Why are fans so blind to the fact that their champion is long due for retirement.

Fighters have been fighting too long since the beginning of prize fighting. I realize that this post comes from a need to help and protect these guys, but it isn't going to happen.

If a fighter gets medical clearance and a contract with an org then he's gonna fight. This isn't the 1950s, fighters today are well aware of the risks.

Them being aware of the risks doesn't mean it's something to pass off as good for the sport or humane. When you stop questioning and accept everything fed to you as Bible you become blind which you clearly are to the point I am trying to make. If your such a fan of the sport your intention would be to make it better and more professional and friendly to those who have no fucking clue to what it is about.

I am not a fan of watching these old 40 year olds in the octagon, especially when they show ample blatant signs that they clearly don't belong in professional mixed martial arts anymore. Just so you can be happy and fill your quota of nostalgia semi sick sense of satisfaction that your hero of old fought today and was sleeping unconscious in some contorted fetal position that you then shooped for the LuLz. It's one thing when they can make a semi plausible run for the belt...but that sadly is not the case for quite a few atm. It's frequent now and common play for the sake of making a few bucks to create the UFC circus events of our heroes of old.

Excuse #2

Oh, XXXXX has no means to live and no viable income so he needs to fight to make a living.

*More bullshit. I am sorry but if these fighters have squandered every last dime of profit they have gained over the years and need to fight for the possibility of a few grand (and thats generous because they will never make top 5 or 10) then they deserve the hardship. You can rent a hole in the wall in some urban city and work at Wal Mart to buy food to live on. Thats what you get for not saving a dime of profits during your prime days of glory when you were king of the world.

So them having to live in poverty is fine but they shouldn't be allowed to risk injury for more money even if they're willing to? Okay...

You can't say one thing about a sport designed to hurt people and then expect another thing.

You're already paying and watching them go through hell to knock out or break the limbs of another person or get knocked out or broken yourself, and you're worried about the long-term health consequences of doing that for too long? If you're supporting one, then you can't say while keeping your integrity that you should impose limitations for the sake of the fighters' long-term health.

When did you see someone carried off on a stretcher paralyzed from the neck down? Sure, Chuck seems a little worse for the wear now after those KOs, but he's still in there and seems to be doing OK.

Who else are you talking about? Randy, BJ, Wand, Anderson?

Of course, most definitely. And Hendo.

At the end of the day it's the choice of the fighter, and if they are medically cleared to fight who is anybody to stand in the way of someone's personal decision?

This happens in every sport, and this is the hard truth, not just about sports but about life. Even if you think you know what is in somebody else's best interest, people are free to choose.

I'd have loved to see Chuck retire earlier, but he didn't. End of story.

So them having to live in poverty is fine but they shouldn't be allowed to try and compete for money even if they're willing to? Okay...

The majority who are in position to retire simply don't because they want fat money and like most old school warriors couldn't imagine a life outside fighting. That doesn't mean they should be allowed to continue in the UFC if they are displaying the signs of a fighter who is clearly not there...6 of 7 losses by ktfo, slurring of speech, twitching, you get the fucking picture right.

Those who would sink into poverty on retirement are exceptions. Most could ink out a living doing something and while not rich wouldn't be begging for clothing either. What the hell do you call living in poverty and making a living anyway ? The UFC doesn't need all their hall of famers to be fucking vegetables because YOU wanted to see him fight one last time and another and another.... He will do it because thats what he has done his whole life. I am saying the UFC should take a more active role in deciding when enough is enough and take that decision out of a fighters hands. These nostalgia fights also need to be weeded out of the sport...I don't want to watch old man nog vs old man wandy anymore..really its just stupid.

OH WAIT, THE DOCTORS CLEARED THEM..IT MUST BE OK !

What I see is a self-righteous opinionated person who sees life in black and white calling everyone blind because they don't see it as you do.

the UFC should take a more active role in deciding when enough is enough and take that decision out of a fighters hands

So if they go on to fight in smaller shows and get KTFO there for less money, that's better for their health? Are you actually concerned for their health or because YOU selfishly don't want to see 'old men' fight... lol

I do hope that we keep making progress on the brain injury research so there's a way to test dudes and find out who's brain is most susceptible to being injured and/or already injured and heading down a bad path. Then we simply don't license those fighters. This could potentially bring the sport to its knees, but it's worth it if it saves guys from getting ALS in their mid 40's.

I like that the NFL has been doing that lately with having to pass concussion tests before reentering a game, or before playing the week after. Its sad seeing someone like Ali look the way he does now because the research wasnt there back then. That easily could be Chuck/Wandy/Big Nog next and I would hate to see that.

So you don't think fighters should be cleared by medical professionals? Maybe the UFC should just call you every time a fighter over 35 fights?

Your righteous indignation is wearing pretty thin.

The majority who are in position to retire simply don't because they want fat money and like most old school warriors couldn't imagine a life outside fighting. That doesn't mean they should be allowed to continue in the UFC if they are displaying the signs of a fighter who is clearly not there...6 of 7 losses by ktfo, slurring of speech, twitching, you get the fucking picture right.

Those who would sink into poverty on retirement are exceptions. Most could ink out a living doing something and while not rich wouldn't be begging for clothing either. What the hell do you call living in poverty and making a living anyway ? The UFC doesn't need all their hall of famers to be fucking vegetables because YOU wanted to see him fight one last time and another and another.... He will do it because thats what he has done his whole life. I am saying the UFC should take a more active role in deciding when enough is enough and take that decision out of a fighters hands. These nostalgia fights also need to be weeded out of the sport...I don't want to watch old man nog vs old man wandy anymore..really its just stupid.

I think going off of a fans relative perception vs a doctors examination absolutely kills your point. And Cuck could STILL draw but Dana won't let him fight. Other than Chuck I perceive no one in eminent danger of long term effects as you described them. So the fighter that needs protection has it. Why is this not satisfactory to you?

So you don't think fighters should be cleared by medical professionals? Maybe the UFC should just call you every time a fighter over 35 fights?

Your righteous indignation is wearing pretty thin.

He's either a troll or pretty dumb, either way I wouldn't waste anymore time on him dude.

So if they go on to fight in smaller shows and get KTFO there for less money, that's better for their health? Are you actually concerned for their health or because YOU selfishly don't want to see 'old men' fight... lol

Very poor argument but it's something.

The UFC is the current top MMA entity in the world. As such, as it grows and if it is to prosper it must set itself above the standards of its peers and aspiring competitors with something called PROFESSIONALISM. So yeah, let me give my son a bag of heroine or a crack pipe or Horse anesthesia so he can get high because well YOU KNOW...he is going to get it anyways from some random thug down the corner where he COULD be killed. See what I did there ? While I honestly don't want to see Mirko die in some other organization there is no justification to allow him to fight on in the UFC because he wants to and feels he can competitively compete when it's obviously not the case. Other shows happen and Other shows have different rules and regulations so don't bother going there. I am talking about the UFC and the flaws currently in place that allow fans to revel in the past at the fighters expense..as in health and long term damage.

Don't sit there in denial and be a sheep it's disgusting. As well as the notion that fans don't affect anyone since your ratings are the ones that drive UFC sales. thkx.

Very poor argument but it's something.

The UFC is the current top MMA entity in the world. As such, as it grows and if it is to prosper it must set itself above the standards of its peers and aspiring competitors with something called PROFESSIONALISM. So yeah, let me give my son a bag of heroine or a crack pipe or Horse anesthesia so he can get high because well YOU KNOW...he is going to get it anyways from some random thug down the corner where he COULD be killed. See what I did there ? While I honestly don't want to see Mirko die in some other organization there is no justification to allow him to fight on in the UFC because he wants to and feels he can competitively compete when it's obviously not the case. Other shows happen and Other shows have different rules and regulations so don't bother going there. I am talking about the UFC and the flaws currently in place that allow fans to revel in the past at the fighters expense..as in health and long term damage.

Don't sit there in denial and be a sheep it's disgusting. As well as the notion that fans don't affect anyone since your ratings are the ones that drive UFC sales. thkx.

Omg I understand now. I'm so blind! You're a NY politician.

Fighters don't need your help determining when they should retire. That's why most sports have doctors clearing the athletes to participate.

I understand that it gets you all butt-hurt watching guys you idolize get knocked around by a younger generation of fighters, but getting knocked around is part of the sport. It's in no way an indication that you can't physically compete and make a living still, you just won't be as good.

That made absolutely no sense but I will chalk it up to not having an intelligent reply.

It does make sense to anyone who actually follow MMA instead of trying to push an irrelevant opinion on a topic they have no formal knowledge of besides guessing who can't handle more hits. You've continued to push the same points over and over despite we'll educated responses. Hell a person in their first fight could take permanent damage so by your argument no one should ever fight. You're the only one that fails to see the holes in your argument which in turn makes you not so smart. If rather read 100 "needs more birds" or "rickson by armbar" comments than another one of your "you guys are all sheep and I know what I'm talking about" comments. Give me 5 people active in the UFC that fit your criteria or seriously go away cause you've played all your cards and are losing.

So my next thread on how Saku should sign with the UFC to challenge Jones is a no no?

Back