• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why are ufc athletes so poorly treated compared to all other professional athletes??? Fighter pay aw

I don't watch Bellator or boxing. Pay being terrible in other promotions doesn't mean that UFC isn't in a position where they can do better. UFC is the premier MMA organization. I'd like it if the money I spend on the UFC product went to the fighters, not almost exclusively the owners/investors. No athletes in the premier organization should need as second job or live in poverty. There should be some baseline minimum pay that is actually livable. This makes the product better because it attracts more athletes and allows lower level fighters to focus on training and getting better. I don't understand fans of the sport that buy into Dana White's bullshit or for whatever reason argue against better fighter pay.

who set that amount. the standard of living in brazil isnt the same as in miami fla. 20k is the ufc min an that way better than the min at bellator.

combat sports isnt cheap this isnt a secert.

it create a lot of income for a lot of people, but most of the clubs/owners aren't making much/ barely breaking even, you don't buy a football club hoping to make money, like you said barcelona is almost bankrupt, a lot of top clubs's owners are losing money, look at PSG or man city, it's just qatar and UAE pumping money into them just because they can
so yes, i stand by what i said, a football club isn't run like a business where the only purpose is to make money, the ufc on the other hand is exactly that
Yeah but those are just 2 clubs + newcastle and maybe barcelona ( at least used to be sponsored by muslims). I personally think, you stopped in 60s, back then maybe it was about sport... but now sport is buisness, doesnt matter if we like it or not. If someone doesnt have revenue, he sells club... If clubs got debt now its coz of covid, since for almost a year they coundnt bring football fans on stadiums, that killed finanses of clubs, no money from tickets, vip rooms, selling groceries/beer, shirts... ps: barcelona got what deserved, their board destroyed it from inside.

You are comparing apples to bald eagles.

1. 2 NFL teams alone are worth more than the entire UFC.
2. All those leagues you mentioned have unions.
3. Baseball players play 162 games. NFL players play 17+ games. UFC fighter fights likes 2 times a year.
Pretty much. Compete more, higher grossing leagues, unions, way better TV deals

Reason why those leagues get a higher percentage is not only is the percentage worth way more but each individual franchise is in charge of things that the UFC is in charge of. NFL team for example are in charge of merchandise, ticket sales, signing/managing players and coaches, owning the stadium (either outright or partnership with the city).

League pays a higher percentage but as a tradeoff is each of the 32 franchises has quite a bit of work/risk they have to deal with

You are comparing apples to bald eagles.

1. 2 NFL teams alone are worth more than the entire UFC.
2. All those leagues you mentioned have unions.
3. Baseball players play 162 games. NFL players play 17+ games. UFC fighter fights likes 2 times a year.
1. A percentage is a percentage.
2. Yes this is the reason
3. If you look at money going to fighters as a whole it is represented by the percentage. You don’t compare 1 fighter to the total revenue of the organization l. So this point is very off the mark.

Impressive you actually looked that up, and that doesn't count endorsements my point being even a complete no name golfer makes a million a year, a top 10 UFC fighter makes what a half mill at best?
PGA has no health insurance, no pension, no union, and pays less than 30% of revenue to the players.

There really isn't any no-name golfers if your getting paid. They only have like 150 players total on the tour and you have to place in the top 65 or so in the tournment after 2 days just to make the cut line (if you don't make the cut line then you get zero money)

There's maybe 50 players in the entire world that consistently keep there PGA tour card and consistenly make the cut line. That guy he used as an example is misleading because he was brand new to the Tour so he was ranked low due to him not having enough points. He's already jumped 30 spots just in the last 2 months (he's in the 60s now in the world)

Last edited:
1. A percentage is a percentage.
2. Yes this is the reason
3. If you look at money going to fighters as a whole it is represented by the percentage. You don’t compare 1 fighter to the total revenue of the organization l. So this point is very off the mark.

yes. Percentage is percentage but it’s still not the same. UFC Is nowhere near the levels of the other sports.

I’d equate it more to the WNBA which gives about 20% to its athletes.

so you watch sports like nhl/nfl/nba/ football, coz there are awsome people with personalities... heh... and where can you see that personality, while thay pass a ball or score a goal more ?. Just curious, coz I like to watch good fights. Doesnt matter if its a brawl or technical fight, I dont give a shit if someone is arshole in life if he fights good. Coz we pay for fight not for peoples personalities... americans these days.

It's prizefighting. To make the big bucks you need to appeal to the beer guzzling casuals

yes. Percentage is percentage but it’s still not the same. UFC Is nowhere near the levels of the other sports.

I’d equate it more to the WNBA which gives about 20% to its athletes.
I think it’s all relative. But I would say the UFC is growing revenue much faster than the WNBA. It effectively isn’t even close to a mature company, which then it would be harvesting profits. And because of that I’d imagine it should be operating at smaller profit margins than the other major sports. At least that is generally how every other industry operates. Now should labor be inline, I’m not really sure. Maybe the UFC does operate at a worse profit margin but other types of expenses outside of labor are more. I haven’t seen detailed financials on them.

I think my rambling above is basically saying I wouldn’t at all compare them to the WNBA because no sport is like them in the fact they are growing. But you can anchor expectations to be worse than mature sports leagues because they are growing.

Your odds of making it into the UFC is far easier than a professional league for other major sports.

I don't think there's any other major sport, where you can be a pizza delivery guy, and then decided to do a career change, enter a sports league, and become a top level talent (Rob Font).

It is far easier to fight at an elite level than it is to play football, basketball, baseball, ect., at an elite level. And I don't mean easier in terms of the dedication or work required, I mean easier in the genetic gene pool to achieve one than the other.

Look, some average guy that's decently fit, has the potential to knock out a UFC fighter in a brawl. Some average guy will never beat a NBA player in basketball.

Back