like to give GSP credit and don't want him getting FOTY ... but, all I can say to that is, DEAL WITH IT :)

Mai too sense!

Last edited:
Apart from Carlos' flailing head kick he was dominated for 5 rounds, it was a really one-sided fight.

Moreover I never considered Condit a (UFC) champion.

edit: what is that word called to describe Condit's kick he landed on Georges' head? A word that describes a weak kick that barely touches the enemy's head.

Last edited:
I was inclinded to agree until I saw u're a gooner

Zombie Poirier did have title implications, as winner was going to be top contender (despite both being ranked 9 and 10 on Sherdog) - Dana said they'd have next shot at Aldo. At that point Edgar wasn't coming to FW. Dustin was on a 5 fight streak, looking more impressive with each fight. Zombie had two impressive wins, the KO and then the twister. At the time this fight had a lot of hype, and it was a big deal that Poirier got submitted.

GSP fight was probably one of the most hugely anticipated returns in sports. GSP handled that ACL recovery perfectly. He dominated Condit and it wasn't even close, despite him stillfighting cautiously. Both were great fights.

I actually like the Lauzon Miller fight or the Diaz Miller fights aswell.

Last edited:
The fight was to one sided to be foty imo.

Glancing Blow???
gsp-messed-up-face.jpg

Just watched KZ vs Poirer and it was a back and forth war

I haven't really watched GSP vs Condit,but the highlights I've seen just look like other then the sloppy head kick,it was just Condit losing

Just watched KZ vs Poirer and it was a back and forth war

I haven't really watched GSP vs Condit,but the highlights I've seen just look like other then the sloppy head kick,it was just Condit losing

I rewatched both before posting this thread. GSP/Condit more was exciting cuz it had more at stake, was champ v champ, was much higher profile. The atmosphere was just intense!

KZ/Poirer had little ramifications on the FW division. Wasn't really that back n' forth, at points it was quite stagnant.

Silva vs Sonnen I was foty because it was an awesome fight. Not because of the trash talk, not because of a background story.
Sonnen dropped Silva with strikes, gnp'ed him for at least 20minutes, Silva dropped Sonnen with a standing elbow, Silva came back with a beautiful triangle/armbar. Shit, that fight was crazy and WILD.

KZ vs Poirier is my foty 2012.

Silva vs Sonnen I was foty because it was an awesome fight. Not because of the trash talk, not because of a background story.
Sonnen dropped Silva with strikes, gnp'ed him for at least 20minutes, Silva dropped Sonnen with a standing elbow, Silva came back with a beautiful triangle/armbar. Shit, that fight was crazy and WILD.

KZ vs Poirier is my foty 2012.

If the same fight had taken place between two no-names, it would have been a 20 minute wrestlef**k with a triangle at the end ....

Because it was the high profile of Chael/Silva and the title being on the line, MADE it more exciting.

Apart from Carlos' flailing head kick he was dominated for 5 rounds, it was a really one-sided fight.

Moreover I never considered Condit a (UFC) champion.

edit: what is that word called to describe Condit's kick he landed on Georges' head? A word that describes a weak kick that barely touches the enemy's head.

It is a graze my friend

what is the official foty then ;?

There is no such thing as official.
But i'd say the World MMA Awards, due to popular voting, is more respected than everybody else's award.

If the same fight had taken place between two no-names, it would have been a 20 minute wrestlef**k with a triangle at the end ....

Because it was the high profile of Chael/Silva and the title being on the line, MADE it more exciting.

Of course the belt on the line made it more exciting....

But if all you saw on that fight was a 20min wrestle fuck with a triangle in the end, i wonder who are you to judge the FIGHT OF THE YEAR, really.

There is no such thing as official.
But i'd say the World MMA Awards, due to popular voting, is more respected than everybody else's award.

Of course the belt on the line made it more exciting....

But if all you saw on that fight was a 20min wrestle fuck with a triangle in the end, i wonder who are you to judge the FIGHT OF THE YEAR, really.

I exaggerated slightly, but was merely stressing the value of a fight having "background" to giving it more excitement. Because this is often overlooked.

Meh...

Erick Silva/Fitch and KZ/Poirier >> GSP/Condit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back