Why did rock music die?

Probably because rock stopped being fun. Compare the lyrics of your typical dumb rap song from the 90s/2000s to your typical mopey rock song from the same era. People just want to have fun, that's why 80s music is looked so fondly upon by even people that weren't even alive back then.

Yeah that’s fair to say. I think that movement could be seen as them giving one last chance to sell rock music and there were great bands from that time but a lot of marketing gimmicks as well
Totally agree. Numetal was the worst movement in rock history in my opinion, even worse than 80s glam rock. When I say it was a "good run" I'm speaking from a commerical point of view. I personally hated most of that stuff and knew in my gut the end was near for rock as a mainstream genre.

Totally agree. Numetal was the worst movement in rock history in my opinion, even worse than 80s glam rock. When I say it was a "good run" I'm speaking from a commerical point of view. I personally hated most of that stuff and knew in my gut the end was near for rock as a mainstream genre.
Answer my questions before making up a bunch of lazy stuff you can't be arsed to look for.

Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters, the Strokes, Pearl Jam and Queens of the Stone Age are still putting out new music.

Want newer bands? How about Rival Sons, Royal Blood, Dirty Honey, Greta Van Fleet, etc. Those are just to name a few.

Just because they only market trash, doesn't mean it's dead. Most "rock" you hear on the radio today is EDM garbage.

Leather pants went out of fashion.

Probably because rock stopped being fun. Compare the lyrics of your typical dumb rap song from the 90s/2000s to your typical mopey rock song from the same era. People just want to have fun, that's why 80s music is looked so fondly upon by even people that weren't even alive back then.
90s grunge is arguably one of the greatest genres ever, probably the last best for rock.

Rap music is god awful now yet seems to be the most popular genre of music..at least in California. I'd be embarrassed being caught listening to it in my car like Micheal Bolton from Office Space. Dorky white guys listening to it in their Nissan Maximas on their way home from their 9-5 job, wearing their collard shirts and khakis... or degenerate wiggers that think they're Machine Gun Kelly wearing their basketball jerseys and hats on backwards lmao. Yeah, I'm being stereotypical don't @ me bro.

just that the mainstream is more pop/rap based these days and theres forumlas to stream line it. its quiet interesting yet maddening how they have formulas down now, and rock doesnt exactly fit into that.

Though still alot of good rock music out there. Someone mentioned Royal Blood as one of the newer rock bands and I love those fuckers

Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters, the Strokes, Pearl Jam and Queens of the Stone Age are still putting out new music.

Want newer bands? How about Rival Sons, Royal Blood, Dirty Honey, Greta Van Fleet, etc. Those are just to name a few.

Just because they only market trash, doesn't mean it's dead. Most "rock" you hear on the radio today is EDM garbage.
You just have to listen to The Rock Channel on cable to find new rock music. It isn't hard. It's so much fun finding it.

Anyone saying it's dead just doesn't give a fuck about it enough to try finding it. Guy at work and I at talk about new music all day.

I'd say it really started to die around 2010 or so. Our local rock station went from playing new rock to 25-30 year old rock with random 90s rap songs.

I would say the process you had was that indie/alt rock started breaking though in the late 80's but during the 90's most of the lables involved in it were slowly bought up by the big music companies and the scene was commercialized.

You had the era of "landfiill indie" during the 00's was slowly killed interest in that kind of music combined with the revival of 80's pop influences.

just that the mainstream is more pop/rap based these days and theres forumlas to stream line it. its quiet interesting yet maddening how they have formulas down now, and rock doesnt exactly fit into that.

Though still alot of good rock music out there. Someone mentioned Royal Blood as one of the newer rock bands and I love those fuckers

Royal Blood in Peaky Blinders was wicked.

How ironic, Rock music has died, when Rap has always been the AIDS of music

Im not one of those hipsters or oldheads who complains about todays music. But one thing that bothers me is how rock is basically dead. Why did it have to happen? Rock music is such a damn good genre that has produced some incredible timeless gems. And I believe there is still more potential for rock to make great music. Rap, pop, r and b are all fine in my book but I would like to be able to get new and relevant rock music. But it seems impossible today. Why did they kill rock? WHY!!!!!
I'll start again. Give me 5 bands you were into before it apparently turned to rubbish and 5 new ones in comparison that you have listened to but can't.
Music's fucking everywhere. You aren't much of a rock fan if you can't be fucked to find it.

You just have to listen to The Rock Channel on cable to find new rock music. It isn't hard. It's so much fun finding it.

Anyone saying it's dead just doesn't give a fuck about it enough to try finding it. Guy at work and I at talk about new music all day.
YouTube or Spotify, boomer

It is advantageous to market new decades with alternative components. That and hair bands.

Back