Why didn't the UFC ever pit Anderson Silva against top ranked opponents at LHW?

Forrest was a top 5 ranked fighter when he took on Silva. One thing you need to realize is that elite LHWs are usually taking fights in the mix for the title

silva is full of more b.s. than a used car salesman.

Flashback, for the fools who keep thinking his words are gold.

Anderson Silva Wants Biggest Fights Possible: Silva vs. Brock Lesnar?
By Brian Oswald
January 22, 2010

Manager Ed Soares updated mixed martial arts fans with the latest on what Anderson Silva wants today on "Inside MMA" on HDNet .

"He wants to be in the biggest fights possible: where it's [Georges St. Pierre], whether it'd be at light heavyweight, or whether it'd even be at heavyweight," Soares said. "It doesn't make a difference. He wants to be involved in the biggest fights possible."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-the-biggest-fights-possible-silva-vs-lesnar

Anderson loves to mess with the media. ..

That is a quote from his manager not him. If you are going to try and make someone out to be a lying scumbag at least quote them directly.

Since when is Hendo a big LHW wrestler, let alone a LHW? He's a natural MW. Not to mention that Silva fought him at MW.

er... the point here is that he is a wrestler.
Weather big or small it matters little.

They did give him Forrest who was a former champ. Irvin was really a test for him at LHW and Bonnar was a fill in main event last minute.

The Irvin fight was also thrown together at the last minute because the UFC decided to counter program Affliction.

He was top 4 ranked at the time, so he was matched against top LHWs, which answers TS' question.:

j9ajno.jpg

Tailor made? That's your opinion, not fact. Fact is, Forrest was top 4 ranked.

and this just goes to show you that rankings mean jack shit in the world of stylesmakefights :icon_neut

First off all, a champion shouldnt even be fighting in a higher weightclass while still being the champ. Silva did it 3 times, against 3 big lhws.
Irvin was 3-1 with 3 KO's, Forrest was ranked as nr4 and was the former champ, he fought Bonnar to save an event, it was a bit of a gimme fight, but no matter what, its still risky to fight a 6"4 230lbs fighter who has been caught with steroids before(and got caught after the fight too).

Because Silva would have lost to Machida(not that they would have fought),Rua, Evans or maybe even Rampage. Siva just wanted to make the occasional foray into LHW to give the impression he was better than all the LHW's even though he wasn't. So they gave Silva a can or too mixed in with Forrest Griffin to give the impression he could dominate at LHW. I must admit the win over Forrest was impressive but was a good matchup for Silva.

I'm back. I believe OP's question was
"Why didn't the UFC ever pit Anderson Silva against top ranked opponents at LHW?"
I believe Forest was ranked 4th at time they fought.
Why is the argument still rolling?

I'm back. I believe OP's question was
"Why didn't the UFC ever pit Anderson Silva against top ranked opponents at LHW?"
I believe Forest was ranked 4th at time they fought.
Why is the argument still rolling?

Haters' hate has no boundaries.

But he was a top ranked fighter at the time

and I believe the question was

and I believe Forest was ranked 4th at time they fought.

And so what?
Do you think that because you call him GOAT it means you can shit on him on every turn? LOL

Give all excuse you want, retard.
Hendo is a wrestler. Deal with it.
Because your stupid point is that he "avoided" fighters such as Weidman, then how much "wrestling" did Weidman use to win?

You, as usual, is on dreamland.

The only point you bring up in here worth something, is the fact you are a GSP fan who tries to put Down Anderson due to obvious rivalry. Weather purposely or without your own knowledge.

like I said, your definition of hate is anyone who won't say 'ZOMG Anderson had no weaknesses and was a god like perfect fighter'.

Yesterday in another thread I wrote about GSP's weakness areas while pointing to his areas of strength also. I did not have nutty GSP fans calling me a hater because I did not call him perfect.

I have seen well known Anderson fans on this site attacked over and over and called 'not real fans' because they acknowledge Andersons weakness areas while talking about his strengths.

there is an extreme and nutty fan group almost like no other in MMA associated with Anderson who attack any suggestion that he has a weakness area that most could see could be exploited.

And funny thing is those same posters KNOW IT as they are also the ones who argue the loudest against Anderson ever fighting someone who has those strengths, like you bitch, cried and did every thing to say Weidman did not deserve and should not get a fight with Anderson.

And no one is saying Hendo does not have a wrestling background. Simply pointing and saying guys like Hendo or Chuck Liddell or Rampage have wrestling backgrounds does not mean they are the type of wrestler who typically can and does implement a 5 round, super high pace grind you out type fight. You are not proving anything by using Hendo as the example.

To James Irvin himself.

quote him naming the names please?

I know he mentioned 4 fighters, but have NEVER seen anyone quote anything naming the names but I have seen Anderson fans make up their own list and repeat it and it seems like they make that list up based on who they think Anderson will get the most credit for.

But as I said prior, a top fighter in ANY DIVISION turning down a short notice fight is expected. Few will want to take a high risk fight when they have to do an ugly cut and no camp.

Irvin, Bonnar, and Griffin are top lhws? Forrest never even got close to another shot and Bonnar's longest win streak is 3.

Forrest beat Franklin and Tito and if he beat Shogun the second time he wouldve been up there. That's not close?

quote him naming the names please?

I know he mentioned 4 fighters, but have NEVER seen anyone quote anything naming the names but I have seen Anderson fans make up their own list and repeat it and it seems like they make that list up based on who they think Anderson will get the most credit for.

But as I said prior, a top fighter in ANY DIVISION turning down a short notice fight is expected. Few will want to take a high risk fight when they have to do an ugly cut and no camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtr
Source?
Here is your source (from Twitter)

MikeyO_MMA‏@MikeyO_MMA
@JamesIrvin now that much time has passed, can you PLEASE tell us some of (or all) the 4 fighters who said no to Andy Silva b4 u accepted???

IrvinJames Irvin‏@JamesIrvin
@MikeyO_MMA 2 of the guys who turned fight down r frends of mine so i dont wana say but i know thiago silva was one who turned it down

MikeyO_MMA‏@MikeyO_MMA
@JamesIrvin I am hearing the other 3 are Rashad, Jardine, and Brandon Vera...any comment? Props for stepping up and facing the Spider BTW.

James Irvin‏@JamesIrvin
@MikeyO_MMA u nailed em, how did u find that info out?

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....thread=2015543

Welp there's James Irvin confirming all of those exact names. Do some research kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back