Why are fans so blind to the fact that their champion is long due for retirement.

It really sickens the shit out of me that so many of these so called "fans" continue to push for their favorites and hope they can pull wins out from their asses. No one thinks whats best for these old time warriors and the long term damage these people do to themselves just before they are "forced" to leave the sport.

Excuse #1

Oh, he is man and he can decide for himself when to quit.

* No, if you truly respect someone you have followed for years you would give him advice and make it plain that you don't support him fighting anymore. Do you let your best friend shoot heroin before he dies because it's his decision..NO. Do you let your best friend jump off a bridge because hes depressed..NO. There are lines and circumstances to letting a man be a man and when you need to step in. Dana is case in point. He considers Chuck someone special to him and drew a line in the sand for him..and even this was generous because chuck was seriously getting ktfo badly looking for an in ring death.

Excuse #2

Oh, XXXXX has no means to live and no viable income so he needs to fight to make a living.

*More bullshit. I am sorry but if these fighters have squandered every last dime of profit they have gained over the years and need to fight for the possibility of a few grand (and thats generous because they will never make top 5 or 10) then they deserve the hardship. You can rent a hole in the wall in some urban city and work at Wal Mart to buy food to live on. Thats what you get for not saving a dime of profits during your prime days of glory when you were king of the world.

So whats the protocol ... what restrictions should the sport have in place to prevent people from permanently damaging themselves in pursuit of $. Considering that these fighters have life changing injuries at any age and just entering the octagon can seriously cripple you for life.

I guess in the end its the decision of the corporates and owners of the UFC who need to aggressively step up to the plate and say hey, thats enough you need to leave. We watched Randy Couture leave the sport gracefully in his 40s but here was an intelligent man who knew who could still compete and be a factor in his division. He trained intelligently, never partied excessively (chuck,page) and was always smart to enter the ring healthy and (relatively) injury free.

Whats the point of this post..there is none..I just wanted to vent my anger at so called "FANS" who are so quick to yell for wandy or crocop or page to challenge whomever just because they want to see them in the ocatagon never minding that these guys are so fucking past their prime and taking chances on a free trip to the hospital in a coma that they may not wake up from.

Hey man! Page ain't past his prime yo! He's gonna beat glover and when Jones moves to heavyweight he's going to be champ again!

My point is there should be policies and devices set in place that give fighters less control to continue fighting when it's obvious they shouldn't. You support something you are contributing to it, regardless if you feel it's "OK and your not hurting anyone"

How would you determine if a fighter is up for the challenge beforehand? Losses? Knockout? There would be nobody left. It's impossible, which is why it's left to the fighter to decide if its worth the risk for the compensation

Chuck was constantly cleared to fight but shouldn't have been permitted to enter the ring. Your the type of slug who enjoys seeing people carried off on a stretcher paralyzed from the neck down..thats your idea of a good fight.

So now you're telling me what type of fight I enjoy based on a little paragraph? Well done genius. I dont wanna see anyone hurt long term, for instance I have an unpopular opinion against suplexes in mma for that very reason. My point was( I seem to need to point it out as you seem to be a little dense) it's not for you or I to make these decisions.

Your heroin/suicide analogies are poor because they only have negative connotations for the individual, whereas a third party cannot objectively say for sure that another fight is a bad idea.

It's down to individual, not some little keyboard warrior on Sherdog.

Oh and it's You're not your, clown

I hope your referring to my man Big Tim, he's gona be back in the big show soon you'll see!

Who the fuck are you to decide that the doctors giving these guys medical clearance aren't up to their jobs?

That thrill is hardwired into them. You don't walk in their shoes so you can't understand it.

If a fighter is there to fight, what are they supposed to do? Stay in a couch? What the?

Do you let your best friend shoot heroin before he dies because it's his decision..NO. Do you let your best friend jump off a bridge because hes depressed..NO.

Did you ever support your friend shooting heroin? Did you ever support your friend jumping off the bridge?

The difference: People support the champ for fighting and at some point must consider whether or not that person should continue. As for heroin or jumping off a bridge, I don't think anyone would ever support those things so the obvious answer is that they shouldn't continue. It's apples to oranges.

And your post was too long to read so this thread is pretty much a failure. Peace.

Worry about yourself. You clearly don't know enough about finances or physical safety to be preaching like this.

They should be saved from the ring but deserve the hardship of living in poverty off some minimum wage job for the next 50 years? Shut up.

Not every fighter if they left octagon tomarrow would be living off poverty moron. You fail at comprehension. I am talking about cases of those successful fighters who have squandered every last dime they have ever earned without saving squat to live off of in the case of early retirement, injury whatever. Living in poverty while distasteful is the reality of poor judgement. It's not something I would wish on anyone. I do think it's not healthy for the sport to encourage geriatric bouts with fighters who can barely talk and are knocked out in seconds because of constant cranial trauma.

It's selfish for fans to push old men to fight for the sake of fucking nostalgia.

It really sickens the shit out of me that so many of these so called "fans" continue to push for their favorites and hope they can pull wins out from their asses. No one thinks whats best for these old time warriors and the long term damage these people do to themselves just before they are "forced" to leave the sport.

Excuse #1

Oh, he is man and he can decide for himself when to quit.

* No, if you truly respect someone you have followed for years you would give him advice and make it plain that you don't support him fighting anymore. Do you let your best friend shoot heroin before he dies because it's his decision..NO. Do you let your best friend jump off a bridge because hes depressed..NO. There are lines and circumstances to letting a man be a man and when you need to step in. Dana is case in point. He considers Chuck someone special to him and drew a line in the sand for him..and even this was generous because chuck was seriously getting ktfo badly looking for an in ring death.

Excuse #2

Oh, XXXXX has no means to live and no viable income so he needs to fight to make a living.

*More bullshit. I am sorry but if these fighters have squandered every last dime of profit they have gained over the years and need to fight for the possibility of a few grand (and thats generous because they will never make top 5 or 10) then they deserve the hardship. You can rent a hole in the wall in some urban city and work at Wal Mart to buy food to live on. Thats what you get for not saving a dime of profits during your prime days of glory when you were king of the world.

So whats the protocol ... what restrictions should the sport have in place to prevent people from permanently damaging themselves in pursuit of $. Considering that these fighters have life changing injuries at any age and just entering the octagon can seriously cripple you for life.

I guess in the end its the decision of the corporates and owners of the UFC who need to aggressively step up to the plate and say hey, thats enough you need to leave. We watched Randy Couture leave the sport gracefully in his 40s but here was an intelligent man who knew who could still compete and be a factor in his division. He trained intelligently, never partied excessively (chuck,page) and was always smart to enter the ring healthy and (relatively) injury free.

Whats the point of this post..there is none..I just wanted to vent my anger at so called "FANS" who are so quick to yell for wandy or crocop or page to challenge whomever just because they want to see them in the ocatagon never minding that these guys are so fucking past their prime and taking chances on a free trip to the hospital in a coma that they may not wake up from.

10/10 again read would.

You have to understand this forum is infested with teens and foreign idiots though.

aslong as those fighters wants to compete and aslong as they get medically cleared its up to the fighters themselves to decide if they need to retire TS.

its their lives, not yours. you dont like it? dont watch those fights!

Not every fighter if they left octagon tomarrow would be living off poverty moron. You fail at comprehension. I am talking about cases of those successful fighters who have squandered every last dime they have ever earned without saving squat to live off of in the case of early retirement, injury whatever. Living in poverty while distasteful is the reality of poor judgement. It's not something I would wish on anyone. I do think it's not healthy for the sport to encourage geriatric bouts with fighters who can barely talk and are knocked out in seconds because of constant cranial trauma.

It's selfish for fans to push old men to fight for the sake of fucking nostalgia.

Dude....who's pushing?

Who the fuck are you to decide that the doctors giving these guys medical clearance aren't up to their jobs?

The idea here is that those doctors are clearing them to walk and talk...and run on the treadmill for a few minutes without falling over. They don't look into his records or take into account that XXXX was ktfo in 6 of last 7 fights within the first round, or walks around twitching like a radioactive fish out of water, or randomly falls asleep in the chair live on tv.

You think "champions" taking one or two more fights than they should is the problem? What about the much higher number of professional fighters that fight with a sub 1.0 wlr, often with many knockout losses? I don't hear you clamouring for, say, Shannon Ritch to retire. You think Chuck literally "had no chin" at the end of his career? He got hit by shots that would have downed anyone - it was his inability to avoid them that was the issue (ofc the result was the same). Fighters know what they're getting themselves into and if they can find a promotion to fight in, get cleared to fight and are not dissuaded by their friends and family if they're clearly past it, then it's their right to go ahead. I bet you're against recreational drug use and euthanasia too.

Shogun should retire before he ends up like his brother. He's famous enough to have an mma gym in brayil or Vegas and make good living.

The idea here is that those doctors are clearing them to walk and talk...and run on the treadmill for a few minutes without falling over. They don't look into his records or take into account that XXXX was ktfo in 6 of last 7 fights within the first round, or walks around twitching like a radioactive fish out of water, or randomly falls asleep in the chair live on tv.

you say it yourself.

its up to the doctors to get their act together. not the fans.
the procedure for medical clearence should be changed.

aslong as those fighters wants to compete and aslong as they get medically cleared its up to the fighters themselves to decide if they need to retire TS.

its their lives, not yours. you dont like it? dont watch those fights!

It's relative to the sport as much as it is to those who aren't fit to be fighting in the first place. I think it detracts from MMA and I was never a fan of the now normal occurrence of "geriatric bouts". If I don't like something I try to change it and not fucking ignore it like you seem fond of doing.

I feel you TS. There are a few guys I've always been a huge fan of. I've watched them fight for years, ever since I was like 14 years old.

But in some cases (e.g. Cro Cop, Wanderlei Silva, Big Nog to some extent, Chuck Liddell....damn, even BJ Penn in his last couple of fights) I just don't wanna see them compete anymore. I truly respect what they've done and consider them great fighters in their day and all, but it's just painful to watch them get beat up by younger, hungrier, faster opponents. Even match-ups they could easily win make me a little sad, since their prime is long past and they still keep slugging it out 'cause they love it and they've been doing it forever. I know it's hard to walk away.

I say it here and now, I'm one of the first ones to admit to myself and others that I don't wanna watch a guy fight anymore. Not because I don't like them or enjoy their style but because I like them and I don't wanna see them get hurt anymore.

I mean, watching Cro Cop beat up cans that are weight class below him IN KICKBOXING is painful to watch. Fights he wins are painful to watch.

Everybody are free to make their own decisions but I hope these fighters are at least a little interested in the opinions of their long time fans. Fans that loved them whether they won or lost. If the pleas of your loved ones won't budge you, at least listen to the guys who were always willing to pay to see you fight, but who can't watch you getting hurt anymore. Not because they are feeble minded Sherdoggers, but because you are their hero and they don't want to see their hero's legacy shatter, piece by piece or brain cell by brain cell.

Not every fighter if they left octagon tomarrow would be living off poverty moron. You fail at comprehension.

You specifically gave the example of people who would be living in poverty, but I'm a moron for addressing your claim that they 'deserve' to live in shit? Did you just not think this through or are you just blind?

I am talking about cases of those successful fighters who have squandered every last dime they have ever earned without saving squat to live off of in the case of early retirement, injury whatever. Living in poverty while distasteful is the reality of poor judgement.

But we lack compassion. Do you have any advice on this besides the unrealistic drivel from the OP?

It's not something I would wish on anyone. I do think it's not healthy for the sport to encourage geriatric bouts with fighters who can barely talk and are knocked out in seconds because of constant cranial trauma.

How does this relate to Rampage, CroCop and Wand, whom you specifically listed? None of them have problems talking and Rampage hasn't been KO'd in years.

Furthermore, I repeat, who the fuck are you to determine that the doctor's giving these guys medical clearance aren't capable physicians? Where do you get off trying to control the lives and careers of other individuals? Do you not see that what you are suggesting is an actual push in one direction (retirement), whereas the behavior you condemn (calling for a fight) does next to nothing to 'push' a fighter to action? Fighters fight because they want to or need to. Not because of fans screaming for it. What you are suggesting would be far more invasive and starts a dangerous slippery slope away from guys controlling their own careers. I'm sorry you wish a few fighters would retire, but it's not your call (thank God).

Back