Why Do People Count Colby Out Against Usman

SpongeJoshSquareCheck

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been seeing a lot of people say that Usman beating Covington is a fore gone conclusion and I gotta call bullshit. In fact I think Colby might be the toughest fight in the division for Usman due to similar styles. For one Colby had the cardio and pressure to match Usman, is younger and is technically the superior wrestler, Colby is a D1 while Usman is D2. Marty is just stronger in the grappling and has slightly superior striking. Not to mention they've had similar performances against common opponents despite Alves, though Colby did have a broken rib at the time. I understand that you kinda have to have Usman as the favorite going into this fight because of the way he rag dolled Woodley but there is no guarantee that Colby also wouldn't have been able to outwork and beat Tyron after that performance. Overall I feel this will be a competitive fight but plays right into what Covington is known for.

Because Colby’s Strengths are Usmans strengths and Usman is better everywhere.

Colby is a guy people dislike enough that they can't seem to look at him objectively, they want him to lose so they will count him out. Look at Jones vs Smith and how do many on here actually gave Smith a chance or believed he would win.

Colby would give him a good fight but I'm not sure he wins .

I don't because I love rooting for the underdog.

This.

Usman is the better dynamic striker, has way more power, is stronger, better mma wrestler and better cardio. And on top of all this, he is maybe around 10lbs bigger.

Usman has looked better beating most of the guys Colby's beat. He's also undefeated and that Tyron win was really dominant against such a hyped fighter who while not the GOAT, was certainly capable of beating any 170 who's ever fought.

I think what says it best is that Dana was willing to take away an interim belt because Colby asked for a few weeks. I think the reason he did that is because Marty impressed him and changed his mind about who should fight for the title next, not because "he blew his opportunity". If Dana's willing to strip an interim belt for no reason(and there was really no reason, Colby's demands of a few extra weeks were super reasonable) to go with the other guy, my hunch is telling me the other guy's considerably better.

Usman has looked better beating most of the guys Colby's beat. He's also undefeated and that Tyron win was really dominant against such a hyped fighter who while not the GOAT, was certainly capable of beating any 170 who's ever fought.

I think what says it best is that Dana was willing to take away an interim belt because Colby asked for a few weeks. I think the reason he did that is because Marty impressed him and changed his mind about who should fight for the title next, not because "he blew his opportunity". If Dana's willing to strip an interim belt for no reason(and there was really no reason, Colby's demands of a few extra weeks were super reasonable) to go with the other guy, my hunch is telling me the other guy's considerably better.
I disagree that he looked better against EVERY guy. For instance Colby left Maia in a pool of blood, Usman merely outpointed him and was in a few bad spots in that fight. I think Dana might have just been annoyed for Colby wanting more money

Because they are dumb as fuck, Colby is a better wrestler than Snoozeman and he will toy with him, hope this helps.

<TrumpWrong1>

Colby's strength is Usman's weakness.

Usman wants to get a hold of you and Colby is the GOAT of clinch reversals.

PlS6rZ6.gif

D1 Colby will embarrass Usman's D2 wrestling.

Usman is better literally everywhere.

I picked Usman over Woodley, you can check my post history. Colby can’t hold either’s jock. His incel fanboys aren’t changing that.

I think they do mostly the same things, but Usman is bigger and a little better standing.

I've been seeing a lot of people say that Usman beating Covington is a fore gone conclusion and I gotta call bullshit. In fact I think Colby might be the toughest fight in the division for Usman due to similar styles. For one Colby had the cardio and pressure to match Usman, is younger and is technically the superior wrestler, Colby is a D1 while Usman is D2. Marty is just stronger in the grappling and has slightly superior striking. Not to mention they've had similar performances against common opponents despite Alves, though Colby did have a broken rib at the time. I understand that you kinda have to have Usman as the favorite going into this fight because of the way he rag dolled Woodley but there is no guarantee that Colby also wouldn't have been able to outwork and beat Tyron after that performance. Overall I feel this will be a competitive fight but plays right into what Covington is known for.
When does D1 mean you're better than D2? Did Tervel Dlagnev not win the 2016 olympic trials? Win bronze twice at the world championships?

I disagree that he looked better against EVERY guy. For instance Colby left Maia in a pool of blood, Usman merely outpointed him and was in a few bad spots in that fight. I think Dana might have just been annoyed for Colby wanting more money
Maia sure.

RDA though? Not even close. Usman flat out dominated him and ragdolled him for rounds on end. Covington won convincingly, but RDA took rounds from him.

Either will probably win by wall and stall/lay and pray.

I don't buy the narrative that usman has better striking than colby. They're both bad strikers, but colby is willing to throw a lot more on the feet than usman is and he could just burry usman in output. Usman also reacts to getting hit far worse than Colby does. Colby is much more game on the feet than usman.

Last edited:

Fair point. Maia I think nullifies Marty's skills more though. I will always see Maia as AS's dancing partner, no matter how many years he utterly dominates.

Thing is if Dana was truly annoyed at Colby he could have fucked with him way more. Could have demanded Colby fight someone else before getting a shot, or skipped over Colby. Instead he announces Colby's next the night of the previous title fight, something Dana hates doing. I really do think it was just Marty deserved it more. Dana's argument just isn't logical given all the shit he's putten up with, if Colby was recovering from surgery and needed a few weeks that's just not the type of thing that gets you hopped over in line when you don't have a belt, nm when you do. Even Tony was different cause that happened right before a title fight when postponing the thing wasn't an option

I think a lot of Colby being underestimated imo is the fact that his personality closely resembles that of an unflushed toilet.
That aside I wouldn't count Colby out at all.
My gut however tells me that Usman is on another level.

Back