Why did rock music die?

Talented musicians are just less likely to be drawn to pick a guitar up that's all. People who don't want to tread over old ground will want to make sounds that haven't been made before.

Im not one of those hipsters or oldheads who complains about todays music. But one thing that bothers me is how rock is basically dead. Why did it have to happen? Rock music is such a damn good genre that has produced some incredible timeless gems. And I believe there is still more potential for rock to make great music. Rap, pop, r and b are all fine in my book but I would like to be able to get new and relevant rock music. But it seems impossible today. Why did they kill rock? WHY!!!!!
Goonies never say die bruh

Rock is all about passion and energy

Today its not cool to show passion for anything, thus rock is not cool anymore

While I know there are good rock out there, I feel kind of the same way as TS. I miss listening to new and good rock music in radios, bars, clubs, parties and festivals without having to dig deep for it. The last time I think rock was around like this was 2004-2008.

On the other hand, metal right now is a fucking Renaissance. So many talented and innovative bands that I can't even keep up with the all the good albums that come out every week.

No one gave a shit about the last good rock band anyways.

I think it died when they made a rock 'n roll hall of fame voted on industry people.

Imagine getting in your car, turning on the radio and it's playing these instead of fucking Imagine Dragons.

Lol if you have to go and search for it because it's not being played on mainstream platforms then that means it's basically dead
Which mainstream platforms compared to when it was still alive?

Plenty of great music being made today.
One thing that really surprises me.
Rock, folk, blues, hip hop & all inbetween-fused from.

Building on the past and opening to the new.
This is the essence of Rock & Roll.
Hence the name:
Rock (order/stability/tradition)
&
Roll (chaos/possibility/creativity)

That said, what a classic song.

But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step
I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
Something touched me deep inside
The day the music died

In fairness, I think the point isn't being too far stretched.

30 years ago (September 17, 1991) Guns N' Roses released Use Your Illusion I and II and it stormed the charts at No.1 and No.2.

30 years later, they released a new song (Hard Skool) digitally to little or no fan fare.

It seems, the counter culture of grunge shifted popular perception of guitar playing in a way that no one cared to be the next EVH, Slash and as other genres emerged...rock never really recovered. At least not in terms of creative and artistic ingenuity.

It makes me wonder if 50 or 100 years from now Rock will be lost to time. Its almost certain they won't still be playing Led Zeppelin on the local station in the same way we don't play 100 year old music now. Though, I suppose its possible music is like fashion and it cycles itself over and over meaning future generations of rock stars haven't even been born yet but will be there to fill the gap when the prevailing mood cycles back to other forms of music.
I actually think they will, yeah. War Pigs just celebrated its 51st birthday a few weeks ago and it’s still a GOAT tier song that hasn’t aged a day. Truly good rock music is timeless. Not to mention clothing brands still recycle Guns N Roses/Zeppelin/AC/DC logos for throwback styles.

You watch MTV? And lol at using the UFC as a "platform", ahaha.
No I must have misunderstood your previous comment. I'm saying back when rock music was big those are the kinds of platforms where it could be found. Nowadays it's not really in too many places. In my city there's a classic rock station that plays 70s and 80s stuff and another hard rock station that's all stuff from the late 90s and 2000s. Nobody's listening to new rock

No I must have misunderstood your previous comment. I'm saying back when rock music was big those are the kinds of platforms where it could be found. Nowadays it's not really in too many places. In my city there's a classic rock station that plays 70s and 80s stuff and another hard rock station that's all stuff from the late 90s and 2000s. Nobody's listening to new rock
We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm listening to new rock, husband is listening to new rock, a guy at work leaves the mailroom purposely to come and talk to me about new rock. I guess the guitar community is more locked in maybe. I don't watch MTV though and rarely watch UFC.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm listening to new rock, husband is listening to new rock, a guy at work leaves the mailroom purposely to come and talk to me about new rock. I guess the guitar community is more locked in maybe. I don't watch MTV though and rarely watch UFC.
And how are you finding out about this new rock that you listen to? Because it gets no radio play. The only rock music that's even remotely mainstream today is alternative rock, and even that is mostly a niche market. I don't listen to mtv either but I know they're not playing rock music there. The UFC was just one example, how many commercials do you see on tv using rock music or guitars?

Today rock music is not catchy enough for it to be in the top 40 mainstream radio. I think the creativity to make hit songs is not there anymore. You can only do so many variations of catchy rock songs until it starts sounding like a parody.

Cause you need some kind of an anti establishment edge to it, but most "rockers" these days are raging with the system.

Im not one of those hipsters or oldheads who complains about todays music.

But if you know the quality sucks, and you are afraid to challenge the core of the issue because of whatever social stigma the zoomers and zombies try to assign to those boomers who don't care to follow the hivemind that was created for the zombies to live under, then in theory, you are part of the problem

Back