Why are fans so blind to the fact that their champion is long due for retirement.

King Crab

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
It really sickens the shit out of me that so many of these so called "fans" continue to push for their favorites and hope they can pull wins out from their asses. No one thinks whats best for these old time warriors and the long term damage these people do to themselves just before they are "forced" to leave the sport.

Excuse #1

Oh, he is man and he can decide for himself when to quit.

* No, if you truly respect someone you have followed for years you would give him advice and make it plain that you don't support him fighting anymore. Do you let your best friend shoot heroin before he dies because it's his decision..NO. Do you let your best friend jump off a bridge because hes depressed..NO. There are lines and circumstances to letting a man be a man and when you need to step in. Dana is case in point. He considers Chuck someone special to him and drew a line in the sand for him..and even this was generous because chuck was seriously getting ktfo badly looking for an in ring death.

Excuse #2

Oh, XXXXX has no means to live and no viable income so he needs to fight to make a living.

*More bullshit. I am sorry but if these fighters have squandered every last dime of profit they have gained over the years and need to fight for the possibility of a few grand (and thats generous because they will never make top 5 or 10) then they deserve the hardship. You can rent a hole in the wall in some urban city and work at Wal Mart to buy food to live on. Thats what you get for not saving a dime of profits during your prime days of glory when you were king of the world.

So whats the protocol ... what restrictions should the sport have in place to prevent people from permanently damaging themselves in pursuit of $. Considering that these fighters have life changing injuries at any age and just entering the octagon can seriously cripple you for life.

I guess in the end its the decision of the corporates and owners of the UFC who need to aggressively step up to the plate and say hey, thats enough you need to leave. We watched Randy Couture leave the sport gracefully in his 40s but here was an intelligent man who knew who could still compete and be a factor in his division. He trained intelligently, never partied excessively (chuck,page) and was always smart to enter the ring healthy and (relatively) injury free.

Whats the point of this post..there is none..I just wanted to vent my anger at so called "FANS" who are so quick to yell for wandy or crocop or page to challenge whomever just because they want to see them in the ocatagon never minding that these guys are so fucking past their prime and taking chances on a free trip to the hospital in a coma that they may not wake up from.

Wow, they get paid to do those things man....u kinda scare me

I do hope that we keep making progress on the brain injury research so there's a way to test dudes and find out who's brain is most susceptible to being injured and/or already injured and heading down a bad path. Then we simply don't license those fighters. This could potentially bring the sport to its knees, but it's worth it if it saves guys from getting ALS in their mid 40's.

At the end of the day it's the choice of the fighter, and if they are medically cleared to fight who is anybody to stand in the way of someone's personal decision?

At the end of the day it's the choice of the fighter, and if they are medically cleared to fight who is anybody to stand in the way of someone's personal decision?

Chuck was constantly cleared to fight but shouldn't have been permitted to enter the ring. Your the type of slug who enjoys seeing people carried off on a stretcher paralyzed from the neck down..thats your idea of a good fight.

Thanks for not reading more than a sentence of what I just wrote.

I read the whole thing dude, you seem really intense and passionate about something only the actual fighters control. You make it seem that my want to see a cro cop fight actually has any impact on it hapeening

Worry about yourself. You clearly don't know enough about finances or physical safety to be preaching like this.

They should be saved from the ring but deserve the hardship of living in poverty off some minimum wage job for the next 50 years? Shut up.

I guess what I'm saying is fighters are adults and can make up their own minds and deal with the consequences of their choices

I read the whole thing dude, you seem really intense and passionate about something only the actual fighters control. You make it seem that my want to see a cro cop fight actually has any impact on it hapeening

My point is there should be policies and devices set in place that give fighters less control to continue fighting when it's obvious they shouldn't. You support something you are contributing to it, regardless if you feel it's "OK and your not hurting anyone"

My point is there should be policies and devices set in place that give fighters less control to continue fighting when it's obvious they shouldn't. You support something you are contributing to it, regardless if you feel it's "OK and your not hurting anyone"

I love cro cop, but the guy has done his fair share of hurting people. You should keep that in mind when he is taking a beating and then you wont feel so bad.

Did you just get in an argument with someone in real life and cant let it go so youre posting online about it?

I'm sure the fighters appreciate that you are very concerned for their safety as they move on in years. I guess the UFC could judge when a fighter can no longer fight at the high level they once did. But there are people that stay just outside the top 10 for years (in their primes), how do you justify not putting them out to pasture since they'll never be champ? Its awesome that you want them to have a good life, but if they know the risks and want to continue, that's their choice.

Back