Why GSP v Condit is Rightfully FOTY 2012

I rewatched both before posting this thread. GSP/Condit more was exciting cuz it had more at stake, was champ v champ, was much higher profile.

KZ/Poirer had little ramifications on the FW division. Wasn't really that back n' forth, at points it was quite stagnant.

Oh please Condit had a fake belt

Round 1 They did a lil bit of striking then just took Condit down and just laid trying to keep top posiotion while Condit deffend.It wasnt much down in that round besides a cut being open on Condit

Round 2 it was alot of swinging and missing up untill like the 3:11 mark of the round and the punches they where landing didnt look like it had much power behind them

Heck they spent most that round just missing sloppy shots thrown at each other

Round 3 They do even more missing,then Condit lands a head kick,goes for the finnish and hardly lands jack then GSP gets up,takes Condit down and lays on him to the end of the round

And round 4 and 5 where pretty much more GSP going in his saftey first wrestling mode and just laying on Condit

FOTY my arse

Apart from Carlos' flailing head kick he was dominated for 5 rounds, it was a really one-sided fight.

Moreover I never considered Condit a (UFC) champion.

edit: what is that word called to describe Condit's kick he landed on Georges' head? A word that describes a weak kick that barely touches the enemy's head.

The Japanese call it Zanmato

Man U > Arsenal. and no GSP v Condit is not rightfully FOTY. and no once again, KZ v.s. Poirer was not overrated maybe you should watch it a third time. bye.

The buildup before the fight, all the GSP/Diaz drama, GSP's career-threatening injury and Carlos becoming interim champion made the fight all that more interesting.

The fight was a very emotional one for me (a bit more so as another of my favourite fighters had just been KTFO in under a minute), and I went through the whole register: Nervous anticipation before the fight, happiness as I saw GSP take control of the fight like he always does, pure joy as he was dominating Condit and making him bleed all over the place, confidence coming in to the third round, then shock and fear as Condit hurt GSP and went for the kill, and relief and happiness as I saw GSP survive and make the fight his again.

I don't care what anybody else thinks, but for me, this was definitely FOTY.

Round 1 They did a lil bit of striking then just took Condit down and just laid trying to keep top posiotion while Condit deffend.It wasnt much down in that round besides a cut being open on Condit

It wasnt much *damage in that round besides a cut being open on Condit

The buildup before the fight, all the GSP/Diaz drama, GSP's career-threatening injury and Carlos becoming interim champion made the fight all that more interesting.

The fight was a very emotional one for me (a bit more so as another of my favourite fighters had just been KTFO in under a minute), and I went through the whole register: Nervous anticipation before the fight, happiness as I saw GSP take control of the fight like he always does, pure joy as he was dominating Condit and making him bleed all over the place, confidence coming in to the third round, then shock and fear as Condit hurt GSP and went for the kill, and relief and happiness as I saw GSP survive and make the fight his again.

I don't care what anybody else thinks, but for me, this was definitely FOTY.

Not to mention the Anderson Silva talk and AS cam in round 5 ... GSP had the weight of the world on his shoulders and overcame it to win.

What about Shogun-Vera? That was as exciting as any fight I saw this year.

With all the context taken in I can see why they made that choice. It was a fight between two of the best fighters in the world, it was a big comeback for one of the best fighters in MMA history, it was the unification of the WW titles, the crowd was going insane and so on.

But as for the fight itself GSP was just consistently outfighting Condit the entire time, with the exception of the headkick and what followed that. It's always great to see such skilled fighters compete against each other though.

Oh please Condit had a fake belt

Round 2 it was alot of swinging and missing up untill like the 3:11 mark of the round and the punches they where landing didnt look like it had much power behind them

Heck they spent most that round just missing sloppy shots thrown at each other

Round 3 They do even more missing,then Condit lands a head kick,goes for the finnish and hardly lands jack then GSP gets up,takes Condit down and lays on him to the end of the round

And round 4 and 5 where pretty much more GSP going in his saftey first wrestling mode and just laying on Condit

FOTY my arse

If GSP just laid there...why was Condit leaking? People on Sherdog sure have a problem giving an opinion not laced with personal opinion and emotion....

With all the context taken in I can see why they made that choice. It was a fight between two of the best fighters in the world, it was a big comeback for one of the best fighters in MMA history, it was the unification of the WW titles, the crowd was going insane and so on.

But as for the fight itself GSP was just consistently outfighting Condit the entire time, with the exception of the headkick and what followed that. It's always great to see such skilled fighters compete against each other though.

Context matters. Without context, Silva/Sonnen I would just have been some guy getting pounded four rounds straight and pulling off a hail Mary sub in the fifth.

I don't think it was the best fight of the year (I'd give that to Lauzon/Varner).

However, it was a fight that lived up to its hype and promotion, and certainly to the casual viewer the Condit/St. Pierre fight was a high-intensity fight, with the feeling that Condit was never entirely out of it despite being outclassed for the most part by St. Pierre.

Both were great fights i guess it comes down to personal preference which one u prefer. Personally i wouldve voted for Lauzon/Varner.

fight of the year my ass , Anybody rational person on here could name at least 15 better fights

Not to mention the Anderson Silva talk and AS cam in round 5 ... GSP had the weight of the world on his shoulders and overcame it to win.

The weight of the world would have been accepting the Anderson fight

Back