Why are fans so blind to the fact that their champion is long due for retirement.

you say it yourself.

its up to the doctors to get their act together. not the fans.
the procedure for medical clearence should be changed.

Yeah just ignore something obviously wrong, after all your not the one who is damaged for life. Your the exact type of "fan" the sport could do without it and I have issue with.

I think he's right. Next time I'm having a one-on-one heart to heart with Wanderlei, I'll let him know that he should retire.

Furthermore, I think we should apply this logic to every risky job. For instance, I used to work along side commercial fishermen. Given that a lot of these guys are clearly out of their primes, I'll let them know that they aren't able to make their own decisions on when they should retire. Come to think of it, since there is a very real possibility of dying every time they go out, I should probably let all of know that they should retire since they're children who have no idea what the risks are.

I think he's right. Next time I'm having a one-on-one heart to heart with Wanderlei, I'll let him know that he should retire.

Furthermore, I think we should apply this logic to every risky job. For instance, I used to work along side commercial fishermen. Given that a lot of these guys are clearly out of their primes, I'll let them know that they aren't able to make their own decisions on when they should retire. Come to think of it, since there is a very real possibility of dying every time they go out, I should probably let all of know that they should retire since they're children who have no idea what the risks are.

Exactly, it's more the fighters choice than anyone else's. I think TS is picking a fight with the wrong people

brick-loud-noises-b.jpeg

Rampage got the respect he deserved for about 2 months when he was champion.

Sherdog has always looked for ways to count him out.

When this account was born the only thing regarding Rampage you could read here was "Wanderlei washed him" to response to anything Jackson related. Hence their need to dub Rampage 2.0 to 8.6

Your so creative with your sarcasm but you try too hard.

The UFC is in a perfect position atm but unfortunately seems to be in the habit of creating these "circus events" of fighters way past their prime. It is in my opinion a disservice to the sport , to the fighters themselves and people who may be watching mma for the first time.

While your stupidity of comparing fisherman to the UFC is noted I fail to read any real points in your arguement against my case. Your the type that leaves everything in the hands of someone else which then makes it right for YOU. Another sheeple could care less about the well being of UFC fighters as long as it's entertaining.

Nah. I say we petition the UFC for a one night, open weight tournament featuring Coleman, Sakuraba, CC, Chuck, Ken Shamrock, Shannon Ritch, Giant Silva, and Bob Sapp. Winner gets a shot at Cain/Jones/Silva depending on weight class. I mean if the fans want it then its guaranteed to happen, at least by TS's logic.

Nah. I say we petition the UFC for a one night, open weight tournament featuring Coleman, Sakuraba, CC, Chuck, Ken Shamrock, Shannon Ritch, Giant Silva, and Bob Sapp. Winner gets a shot at Cain/Jones/Silva depending on weight class. I mean if the fans want it then its guaranteed to happen, at least by TS's logic.

It's not what the fans want that bothers me as that obviously has no weight whatsoever. The UFC will do what is in it's best interest to make $ and the sport thrive.

What is wrong is when fans ignore , are not aware or fully support aspects of this sport that are clearly not in the fighters interest. Case in point, fighters who are past their prime, fucking old and seriously have no place in the competitive hierarchy of their division.

Lets get that nostalgia going, Oh I want to see Crocop twitching and unconscious on the ropes ..awesome hes a real legend !

Colored belts obviously have no meaning in this forum judging from the responses I am getting.

What's the point of this rant?

You act as if the fans are the ones making them fight. Look, I like Wanderlei, he's been one of my favorite fighters since PRIDE, if he fights I cheer for him.

You seem to have delusions of grandeur about how much fans effect what happens. You think the UFC brass are sitting there thinking "hmm, I'm afraid if Wandy gets knocked out again he might suffer traumatic brain injury, but some people on Sherdog want him to fight, so what can we do?"

I think you are finding fault with the fan base though, which isn't completely wrong. Yes, organizations are there to make money in mma as they are in all forms of business. But keep in mind that the worst possible thing that could happen to UFC/M-1/Bellator would be having a fighter die in the cage or as a result of the fight. Yes, "Dana retired" Chuck but don't think for a second he couldn't have made more money off him for at least 1 to 2 more years. It doesn't look good to have a guy get flatlined over an over.

We've known about aging boxers being punch drunk for years and years now but mma as a sport is an infant when compared to pro-boxing. Give it time and I guarantee that state commissions will start turning down fighters for reasons other than failing drug tests.

What it comes down to is we are responsible for every way in our lives.

If people want to fight, and they are sanctioned they should fight as long as people will pay to watch.

What's the point of this rant?

You act as if the fans are the ones making them fight. Look, I like Wanderlei, he's been one of my favorite fighters since PRIDE, if he fights I cheer for him.

You seem to have delusions of grandeur about how much fans effect what happens. You think the UFC brass are sitting there thinking "hmm, I'm afraid if Wandy gets knocked out again he might suffer traumatic brain injury, but some people on Sherdog want him to fight, so what can we do?"

I never once said the fans drive UFC policies in this thread so you are misinformed or misinterpreting. It is more about bringing to light the consequences of having these relics in the octagon. The ignorance and indifference of the fans indirectly supports UFC policy failure. It makes the sport look bad and seriously does nothing for it since these guys are not actual contenders and there for selfish nostalgia purposes and wwe pay per view fan fare.

Please actually try and understand what the meaning behind this post is about and you won't be so confused.

I never once said the fans drive UFC policies in this thread so you are misinformed or misinterpreting. It is more about bringing to light the consequences of having these relics in the octagon. The ignorance and indifference of the fans indirectly supports UFC policy failure. It makes the sport look bad and seriously does nothing for it since these guys are not actual contenders and there for selfish nostalgia purposes and wwe pay per view fan fare.

Please actually try and understand what the meaning behind this post is about and you won't be so confused.

I'm not confused, I read what you said and I understood all of it. My point is that I think you're directing your angst at the wrong people here. Instead of ranting at the fans, which was the whole point of your OP, go tweet to Dana or something.

I don't even disagree with the point of your original post, in that I think some of these guys stay around longer than they should, but again, ranting at the fans as if we have any control over anything is simply wasting your energy yelling at the wrong target. In my opinion.

What it comes down to is we are responsible for every way in our lives.

If people want to fight, and they are sanctioned they should fight as long as people will pay to watch.

Just because people are sanctioned isn't a licence to have them in the ring as the obvious medical standards suck ass. Your even worse because you blindly follow along happy with the knowledge that your watching two people in the octagon who don't belong there anymore. Where do you draw line..do you have one ? By your standards everything is ok even when something is wrong.

Damn, only 2 days into 2013 and I think this will be a contender for troll thread of the year.

If not, OP is dense...even for someone on the intrawebz.

Fighters have been fighting too long since the beginning of prize fighting. I realize that this post comes from a need to help and protect these guys, but it isn't going to happen.

If a fighter gets medical clearance and a contract with an org then he's gonna fight. This isn't the 1950s, fighters today are well aware of the risks.

Chuck was constantly cleared to fight but shouldn't have been permitted to enter the ring. Your the type of slug who enjoys seeing people carried off on a stretcher paralyzed from the neck down..thats your idea of a good fight.

When did you see someone carried off on a stretcher paralyzed from the neck down? Sure, Chuck seems a little worse for the wear now after those KOs, but he's still in there and seems to be doing OK.

Who else are you talking about? Randy, BJ, Wand, Anderson?

Back