Why didn't the UFC ever pit Anderson Silva against top ranked opponents at LHW?

WTF? Did you watched ufc back then? Most fan I was watching mma with back then saw like me an easy fight for the spider. Griffin is a slow plodding sloppy striker and silva was fast and smooth. Don't need to be fucking joe silva to see that. :rolleyes:

Slow, plodding, sloppy ... OK. He was also a top ranked LHW and one fight removed from being champion, which answers the question in the OP.

I recall a lot of the pros picked Griffin to decision Silva.

The first fight I could understand he wanted to test the waters...he passed with flying colors and as a bonus I believe they cut the Sandman for his efforts after that. I really would have like to see Rashad Evans or another top guy against him. Why didn't it ever happen? ANd will it?

Irvin had two more fights in the UFC after Silva - Sakara at MW when he looked like Skeletor and then Pokrajac back at LHW.

I will repeat the point you seem to not understand.

When a top LHW (or fighter) is offered a last minute fight where they cannot cut properly or have a training camp hey will almost always decline unless there is unusually big upside for them.

Vitor and Sonnen despite many being dumb enough to believe it, did not jump at the chance to fight Jones on last minute notice because they were 'brave and will fight anyone', as so many foolishly said. it was because from about a 215-220 weight they could easily make the quick cut to fight at LHW. the top lhw's would struggle.

I weigh 205 naturally so if tomorrow I wanted to fight a number of top lhw (who all could beat my ass with no camp) they would all pretty much turn the fight down (if it could get sanctioned) because they would not be able to cut and make weight that fast.

So there is no credit in saying guys turned down a short notice fight.

No it proves our point that Silva was willing to fight anyone and wasn't protecting his career as you have been saying.

Doesn't it. :icon_lol:

dude if you aren't trolling you are just the most ignorant person i've met on sherdog lol
7/10 for making me respond
you know or should no that isn;t true

I should know that elite fighters are not time proven? is that what you're saying?

I hope not.

Isn't it YOUR obsession to put SIlva in a bad light EVERY thread that has his name on it?

I find it pathetic that you call others while failing to ackowledge the HATER you
are.

Silva fought Hendo. A big LHW WRESTLER. How did that go?

The problem here is that your stupid brain failed to think that, up until Sonnen's fight, NO ONE thought it was such a great deal.

And you mention Weidman like he's been in MMA for a decade and Silva run from him.

Seriously, you are simply a pathetic hater-revisionist.

lol.

in the post you quote me I call Anderson arguably the greatest champ on balance the sport has seen. I am a GSP fan who has always said I rank Fedor and Anderson as the 1a and 1b of GOAT and GSP a tier below.

But I am a 'hater' in Anderson fan eyes why? because I also admit he had an area of weakness and will not pretend he did not.

Classic.

Oh and not every wrestling based fighter is the same. Hendo who lost to Anderson and Shields at MW was not seen as the type of wrestler to implement a 5 round grapplefuck game plan with a high level of cardio and pressure. he had evolved, on a similar path to BJ, into a guy who was mostly a striking threat but could give anyone a round or so of good grappling before gassing out.

Isn't it YOUR obsession to put SIlva in a bad light EVERY thread that has his name on it?

I find it pathetic that you call others while failing to ackowledge the HATER you
are.

Silva fought Hendo. A big LHW WRESTLER. How did that go?

The problem here is that your stupid brain failed to think that, up until Sonnen's fight, NO ONE thought it was such a great deal.

And you mention Weidman like he's been in MMA for a decade and Silva run from him.

Seriously, you are simply a pathetic hater-revisionist.

Since when is Hendo a big LHW wrestler, let alone a LHW? He's a natural MW. Not to mention that Silva fought him at MW.

this thread isn't called "why didn't the ufc ever pit anderson silva against an all-time elite lhw at the peak of their prime."

calling forrest a one hit wonder is pretty ridiculous.

K...let's see if that's true

What did Forrest do before and after the brief period he was champion? was he considered elite before he fought an injured Shogun? did he remain elite after losing the belt?

lol.

in the post you quote me I call Anderson arguably the greatest champ on balance the sport has seen. I am a GSP fan who has always said I rank Fedor and Anderson as the 1a and 1b of GOAT and GSP a tier below.

But I am a 'hater' in Anderson fan eyes why? because I also admit he had an area of weakness and will not pretend he did not.

Classic.

Oh and not every wrestling based fighter is the same. Hendo who lost to Anderson and Shields at MW was not seen as the type of wrestler to implement a 5 round grapplefuck game plan with a high level of cardio and pressure. he had evolved, on a similar path to BJ, into a guy who was mostly a striking threat but could give anyone a round or so of good grappling before gassing out.

Admitting the obvious means nothing. You are a known hater with a known agenda.
You never even talked about Anderson until talks of a superfight with St. Pierre and comparisons between them both started. Back then your obsession was with BJ Penn. I wonder why. :icon_lol:

I should know that elite fighters are not time proven? is that what you're saying?

I hope not.

Your earlier quote

"Forrest was never an elite fighter. He was a gatekeeper who reached the top for a very brief period of time after beating an injured fighter and winning a close controversial title fight, and then he completely fell off the map.

Elite fighters are time proven, Forrest was a one hit wonder."

Forrest in his UFC Career Posted Victories over

Tito Ortiz
Tito Ortiz
Shogun
Rich Franklin
Rampage Jackson (for the championship)
Bonnar (tuf)
Bonnar

You need to just stop posting. :icon_sad:

Admitting the obvious means nothing. You are a known hater with a known agenda.
You never even talked about Anderson until talks of a superfight with St. Pierre and comparisons between them both started. Back then your obsession was with BJ Penn. I wonder why. :icon_lol:

I'm wondering why

Forrest was never an elite fighter. He was a gatekeeper who reached the top for a very brief period of time after beating an injured fighter and winning a close controversial title fight, and then he completely fell off the map.

Elite fighters are time proven, Forrest was a one hit wonder.

dude if you aren't trolling you are just the most ignorant person i've met on sherdog lol
7/10 for making me respond
you know or should no that isn;t true

in a recent thread on this site asking fans to rank all the UFC lhw champs from best to worst Forrest was last or second last for most.

he was a tough gritty fighter, similar to a Cote at MW. and Cote had his one run at MW which resulted in a title fight, unfortunately for him he had to fight Anderson. imagine if he could have instead fought someone else for the belt and grabbed that belt and then fell away to gatekeeper status like Forrest has.

You mean like the number 4 ranked LHW on the planet and on short notice? Oh wait...

Your earlier quote

"Forrest was never an elite fighter. He was a gatekeeper who reached the top for a very brief period of time after beating an injured fighter and winning a close controversial title fight, and then he completely fell off the map.

Elite fighters are time proven, Forrest was a one hit wonder."

Forrest in his UFC Career Posted Victories over

Tito Ortiz
Tito Ortiz

Shogun
Rich Franklin
Rampage Jackson (for the championship)
Bonnar (tuf)
Bonnar

You need to just stop posting. :icon_sad:

Jesus...:icon_lol:

When you have to list an out of prime Tito, an out of prime Franklin, Bonnar and an injured top fighter (who he lost to later in devastating fashion), then your in trouble.

Someone's grasping at straws.

You mean like the number 4 ranked LHW on the planet and on short notice? Oh wait...

trust me we've been trying to tell them. it's haterism at it's finest with bad historical revisionism thrown in.

No it proves our point that Silva was willing to fight anyone and wasn't protecting his career as you have been saying.

Doesn't it. :icon_lol:

No it FACTUALLY does not.

Again dumb fans do not understand this. So they will say 'Ohhh Vitor and Sonnen are bosses willing to fight anyone, and braver then most top LHWs as they were willing to fight Jones on short notice and the top LHW's said no'.

they are wrong.

Also just because the UfC asks the fighter on short notice if they will take the fight on short notice, and they say no, DOES NOT MEAN, Anderson would accept the fight if they said yes.

Again I will highlight the example of Aldo looking a couple years ago for a LW fight and asking for Sherk. When that fight could not happen and the UFC offered Florian, who wanted the fight, the Aldo camp said no.

Jesus...:icon_lol:

When you have to list an out of prime Tito, an out of prime Franklin, Bonnar and an injured top fighter (who he lost to later in devastating fashion), then your in trouble.

Someone's grasping at straws.

wow.............. it's like you live in some alternate reality that no one can influence.
i'm sure someone else will handle this, my head hurts from this stupidity. just wow.

Back