Why didn't the UFC ever pit Anderson Silva against top ranked opponents at LHW?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by 99Silva, Oct 3, 2013.

1. 99Silva

99Silva Banned Banned

The first fight I could understand he wanted to test the waters...he passed with flying colors and as a bonus I believe they cut the Sandman for his efforts after that. I really would have like to see Rashad Evans or another top guy against him. Why didn't it ever happen? ANd will it?

2. eiyuu

eiyuu Silver Belt

Forrest Griffin had just lost the LHW title when he was matched up against Silva. He was still top ten at that point.

3. Allan__Martel

Allan__Martel King of the ring Banned

and he was a Tailor made opponent for silva. Rogan admited it after the fight. easy win for the spider.

4. jiujitsuforever

jiujitsuforever Banned Banned

north carolina: aka most bipolar weather on the ea
    they didnt put him against any top wreslters because i feel he would lose bad...he already struggles against wrestlers at middle

5. TFanatic

TFanatic Silver Belt

According to a few people including Irvin, 4 LHW's turned down the Silva fight before he accepted. I believe it was Rashad, Thiago, Jardine, and one more that I don't remember.

Inb4 Kneeuinthenutz and his asspain.

6. MMABrooklyn

MMABrooklyn Purple Belt

Rogan isn't a match maker so he can't admit anything on that end. Also if Forrest would of muscled Silva I'm sure Rogan would of talk about how you beat Anderson is by being the bigger stronger guy, yada yada yada.

7. eiyuu

eiyuu Silver Belt

He was top 4 ranked at the time, so he was matched against top LHWs, which answers TS' question.:

[​IMG]

Tailor made? That's your opinion, not fact. Fact is, Forrest was top 4 ranked.

8. bma44

bma44 Red Belt

Because he was the MW champion. Why continually throw him against top LHWs when A. he wins and knocks off a potential contender or B. losses and now your champ just got beat?

Same reason they don't start having Aldo fight Gray Maynard or Khabib between his title defenses.

9. kpt018

kpt018 Gold Belt

Because he is a damn MW, that's why. I don't care how dominant a fighter is, a move up in weight is no simple task. That goes for Jones too. If he moves to HW, he should start with lesser talent. I doubt the UFC allows that, but it would be the smart move.

10. csroster

csroster Silver Belt

This.

11. Allan__Martel

WTF? Did you watched ufc back then? Most fan I was watching mma with back then saw like me an easy fight for the spider. Griffin is a slow plodding sloppy striker and silva was fast and smooth. Don't need to be fucking joe silva to see that. :rolleyes:

12. mma pratice**

mma pratice** Banned Banned

I'm pretty sure Forrest was not his first option, there were other LHW's who declined a fight against Silva...

Also Forrest was a top 5 LHW

GSP or Jones would never fight a top 5 opponent from a higher weight class, I don't care how well they supposedly match up with them.

So yeah, Silva has accomplished something that GSP will never be able to claim, which is to beat a top 5 opponent from a higher weight class, he also did it from a lower weight class.

13. s1fys

s1fys abc

That's only in hindsight.

Many people thought Forrest has the range to keep Silva at bay, or the size and grappling to grind him out.

14. Allan__Martel

Where did I say he wasen't top 5??? I said forest style was perfect to highlight silva's strenght. Learn reading comprehention.

15. Allan__Martel

Most I talked with back then said Forest slow sloppy style would make it easier for silva. I supported that theory too. Maybe we should look for the vegas betting line. Just for fun. Do they archive those somewhere?

EDIT: Betting line for the fight was -350 for Silva for +250 Griffin.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  16. Mikedh

Mikedh Silver Belt

It would have been dumb to keep him at 205 because he never intended on challanging for the belt anyway. He would have just picked off contenders or lost outside of his regular weight class.

17. csroster

csroster Silver Belt

Something about this line of reasoning always rubs me the wrong way.

You may as well say all the opponents Silva dominated were tailor made for him, or all the opponents GSP has dominated were tailor made for him, or Aldo's opponents are tailor made, or Jon's opponents are tailor made.

Isn't the entire idea behind being a dominant fighter that stylistically very few opponents match up well against you?

18. Allan__Martel

youre generalising. Let's say all peoples in LA are libs. that's generalising... Tailor made is a reality look at boxing they use it to pad record or protect champs, mma is the same. If you don't want to admit this variable exist in fight sports it's up to you.

19. eiyuu

eiyuu Silver Belt

I read your post perfectly. You should read ALL of mine as well, before getting your panties in a bunch.

20. Allan__Martel

More like yours are in a bunch becose I never said Griffin wasn't top 5.