Why Buakaw does not cut weight?

It is tiring seeing ignorant fans come here, and talk shit like "omg, K1 is better than muay thai"
And if you ask them why they are going to give you the same ignorant reasoning
1. There are fighters from different nations in it.
2. They have better production
3. blah blah blah
Just like posters here say, it is apple and orange, talent pool in the lower weight class
in muay thai is simple ridiculous. Thai fighters simply give up 10 pound plus weight
when they fought abroad, and dominate their opposition.
The talent pool is so big that there are boxing world champion and K1 champion aka Buakaw
who come from muay thai background, and these guys aren't even top 100 back then.
With all that said, you still can't really compare them.

yes because of the rules, but so what? you re saying beeing a Lumpini champ is worth more than a K1 titel? or not compareable because of the rules?

are you trolling or just dropped on the head as a child?
being an all time great at tennis == good at badminton now?

I would also throw in the fact that K1 was invite only. They would only ever invite 1 thai fighter to fight, I remember everyone would say the Japanese didnt want thai's to keep winning especially when Masato got beaten badly by Buakaw. They even changed the rules around the clinch to make it more difficult for thai style fighters. If they had opened it up even at 70kg you would have had the likes of Yodsenklai, Saiyok etc come in.

Buakow never cut weight because he didn't need to, look at the size difference between him and JWP when they first met.

I think the Japanese thought they'd got a smaller average Thai when they signed him. They were wrong. For obvious business reasons they don't want Thais to win.

IMO we will never know how good of a MT fighter he could have been, but I think he's done more than enough to earn respect. He adapted beautifully to K1 rules, arguably better than any other Thai.

In many ways he put MT on the map and was a great ambassador for the sport, it's just a shame it's now become a fiasco.

He did better than some of the fighters on this list http://www.muaythai2000.com/en/champchart.php

Buakaws Muay Thai record is not the best. His abilities at the moment are. He is one of the best kickboxer's ever. He is one of the most skilled Thai fighters of this age. He is not an all time great in Muay Thai because of his record, but with that said don't let one of these so called top tier Thai's call him out because if they fight or have a meeting in a gym he will ass rape them. Buakaw is beast mode and if there were more money in fighting Thai's than non-Thai's he would probably be doing it, but there's not. He will continue to crush the best foreigners the planet can offer him.

He won the toyota marathon in 2002.Check out his titles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buakaw_Banchamek#Titles

He might not be the best ,but he is one of the best muay thai fighters.Yes he was fighting mostly with k1 rules.But even in muay thai he is one of the bests

About his size I think he looks big at 69 kg,simon marcus is 10-12 kg heavier(if not more)so thats why he looks bigger

Compare him with JWP and he looks the same even though JWP weighs more
IMG_785.jpg

Lumpinee/Rajadamnern title >>>>>>> Toyota Marathon.

I know his titles and there are not that impressive compared to what other thais did.

thais dont give a shit about buakaw. hes famous , but thats about it.

According to Sherdog Buakao is either the g.o.a.t and better than Samart and Saenchai or he's a average grade C Muaythi fighter that got lucky by winning K-1 and can't hole a glove to most other stadium fighters.
He wasn't the best in the stadiums, not Yod Muay level like a Samart or Saenchai. He was no slouch though either and held his own wi a lot of decent names, he koed Sakadpet who went on to win RAtchadamnern, Lumpini and Mitisubishi tournament title, he was Thailand champion, ranked number one at Lumpini for a while and fought a lot of other decent names and beat more an a few. As for that list that would excel against him, he fought Oromo twice and lost on pts, wouldn't have been far off his level though to fight him twice! Yodsaenklai on the other hand got Koed by Orono twice. He also foug Chalee on there and there are quite a few others in that list that are well below Buakao in terms of level and achievements in stadiums.

Really, you can't compare two things that are nearly identical? They are as different as day, and later that same day. Use your imagination. The similarities far outweigh the differences.

Last edited:
According to Sherdog Buakao is either the g.o.a.t and better than Samart and Saenchai or he's a average grade C Muaythi fighter that got lucky by winning K-1 and can't hole a glove to most other stadium fighters.
He wasn't the best in the stadiums, not Yod Muay level like a Samart or Saenchai. He was no slouch though either and held his own wi a lot of decent names, he koed Sakadpet who went on to win RAtchadamnern, Lumpini and Mitisubishi tournament title, he was Thailand champion, ranked number one at Lumpini for a while and fought a lot of other decent names and beat more an a few. As for that list that would excel against him, he fought Oromo twice and lost on pts, wouldn't have been far off his level though to fight him twice! Yodsaenklai on the other hand got Koed by Orono twice. He also foug Chalee on there and there are quite a few others in that list that are well below Buakao in terms of level and achievements in stadiums.

I don't know if we can fit him in the top 100 list or not though...we will need to try...
But I agree that he is either way too overated (in muay thai) or underated.

Muay thai fans (aka gamblers in stadiums) don't really respect him that much.
This is evident when out of prime Somrak called him out, and many thought
Somrak can beat him. (This is before Somrak lost to Jomhod)
I think he is very similar to Ramba Somdet, exciting fighters who don't really
earn recognition as top guys because they never become champs.....

Really, you can't compare two things that are nearly identical? Use your imagination.

whole different. especially scoring.

Yodvicha rules under FTR , international K1 scoring ( probably ) different story.

@ anorak
just saying he isnt top 100 alltime greats and not getting much respect from thai who are into the sport nowadays.

Really, you can't compare two things that are nearly identical? Use your imagination.

When you see so many white belt in muay thai thread,
you know this is going to be a bad day in this "mma" forum.
Because they are either trolls or uneducated in K1/muay thai.

Go ahead and compare Batman and Ironman then, they are both superheroes with gadgets...
use your imagination!

when you see so many white belt in muay thai thread,
you know this is going to be a bad day in this "mma" forum.
Because they are either trolls or uneducated in k1/muay thai.

Go ahead and compare batman and ironman then, they are both superheroes with gadgets...
Use your imagination!

You can't compare dc and marvel! They are completely different! Like green apples and red apples, coke and pepsi! One's a multiverse and the other is mostly singular.

I don't know if we can fit him in the top 100 list or not though...we will need to try...
But I agree that he is either way too overated (in muay thai) or underated.

Saenchai
Singdam
Nong-O
Sagetdao
Petboonchu
Yodwicha
Kongsak
Pakon
Penek
Mongkolchai
Petpanomrung
Sam-A
Pokaew
Pethawee
Petmorakot
Tingtong
Thong
Mondam
Superlek
Panomrunglek
Sangmanee
Wanchalong
Nungthep
Ponakrit
Palangpol

There are 25 names alone that have unquestionably had greater Muay Thai careers than Buakaw. Those are all active fighters and there are easily another 50 or more that could be argued.

Think of all the names from 7 years ago then 15 years ago and 25 years ago.

Not even close to being top 100. He might not be top 1000 for all I know. The number of fighters that have come and gone over the last 65+ years is huge.

Just because Buakaw never won the big stadium belts doesn't mean he can't fight. It's not like he was post-prime when he started to compete in K-1.

Sombat was never the best in FMT, in kickboxing however he used to be the nr.1 for a while. He did a good job in representing Thailand in multiple fighting styles.

And it's not like Buakaw 2013 would lose to all of Glory's top 10 fighters at 70 kg.

Just because Buakaw never won the big stadium belts doesn't mean he can't fight. It's not like he was post-prime when he started to compete in K-1.

Sombat was never the best in FMT, in kickboxing however he used to be the nr.1 for a while. He did a good job in representing Thailand in multiple fighting styles.

And it's not like Buakaw 2013 would lose to all of Glory's top 10 fighters at 70 kg.

thats out of questions , ts stated buakaw is a all time great in MT , but he isnt.

whole different. especially scoring.

Yodvicha rules under FTR , international K1 scoring ( probably ) different story.

@ anorak
just saying he isnt top 100 alltime greats and not getting much respect from thai who are into the sport nowadays.

Now I see you are just a prisoner of the moment poster. Yodvicha is still young in his career. He's had an awesome run as of recent the test of time will give him the name. Anyone who watches him fight Saenchai will look at the scoring criteria and the state of betting in the stadiums and cry foul. Adding Yodvicha to mix of all time greats at his age is not even on the table at this time.

Buakaw has a full body of work and when it comes to beating foreign competition not many have done it better.

Back