Why are bouncers such bully jerks?

Worked as a bouncer for a few years (in my 20’s) at some big clubs in south FL as well as Vegas. I agree we are jerks lol. Also when I transitioned to bartending (what any Sherdogger would do) the floodgates to banging 10’s every work night opens up like the parting of the Red Sea.

Bartending > Bouncing
Difference between being in the friend zones and the end zones.

I worked as a bouncer/doorman for ages 18-27. I did it for fun and extra money while I went to school and later grad school. I always had a 9-5 job as well but really enjoyed my nights working at clubs as it kept me soberish and put a few $$$ in my pockets instead of the opposite.

A lot of guys that do security work rely on the money and don't have a lot going for them. Especially anyone 35+ in age. Most of them have giant chips they carry around and resent patrons, especially the bouncers that work at bars as opposed to night clubs.

A tip: if you're a regular at a place be overly friendly to the staff. Show up with a box of donuts or box of coffee. You'll recieve goodwill and a disproportionate amount of perks, lol. People end up in the ambulance for messing with the guy who brought dunkin donuts hot chocolate for the door staff in Jan.

He also gets help meeting ladies..

A little friendliness or a kind gesture can make a big difference.

You don't even have to bribe people with donuts and coffee.

Just look people in the eyes, treat them with respect, and don't be a douchebag.

I've never once in my life had issues with bouncers or security personal at bars, clubs, concerts, anything. Follow their instructions and don't be an asshole and you're going to be fine 99% of the time.

I had one buddy growing up who couldn't stop talking shit no matter what. The kind of kid who'd talk shit to police officers as a 15 year old when they tell him to put out his cigarette until it escalated into him getting beaten up and arrested. By the time we were 21, he was still doing the same shit. If he picked a fight with bouncer we'd just watch him get kicked out and stay at the bar. Some people never learn how to function in public.

Well they deal with shitty situations all night. In my opinion the biggest bullies I have ever met are US custom agents and security personnel at US airports. Not only are they impolite but they are looking for excuses to scream at you and go full bootcamp on you. You only see this in US. In shithole countries and in Yurrp you get treated with respect as passengers.

Me and the family went up to Vancouver for a weekend a few years ago. Two vehicles full of US citizens, kids in both cars. Me driving one, my Navy veteran brother in law driving the other. Everyone has proper documentation.

At the Canadian border, super friendly female border agent asks us what we're doing reviews our documents, tells us to have a great time in Canada and waves us through.

Coming back home to the US, four USCBP guys with M16s surround the van while we're having our documentation reviewed and then repeatedly yell at us DO YOU HAVE ANY FRUITS OR VEGETABLES IN THE VEHICLE?!?!

When they finally let us through it looks like they're angry they didn't get to strip search the vehicle and everyone in it.

Last edited:

Just look people in the eyes, treat them with respect, and don't be a douchebag.

I've never once in my life had issues with bouncers or security personal at bars, clubs, concerts, anything. Follow their instructions and don't be an asshole and you're going to be fine 99% of the time.

I had one buddy growing up who couldn't stop talking shit no matter what. The kind of kid who'd talk shit to police officers as a 15 year old when they tell him to put out his cigarette until it escalated into him getting beaten up and arrested. By the time we were 21, he was still doing the same shit. If he picked a fight with bouncer we'd just watch him get kicked out and stay at the bar. Some people never learn how to function in public.

100%. But coffee or donuts buys some perks with any staff. I own several businesses and it's nice when clients or regulars do something nice unexpectedly. I like to do nice things for people.

That being said I've never had a bad interaction with security either. Being a decent person doesn't cost anything.

That because the TSA has to work with Americans, self centred and self absorbed cry babies. In Europe they mostly deal with sensible people happy to let them do their job.
TBF I don’t see Americans as particularly complicated to deal with on the contrary. A few Karens here and there but generally nice folks.
These airport workers are like a hidden camera prank every time.

Just sounds like he needs a friend, maybe ask him if he wants to go out for a beer..........

@Phlog you've worked in this industry, what do you think? Maybe hug a bouncer day would be a good thing.

When I studied I worked in the evenings at a gym. Some bouncers trained there every day, so I knew them well. All very nice as far as I could see and when I go to a club they let me in without needing to pay and I went to some places with them when they didn't work, but they all were also a bit crazy. They always have some stories of fights and it was clear they like the adrenaline of it.

Also one time I was in a big club in the Netherlands which had many bouncers. There was a fight inside which also involved some North African man in suits and one of them was taken by the bouncers to a room. Suddenly many big cars showed up with many people inside and the approx 20 bouncers tried to stop them, but couldn't do it and then the bouncers got back inside and locked the doors. That group broke the big glass doors and got inside. I think they had to release the man they were holding. Not long after this at the same club one bouncer was killed also.

Just sounds like he needs a friend, maybe ask him if he wants to go out for a beer..........

@Phlog you've worked in this industry, what do you think? Maybe hug a bouncer day would be a good thing.
The last thing they want is punters touching them!

I think in all the time I worked as a bouncer the most rewarding experience was whenever I was offered sexual favours from an attractive lady.

I think the upset bouncers don't get any.

Well they deal with shitty situations all night. In my opinion the biggest bullies I have ever met are US custom agents and security personnel at US airports. Not only are they impolite but they are looking for excuses to scream at you and go full bootcamp on you. You only see this in US. In shithole countries and in Yurrp you get treated with respect as passengers.
ya, they are assholes, i had some shampoo or something in a carry on, they said they had to throw it away, like they were waiting for me to cry or something, I told them to go ahead.

why is someone like that your pal? I hate being around people who are even rude to people at a driveup window.

TBF I don’t see Americans as particularly complicated to deal with on the contrary. A few Karens here and there but generally nice folks.
These airport workers are like a hidden camera prank every time.
american's have the rep as "the ugly american" for good reason. Impatient, entitled, overall pretty childish. Sometimes I get a kick out of their idea of being oppressed, most of the time I don't.

Lennox Lewis used to say how he had utter contempt for bouncers he'd see when they'd swell all up in front of him I knew just the type he meant too.

I had the same experience when entering the US. At the controll check the person in front of me was done and I was next. I looked at the man doing the check and he looked back at me as if he was saying I could come. So I walked towards him and he starts to scream 'go back, I will tell you when I am ready'. That was just one thing. It was certainly not a welcoming experience. In Europe it is sometimes not much better. Also in Asia it is sometimes far from friendly. Even if you say hello they can't even say something back. Seems more like a problem at security posts at airports in general, but the US is probably among the worst.

why is someone like that your pal? I hate being around people who are even rude to people at a driveup window.

Less of a friend, more of an acquaintance. I ended up moving to the other coast haven't seen him in decades.

i think most security at the airport is outsourced and the psychological evaluations that are done are generally glossed over, so you get a bunch of on-the-edge assholes that you can't really hold the airport responsible (like it is here in Euro), which leaves a vacuum of responsibility that allows for shitheads to thrive. the only times i saw nothing but askissing when arriving at a US airport from outside was when i went on the first lane, the one for military personnel. all the other times, when i used regular lanes, the personnel were either pissed, unhelpful, not giving a shit, generally unpleasant. Never had problems myself but goddamn it just felt miserable.
Second most miserable airport experience after Ben Gurion, which is absolutely a nightmare.

I was there in the summer and found it to be fine myself. American airports though - fuck no. I deliberately avoid any flight with a change in the USA, I refuse to do it anymore. Last time was like 2016, never since.

Alcohol, Steroid, and whatever recreational drugs they can procure from inebriated patrons.