Why do people consider Penn/GSP 1 a robbery?

welcometohavoc

Yellow Card
Yellow Card
Reaction score
For those of us who were around for this might remember this fight was and still is always called a robbery for GSP but going back and watching it again 14 years later GSP pretty clearly won the last 2 rounds easily (except in the eyes of the redoubtable Cecil Peoples)

At the time alot of people made a big deal about how GSP looked after the fight vs. how BJ looked but most of that damage came in the 1st round which Penn won anyway. Not to mention the swollen eye was the result of an illegal thumb poke.

GSP landed more strikes, landed at a higher clip, controlled Penn against the fence, and landed multiple takedowns in the final 2 rounds.

I think maybe this was a case of alot of new fans from the TUF era not understanding MMA enough

upload_2020-7-31_3-48-31.png

Because BJ had a ridiculous fan base around that time and GSP had yet to be an established Superstar. Add in GSP having to go to the hospital after the fight and Penn going out for beers that made this easy decision controversial.

BJ Penn by far had the dumbest most delusional nuthuggers in Sherdog history.

Their leader was this idiot poster, Positivebalance, who kept bumping this GSP vs Penn thread for months and months which instigated a lot of friction / arguments between the two sides.

I think it was just hours after the second Frankie Edgar loss that Positivebalance was finally put down by a fellow mod after throwing a tantrum.

Last edited:
Penn used to have the worst nuthuggers in the sport

I'm not even exaggerating, I mean literally the worst fans ever
Yeah seeing them cope with his harsh downfall was weird. It would be like if a khabib or tony type went on a 6 fight skid

GSP clearly won 2 & 3. BJ messed George up In the first. That was the only imo that George was LnP. He constantly kept looking at the big screen fight clock.

It didn’t help when the results were in, Bj’s corner kept saying. “Look at his face.” Implying GSPwas more damage, which I think the cut and blood made it look more worst than it was.

Edit: can’t forget the eye poke.

Coz BJ never really lost the belt. He dropped it and when to a different promotion. When he came back, people still he him as the champ. They wanted to see the Hughes (champ that time) rematch. But that young Canadian kid went on and messed up their hopes to see the BJ/Hughes rematch. Although BJ only won round 1 and clearly lost the next 2 rounds, people are bitter about it.

For those of us who were around for this might remember this fight was and still is always called a robbery for GSP but going back and watching it again 14 years later GSP pretty clearly won the last 2 rounds easily (except in the eyes of the redoubtable Cecil Peoples)

At the time alot of people made a big deal about how GSP looked after the fight vs. how BJ looked but most of that damage came in the 1st round which Penn won anyway. Not to mention the swollen eye was the result of an illegal thumb poke.

GSP landed more strikes, landed at a higher clip, controlled Penn against the fence, and landed multiple takedowns in the final 2 rounds.

I think maybe this was a case of alot of new fans from the TUF era not understanding MMA enough

View attachment 787408

GSP clearly won 2 & 3. BJ messed George up In the first. That was the only imo that George was LnP. He constantly kept looking at the big screen fight clock.

It didn’t help when the results were in, Bj’s corner kept saying. “Look at his face.” Implying GSPwas more damage, which I think the cut and blood made it look more worst than it was.

Edit: can’t forget the eye poke.
'hobbery' is an inaccurate term here, jus´like this eye poke narrative used by the No Rush fanbase to deflect No Rush´s limited skill set at the time.

Nuff´Said.

Penn used to have the worst nuthuggers in the sport

I'm not even exaggerating, I mean literally the worst fans ever
then conor came. as a bj fan anyone saying he should have won the fight should be insta banned. how conor fans surpassed bj's in forms of delusion is beyond me. bj fans were crazy. i tihnk a mod was banned at one point too

No Rush? Limited skill set? Eye poke narrative? The fuck are you talking about?
Dafook Im talkin´about? Im tellin´you that you dont know what you´re talkin´about, mate... & hespect No Rush´s nick, ffs.!

Dafook Im talkin´about? Im tellin´you that you dont know what you´re talkin´about, mate... & hespect No Rush´s nick, ffs.!
GSP-QMI-Agency.jpg

Back