Why are fans so blind to the fact that their champion is long due for retirement.

Them being aware of the risks doesn't mean it's something to pass off as good for the sport or humane. When you stop questioning and accept everything fed to you as Bible you become blind which you clearly are to the point I am trying to make. If your such a fan of the sport your intention would be to make it better and more professional and friendly to those who have no fucking clue to what it is about.

I am not a fan of watching these old 40 year olds in the octagon, especially when they show ample blatant signs that they clearly don't belong in professional mixed martial arts anymore. Just so you can be happy and fill your quota of nostalgia semi sick sense of satisfaction that your hero of old fought today and was sleeping unconscious in some contorted fetal position that you then shooped for the LuLz. It's one thing when they can make a semi plausible run for the belt...but that sadly is not the case for quite a few atm. It's frequent now and common play for the sake of making a few bucks to create the UFC circus events of our heroes of old.

I understand where you're coming from, but determining whether a fighter is "finished" or "over the hill" is a difficult thing to measure. Outside of a physical and a brain scan, what else can be done?

If you have a suggestion I'm all ears. I'm well aware that there may be plenty of things that I haven't considered.

I understand where you're coming from, but determining whether a fighter is "finished" or "over the hill" is a difficult thing to measure. Outside of a physical and a brain scan, what else can be done?

If you have a suggestion I'm all ears. I'm well aware that there may be plenty of things that I haven't considered.

This!

It is not something that easy to detect. I can only mention boxing examples but some guys were fine in one fight an were brain damaged to the next (or at the end of the fight in McClellan's case).

Sad example is Terry Norris (someone posted it an other thread)

[YT]2Wkq1QCIP4A[/YT]

But the saddest of course is Gerald McClellan

[YT]LGz-unNi1dU[/YT]

Not every fighter if they left octagon tomarrow would be living off poverty moron. You fail at comprehension. I am talking about cases of those successful fighters who have squandered every last dime they have ever earned without saving squat to live off of in the case of early retirement, injury whatever. Living in poverty while distasteful is the reality of poor judgement. It's not something I would wish on anyone. I do think it's not healthy for the sport to encourage geriatric bouts with fighters who can barely talk and are knocked out in seconds because of constant cranial trauma.

It's selfish for fans to push old men to fight for the sake of fucking nostalgia.

it's pretentious of you to feign compassion when you don't know really know these fighters and what they want to do or what they are medically cleared to do

you really should avoid dictating actions for others

Attn TS: You are not the nanny of the world.

its a good thing tto be concerned for the fighters, i feel the same way but i think this sort of decision needs to be made by the individual. i just dont see any other realistic way of doing it ?
sure the ufc could cut a fighter but thers nothing to stop him fighting elswhere, a fan petition has no standing at all and would seem a little disrespectful to me personally.
the last option is the athletic commisions/fighter licencers and thats a hell of a lot of power to give to those who display their incompetence week in week out(30-27 guillard in the varner fight, are you kidding me)
its a worthy subject to discuss but theres no other options imo

it's pretentious of you to feign compassion when you don't know really know these fighters and what they want to do or what they are medically cleared to do

you really should avoid dictating actions for others

You know in one hand you can say this "avoid dictating actions for others" things, but on the other hand you gotta see the other side of the coint.

These guys trained and fight mostly in their whole life (Wandy had his first fight at the age of 13! not MMA of course but still) and they had to have an incredible belive in therself or otherwise they wouldn't have achived what they did. But the problem is that time goes and the youg lion eventualy takes the hord from the old lion, and eventhough he still can bite his reflex and speed and overal movment is not what it was. The sooner you realise it is the better. But since you cant think outside of fighting and all your life you were thinking that you are the best (which you may be was once) you wants to continu. But you gets KTFO-d than you wanna prove yourself even more and wants to fight again to prove and.......there is the vicious circle......

If you have once achived everything that you can achive (title, fame, money etc.) like Wandy Cro cop Chuck did than thier is no point of continu IMO and getting KTFO-d by guys that you would have anhillated in your prime. (Cro cop vs Schaub/Mir/Roy/Kongo and Wandy vs Rich/Leben etc. the list goes the fuck on...)

Remember that Cro Cop said many times that he should have retired after the OWGP.....

You know in one hand you can say this "avoid dictating actions for others" things, but on the other hand you gotta see the other side of the coint.

These guys trained and fight mostly in their whole life (Wandy had his first fight at the age of 13! not MMA of course but still) and they had to have an incredible belive in therself or otherwise they wouldn't have achived what they did. But the problem is that time goes and the youg lion eventualy takes the hord from the old lion, and eventhough he still can bite his reflex and speed and overal movment is not what it was. The sooner you realise it is the better. But since you cant think outside of fighting and all your life you were thinking that you are the best (which you may be was once) you wants to continu. But you gets KTFO-d than you wanna prove yourself even more and wants to fight again to prove and.......there is the vicious circle......

If you have once achived everything that you can achive (title, fame, money etc.) like Wandy Cro cop Chuck did than thier is no point of continu IMO and getting KTFO-d by guys that you would have anhillated in your prime. (Cro cop vs Schaub/Mir/Roy/Kongo and Wandy vs Rich/Leben etc. the list goes the fuck on...)

Remember that Cro Cop said many times that he should have retired after the OWGP.....

if they want to retire, go for it, good for them

if they want to keep on fighting for whatever reason, let them fight

that decision is between them and their families, and once they decide they want to fight it's up to a medical board to grant them the license to do so

I read the whole thing dude, you seem really intense and passionate about something only the actual fighters control. You make it seem that my want to see a cro cop fight actually has any impact on it hapeening

you cant blame fans - you just have to think about what everyones incentives are

fans want to see fights - if brain damage or long term injuries are casued, thats not the 'fans' problems - but any 'real fan' should want to see the fighter be healthy and not just fight till they die (even if they want to)

promoters want o make money

fighters want to fight, but sometimes they shouldnt

this isnt the type of topic to bring up on sherdog, bc everyone here is a fan without perspective or interest in the livelihood of fighters, as is natural

but id say the TS has a prety clear point

you cant blame fans - you just have to think about what everyones incentives are

fans want to see fights - if brain damage or long term injuries are casued, thats not the 'fans' problems - but any 'real fan' should want to see the fighter be healthy and not just fight till they die (even if they want to)

promoters want o make money

fighters want to fight, but sometimes they shouldnt

this isnt the type of topic to bring up on sherdog, bc everyone here is a fan without perspective or interest in the livelihood of fighters, as is natural

but id say the TS has a prety clear point

It's not for the TS to decide. I'm not a fan of bullriding, but if someone wishes to compete in that highly dangerous sport, I would not make obstacles for them.

It's not for the TS to decide. I'm not a fan of bullriding, but if someone wishes to compete in that highly dangerous sport, I would not make obstacles for them.

none of us have any say in what others do - the point is to understand what something like 'bullriding' is (thats the first time i've heard that word, but it sounds like it makes sense) and to recognize that someone might be at that point - its okay to let them do what they want, but we should hope for their well being instead of hoping to get one more fight out of them

Huge fan of BJ.

If BJ doesn't move back down, I'm hoping like hell he retires.

none of us have any say in what others do - the point is to understand what something like 'bullriding' is (thats the first time i've heard that word, but it sounds like it makes sense) and to recognize that someone might be at that point - its okay to let them do what they want, but we should hope for their well being instead of hoping to get one more fight out of them

There is concern for well-being and then there is being a nanny.

There is concern for well-being and then there is being a nanny.

i guess man - you're kind of coming off like a dck when hes just trying to make a point to care for fighters - kind of weird to feel so strongly like you do

i think he's got a good point and i support his opinion, as i mentioned earlier

If anyone thinks fighting is going to make you healthy they need a reality check. Even light sparring is bad for your noggin. Saying you don't want to see "certain fighter" in the ring or cage anymore is kind of silly. They probably took an irreversable amount of damage long before we noticed.

i guess man - you're kind of coming off like a dck when hes just trying to make a point to care for fighters - kind of weird to feel so strongly like you do

i think he's got a good point and i support his opinion, as i mentioned earlier

I'm being a dick in supporting fighters that have earned the right to fight on to fight on if they wish to do so and the commission allows them? Being a dick is wishing for obstacles to appear for those guys. Maybe you haven't seen it, so here:

May his poignant words will help you understand.

I'm being a dick in supporting fighters that have earned the right to fight on to fight on if he wishes to do so and the commission allows him? Being a dick is wishing for obstacles to appear for those guys. Maybe you haven't seen it, so here:

May his poignant words will help you understand.

ive seen the movie, its good

cliche to bring up here

commissions are idiots, their approval or lack of doesnt mean much to me - ive already made my points - feel free to read through my prior posts if you need a refresher

trust me - your opinion is thrown at me every single time i voice this opinion - its what id expect of an mma fan, thats why i started by saying, thats what the fans will want - hes not our brother or family member - who cares right? but i like to think they'll do well and be healthy - even dana told chuck to hang them up, and good for him - guys like you would allow him to fight till he died and quote the same rocky movie bc thats who you are and thats how most fans are

according to you that makes me a 'nanny' whatever

Last edited:
ive seen the movie, its good

cliche to bring up here

commissions are idiots, their approval or lack of doesnt mean much to me - ive already made my points - feel free to read through my prior posts if you need a refresher

trust me - your opinion is thrown at me every single time i voice this opinion - its what id expect of an mma fan, thats why i started by saying, thats what the fans will want - hes not our brother or family member - but i like to think they'll do well and be healthy

according to gentlemen like you, that makes me a 'nanny' or some other word in hopes of emasculating me

Cliche or not, when a man has earned the right to do something, let him do it, regardless of whether or not it offends your sensibilities.

And I am NOT calling you a nanny to emasculate you. I am calling you a nanny because that is your mentality. If you feel emasculated by it... tough.

Back