Why did rock music die?

Kids are too plugged into there phones listening to shitty modern music instead of learning how to play guitar or drums. Modern mainstream music is cookie cutter manufactured crap.

You just have to listen to The Rock Channel on cable to find new rock music. It isn't hard. It's so much fun finding it.

Anyone saying it's dead just doesn't give a fuck about it enough to try finding it. Guy at work and I at talk about new music all day.
. Satellite radio has all kinds on metal. New and old. Pandora as well and it’s free. I never thought to put it on the rock channel on my tv lol. Never crossed my mind.

Iron Maidens new album right now is number 3 on billboard top 200.

of course because the younger generations want something new that alienates their parents

It's been said already, but there's actually quite a bit of good Rock/Metal out there these days.

Metal as a genre is still extremely good. It just hasn't been as relevant. Likely because of the Satanic connection or the lack of push by big record labels and the mainstream.

I wasn't aware of the fact that record labels were able to essentially control the mainstream via purchasing radio stations... I'll remember that little tidbit. Really explains the complete lack of originality in music these days.

You know... the thing about these days is, because of Spotify and other streaming services, it's possible to find practically anything if you just look for it. You don't have to even use the radio at all. It's all there at the tips of you fingers. Just punch in a genre or a band and it's there to listen to, unlimited, for only 10 bucks a month.

Back in the 2000's you had to google genres, download music(preferably buying it, but it wasn't always readily available in stores, having to rely on stock merch was pretty unreliable if you wanted something obscure) and in doing so completely fuck up your computer to figure out if you liked it.

Before that, you had to either listen too the radio or watch Music TV and hope to catch something you enjoyed. Or were lucky enough to have a cooler older sibling or something that had a job and could afford to buy CD's, Records, Cassettes etc.

Tbh with you, given how shitty follow up albums were often hyped up to be the next great release, being able to pick and choose after hearing the music already was pretty important to the consumer.

No more having to buy an album that was NOTHING LIKE or NOWHERE NEAR as good as the albums that made you fall in love with the band form the get go.

Last edited:
Because K pop is obviously the best music we will ever make so all other genres are obsolete. .

<{1-1}>

You forget Metal.... The biggest one in terms of awesomeess and biggest Festivals.

Telecommunications Act of 1996 allowed record labels to purchase radio stations, essentially controlling what was “mainstream”. Solo pop, rap and country acts are easier to manage than 4 or 5 ego driven rock stars, where one bad argument could destroy your cash cow that you’ve invested in. It was a business decision by the labels to kill the genre’s popularity. It’s no coincidence that the last boom period for rock music was the early to mid 90’s.

you cant disregard the nu metal period of 2000s, but good point overall.

rap/pop is much safer investment in todays music landscape.

the entire focus is on one artist, who doesn't even make his own music, but will appear in music videos with many good looking women and fancy cars.

Sadly musicianship and talent have really fallen by the way side

Sadly musicianship and talent have really fallen by the way side
Modern pop musicians dont need to be able to do minor things like being able to carry a tune. Autotune to the rescue!
They just need to accept whatever mass-produced songs their industry-appointed songwriters gives them, look good on stage and let the audio-technicians work their magic.
No talent required!

You forget Metal.... The biggest one in terms of awesomeess and biggest Festivals.
Metal is clearly one of the places to find talent these days.
Classic, folk, progressive -basically all smaller music-genres still values talent. You will be hard pressed to find a opera singer using autotune or lipsync, you will be hard pressed finding a pop-princess that does not.
It is just no longer valued by the mainstream industry.

when the Foo Fighters win the one remaining award dedicated to rock n roll at every awards show you know things are bad.

Rock is not dead and never will be. It's the state of music that has taken a huge hit with piracy. Many criticized Lars Ulrich but he was freaking right. A lot of great bands nowadays can't be spotted. I am a woman who likes old rock and metal bands but I am always looking for new sound. I discovered Mastodon like that and recently this amazing rock duo where they do all by themselves. The guy doing the vocals is doing the videos and the guitar player is also bass player, drummer...
They did some great songs with Sober and Sober II, Die in Vain (a metal original with great riffs) and some surprizing covers like a rock version of House of Pain's Jump Around.
Here are their channel fi you are interested in finding new talents and not saying rock is dead when it is not :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAmHkrbPSluJvfQuedZw7DQ

cover of jump around (really well done and funny) :

Back