Why do people consider Penn/GSP 1 a robbery?

If the undersized fighter dont win,he dont win. - Takada
P.S. Takada didnt say this.

But he would....

if ya asked him.
This iz deep, what you´re sayin´, my friend...

minowa indeed - 2.gif

For those of us who were around for this might remember this fight was and still is always called a robbery for GSP but going back and watching it again 14 years later GSP pretty clearly won the last 2 rounds easily (except in the eyes of the redoubtable Cecil Peoples)

At the time alot of people made a big deal about how GSP looked after the fight vs. how BJ looked but most of that damage came in the 1st round which Penn won anyway. Not to mention the swollen eye was the result of an illegal thumb poke.

GSP landed more strikes, landed at a higher clip, controlled Penn against the fence, and landed multiple takedowns in the final 2 rounds.

I think maybe this was a case of alot of new fans from the TUF era not understanding MMA enough

View attachment 787408
Yeah, it was a clear GSP win but Penn beat the shit out of him in round 1 while GSP just won the 2nd and 3rd with clear control but not as decisively.

Fights like this always end up being called "robberies" for some reason when in reality they are just close fights with one guy having a fairly clear edge based on the criteria laid out for scoring a fight under the unified rules of MMA.

'hobbery' is an inaccurate term here, jus´like this eye poke narrative used by the No Rush fanbase to deflect No Rush´s limited skill set at the time.

Nuff´Said.
Lol, I like you dude and am a much bigger Penn fan then GSP fan but your "no rush limited skill set" narrative is fucking ridiculous since he won RDS 2 and 3 by demonstrating a more complete skill set then BJ utilizing all aspects of MMA to neutralize and take over a fight in which he was badly beaten and demoralized in over the opening 5 minutes to the point he was contemplating not answering the bell after the 1st RD due to his broken nose and shaken confidence.

In true GSP fashion though despite his fear and apprehension he did go back out and scored the biggest win (at the time) of his career.

29-28 against a guy who was more a 145 fighter
BJ Penn was something special in his prime,
BJ Penn inflicted more damages

in the rematch GSP cheated because he was scared, he greased his body

Lol, I like you dude and am a much bigger Penn fan then GSP fan but your "no rush limited skill set" narrative is fucking ridiculous since he won RDS 2 and 3 by demonstrating a more complete skill set then BJ utilizing all aspects of MMA to neutralize and take over a fight in which he was badly beaten and demoralized in over the opening 5 minutes to the point he was contemplating not answering the bell after the 1st RD due to his broken nose and shaken confidence.

In true GSP fashion though despite his fear and apprehension he did go back out and scored the biggest win (at the time) of his career.
ok, no hate for boss, letz try to solve this riddle together.

1/ What was No Rush´s corner´s gameplan b4 the fight?

2/ What was No Rush´s corner´s assessment of the 1st Rd, at the end of that Rd?

Im fully aware that no No Rush ´tards, especially ITT, can answer these 2 very simple questions.

Last edited:
It's the worst split decision in history. Fuckin idiot judge heard the crowd "Oooh" and "Ahhh" after BJ threw up both of his legs in the last minute of the fight, as if he had locked up a gogoplata.

Also, GSP's was cut up from round 1. Idiots can't see past that.

The wars that GSP fans had with BJ fans gives me fond memories. We are still here but the BJ fans have been rather quiet for the last several years.

It was a clear 29-28 GSP

Cecil fucking Peoples scored it 29-28 for BJ, that's all you need to know

Anyone else calling it a robbery is more than likely a salty BJ fan or a GSP hater
If the other two judges were more motivated, BJ would have won.

No, its calling a spade a spade.

Was BJ Penn advance for that era of lightweights? Yes. His groundgame was unmatched and his striking far better than most.

Was he ever 'The GOAT?' Not even close.

GOAT-contenders have had tough fights in which they've battled back from adversity. BJ Penn either overwhelms his opponents from the first round to the end of the fight, or he realizes he's outmatched in the first round and eventually quits.

That's why BJ Penn isn't, and never was, the GOAT. He's a quitter.

Even Conor McGregor, who I'm also not a fan of, battled Diaz in the rematch all five rounds, even though he was gassed by end of the 2nd round, to win by decision. (Personally I had it a draw)

McGregor also is no where close to being a GOAT in any weightclass but at least he has ONE tough fight he battled through adversity to win. I give him that respect for it.

Calling a spade a spade.
So who was LW GOAT in 2005, 2008, 2011, 2015 or 2018?

It’s safe to say we know the answer in 2020. But if Penn was never GOAT (for a criteria you just defined - must overcome adversity - but I’ve personally never seen defined as a GOAT criteria before), who was it before Khabib? And why?

Please don’t say Bendo. “There wasn’t one” is an acceptable answer.

Last edited:
Same reason people think GSP vs Hendricks was a robbery, just go back and look at most fights and you’ll see the judges got it right pretty much all the time.

Further to this. Turn the volume off - no commentary and no interference/influence.

So who was LW GOAT in 2005, 2008, 2011, 2015 or 2018?

When I said GOAT-Contenders, I meant P4P GOAT.

Its pretty obvious Penn was the LW GOAT until Frankie dethroned him, then beat him in the rematch, and later humiliated him in the 3rd fight.

Since then, its also very clear Khabib is the division's GOAT.

hmmm...nah...Im actually sayin´that 10-10 or 10-9 No Rush are not less absurd than 10-8 BJ . Those 3 options are not realistic ones, which makes your assessment kindah ridiculous, tbh...

no, you're wrong. anyone that watches that fight will agree with me and laugh at you some more.

Mean thread, it's been a rough few years, let me keep my rose glasses.

I watched that fight live at the time, and was a sherdogger at the time, and I don't remember anybody ever calling it a robbery.

Cause of BJ and his fan base who are fanatics. It was a close fight, a split decision, but Penns fans couldn't let it go. And part of that was based on how GSP looked after the fight.

GSP won the last two rounds IMO, should have been a UD

Back