Why did rock music die?

Well if this and the likes of Greta Van Fleet are the best representatives of new rock music we have, then it's no wonder the genre is dying. Not saying they're bad, just saying it's already been done, and done much better. Imitators rather than innovators, these guys aren't saving rock. No hate intended, btw.
that's the feeling i got watching it, talented but not really anything of their own. Not that that's bad but it's not what I look for in general.

Whatever's the flavor of the day and pushed by the mainstream is garbage 90% of the time... Just because mtv stops playing a genre and starts pushing another doesn't mean it's "dead"...

There's real music out there, seek it out as opposed to being told what to listen to...

A co worker of mine basically determines what's "good" music by how many followers and views it has on YouTube... I told him he's retarded... Don't be him...
I heard Bill Maher awhile ago state that it's always five percent that get to the top with or without the push, i thought that was one of the dumbest things I ever heard. What's popular isn't always what's good and vice versa.

I know rock is still alive in terms of people working on it, i'm around a lot of musicians and there is no shortage of talent but it means nothing. When they say rock is dead, it's as a cultural force more than anything. the young wouldn't get an elvis or a springsteen if they came out today I don't think.

It had a good 40-50 or so year run, what do you expect, it's gonna last for ever?
It's hard to continue as 'rebellious youth music' when even yo grandpa was listening to it (and doing it better). How many times can you keep rehashing the past?

plus a bunch of other stuff (changing industry, changes in how kidz get their kix and how they make music (does anyone learn to play an instrument today? ain't nobody got time for that), changing demographics...)

I kinda lol at people saying it's not dead, I mean sure it's not literally dead quite yet but ppl say Jazz isn't dead either for similar reasons but it is.

It had a good 40-50 or so year run, what do you expect, it's gonna last for ever?
It's hard to continue as 'rebellious youth music' when even yo grandpa was listening to it (and doing it better). How many times can you keep rehashing the past?

plus a bunch of other stuff (changing industry, changes in how kidz get their kix and how they make music (does anyone learn to play an instrument today? ain't nobody got time for that), changing demographics...)

I kinda lol at people saying it's not dead, I mean sure it's not literally dead quite yet but ppl say Jazz isn't dead either for similar reasons but it is.

Exactly this.

This. I’d only add that the changes in the record industry definitely played a huge role in its current state. Physical media sales basically died. And that’s what bands really counted on to make big money. Record sales and publishing (royalties). Back in the day a band could basically become millionaires, tour the world, and then retire on the strength of one hit song. Not possible now.

The amount of money to be made through music sales and royalties is a mere fraction of what it was 20-25 years ago. Spotify and YourTube pay artists jack shit.

That’s why anyone with the talent to write and produce is doing it all for themselves. Then once you become a big solo artist you can use that clout and leverage to muscle starving songwriters and musicians into ‘collaborating’ like Taylor Swift and others do. Get them to do alll the heavy lifting and then take royalties on the back end by claiming writing and producing credits. Only the talentless and suckers would go the band route today. Too much drama and work. Too little money.

Is 92.3 k rock still around? I remember they rebranded but still played rock music last time I listened to the radio which was like 2005 @HHJ @Holic @weed
Yeah I think that's where they are now, still rock but a different name.

I'd say it really started to die around 2010 or so. Our local rock station went from playing new rock to 25-30 year old rock with random 90s rap songs.

It makes me wonder if 50 or 100 years from now Rock will be lost to time. Its almost certain they won't still be playing Led Zeppelin on the local station in the same way we don't play 100 year old music now. Though, I suppose its possible music is like fashion and it cycles itself over and over meaning future generations of rock stars haven't even been born yet but will be there to fill the gap when the prevailing mood cycles back to other forms of music.

There are a lot of bands out there. Is there a particular sound or sub-genre that you're looking for?

There's plenty out there, maybe you just need to look a bit more closely. I have a chat with about 3 metal head mates and we give each other the heads up about new and good stuff, that's how I stay current.
Lol if you have to go and search for it because it's not being played on mainstream platforms then that means it's basically dead

Pop and whatever teens find interesting are always going to be the most mainstream. Rock being mainstream was just a blip on the radar because they had pop elements like big choruses and hooks.

Good rock is out there. You just have to look for it.

its easier (more profitable) to produce gay music for the idiotic masses using computer programs

Still around, but not as popular as before.

Personally I don’t care about hip hop or rap, but I am one of the grumpy old guys who’s stuck in the past. My playlists are all about the 50’s, 60s, 70s and 80s.

Outlaw Country is the new rock music.

Nirvana killed it and bands trying to be like Nirvsns got more n more sissyfied Tull we get what passes as rock now inn21 pilots n imagine dragons

I think rap music came along and young people just began more and more to prefer it over rock. Rap music and rock have a lot of similarities, some even say rap is a subgenre of rock but seems to me that with young people rock just can't compete, rap is funner and edgier. Rock is more deep and thoughtful. I don't think rock is coming back but I think a more likely scenario is within the next few decades white rap artists will probably take over rap music like they did rock music and it will be unrecognizable from early rap music but still be considered "rap"

Back