Why did rock music die?

Music genre rise and fall in the mainstream, but they continue to live on on the indie scene.

Blues, Jazz, Disco, Funk, Rock, and Rap is soon coming to an end as well.

Music genre rise and fall in the mainstream, but they continue to live on on the indie scene.

Blues, Jazz, Disco, Funk, Rock, and Rap is soon coming to an end as well.
What is the replacement then, reggaeton?

Im not one of those hipsters or oldheads who complains about todays music. But one thing that bothers me is how rock is basically dead. Why did it have to happen? Rock music is such a damn good genre that has produced some incredible timeless gems. And I believe there is still more potential for rock to make great music. Rap, pop, r and b are all fine in my book but I would like to be able to get new and relevant rock music. But it seems impossible today. Why did they kill rock? WHY!!!!!

It really is, but all styles come and go, dixieland, big band, bebop, tin pan alley. Rock basically wiped out many previous styles while they really took a lot from them at the same time. Why did it happen? A lot of it started with Grunge and Rap redefining what young people thought was cool. Also, today, all musics have the struggle of selling because of the loss of value of music.

However, Rock was dying a long time before that. Kurt Cobain and the Rap stars didn't really want to be associated much with previous rock. So, when Bruce, Prince, MJ and maybe the hair bands and u2 as well, all seemed to be proud rock and rollers, there really wasn't any replacements for them when they started to go out of fashion. If there were, they weren't getting much push. And I'm not kidding about the 90's rockers, they wanted nothing to do with the earlier rockers for the most part, at least the ones I knew. It was like Rock became institutionalized and the newer generations felt they needed to reinvent the wheel. So, hell, none of the top stars believed in the rock and roll ethos and so they took their fans down that road. No matter how much their music owed to Rock, torn jeans, green hair and flannel shirts took the place of the often garish showmanship and wardrobes of the best rockers.

Rap is a huge factor even though most kids don't live like rappers, they act like rappers and they think it's really cool to be overemotional and confrontational, that pretty much always appeals to young men and it's a marketing ploy that's worked, as well as the emphases and obsession with money and bling. Lot of young men ended up in the morgue trying to be like their favorite rapper. I'm sure it happened in rock too but not nearly as much. The whole "rebel with the heart of gold" archetype that Brando exemplified before rock really started has influenced most of our young men at some point.

rock and rap are suffering of the same problem rock musicians at least the ones given record labels dont have world class musicianship or song writing skills anymore even a a group like avenged sevenfold looks like virtuosos compared to modern rock bands who cant even sweep pick or play a double bass drum.

theres some decent stuff around if you look for it but I get what youre asking....theres a whole list of reasons for it but the major one is that time moves on...everything warps and changes over time and no longer becomes fueled by the same sentiments....it morphs into its next stage ....thats the way it is...

Well if this and the likes of Greta Van Fleet are the best representatives of new rock music we have, then it's no wonder the genre is dying. Not saying they're bad, just saying it's already been done, and done much better. Imitators rather than innovators, these guys aren't saving rock. No hate intended, btw.

Whatever's the flavor of the day and pushed by the mainstream is garbage 90% of the time... Just because mtv stops playing a genre and starts pushing another doesn't mean it's "dead"...

There's real music out there, seek it out as opposed to being told what to listen to...

A co worker of mine basically determines what's "good" music by how many followers and views it has on YouTube... I told him he's retarded... Don't be him...

Back