Why are bouncers such bully jerks?

It's a mixture of having to deal with assholes all day and giving someone "power."

Many people will turn into assholes if you give them some power.

Most people will turn into assholes if they have to deal with assholes all day.

It would take incredible strength of character to not change for the worse in that kind of situation.

I know of this one bouncer who works downtown at a club who also happens to be a jerk/bully you can tell he feeds off making others fear him, than potentially fight them if they stand up to him. This isn't just one but i've experienced many bouncers to be this way and to be brutally honest i've only ever met one that was nice and enjoyable to be around. They love to gaslight others to make them think their the bad ones when yet they would have no remorse hurting someone🙄
Well they deal with shitty situations all night. In my opinion the biggest bullies I have ever met are US custom agents and security personnel at US airports. Not only are they impolite but they are looking for excuses to scream at you and go full bootcamp on you. You only see this in US. In shithole countries and in Yurrp you get treated with respect as passengers.

I know of this one bouncer who works downtown at a club who also happens to be a jerk/bully you can tell he feeds off making others fear him, than potentially fight them if they stand up to him. This isn't just one but i've experienced many bouncers to be this way and to be brutally honest i've only ever met one that was nice and enjoyable to be around. They love to gaslight others to make them think their the bad ones when yet they would have no remorse hurting someone🙄
They vary. You have people like dirty bob schrijber...

1701851681967.png

He'd fish hook him mum for candy.

Then you have Dolph Lundgren..

1701851787171.png

Nice guy. Only fish hooking is on a river to a fish.

People do things for different reasons. Can't label them all with the same sticker. Some people are born nice & some are just cunts.

Well they deal with shitty situations all night. In my opinion the biggest bullies I have ever met are US custom agents and security personnel at US airports. Not only are they impolite but they are looking for excuses to scream at you and go full bootcamp on you. You only see this in US. In shithole countries and in Yurrp you get treated with respect as passengers.

That because the TSA has to work with Americans, self centred and self absorbed cry babies. In Europe they mostly deal with sensible people happy to let them do their job.

@lsa was a bouncer till he got beat up by a gang of hooligans after he refused to accept a $20 to let them in. He demanded $25 but they thought it was too much.

In my opinion the biggest bullies I have ever met are US custom agents and security personnel at US airports. Not only are they impolite but they are looking for excuses to scream at you and go full bootcamp on you. You only see this in US. In shithole countries and in Yurrp you get treated with respect as passengers.
i think most security at the airport is outsourced and the psychological evaluations that are done are generally glossed over, so you get a bunch of on-the-edge assholes that you can't really hold the airport responsible (like it is here in Euro), which leaves a vacuum of responsibility that allows for shitheads to thrive. the only times i saw nothing but askissing when arriving at a US airport from outside was when i went on the first lane, the one for military personnel. all the other times, when i used regular lanes, the personnel were either pissed, unhelpful, not giving a shit, generally unpleasant. Never had problems myself but goddamn it just felt miserable.
Second most miserable airport experience after Ben Gurion, which is absolutely a nightmare.

Of course Sherdog would be the place to defend bouncers <Lmaoo>

If a place has bouncers, it's not worth going to anyway.
Sounds like the kind of arguement a person who has trouble with bouncers would provide.

<28>

i think most security at the airport is outsourced and the psychological evaluations that are done are generally glossed over, so you get a bunch of on-the-edge assholes that you can't really hold the airport responsible (like it is here in Euro), which leaves a vacuum of responsibility that allows for shitheads to thrive. the only times i saw nothing but askissing when arriving at a US airport from outside was when i went on the first lane, the one for military personnel. all the other times, when i used regular lanes, the personnel were either pissed, unhelpful, not giving a shit, generally unpleasant. Never had problems myself but goddamn it just felt miserable.
Second most miserable airport experience after Ben Gurion, which is absolutely a nightmare.
Maybe because the workers in the military line had to deal with well behaved people?

I think how the staff behave is a good bellwether as to the quality of the punters. Not the only effect of course, but probably the grater part of it.

Sounds like the kind of arguement a person who has trouble with bouncers would provide.

<28>

Maybe because the workers in the military line had to deal with well behaved people?

I think how the staff behave is a good bellwether as to the quality of the punters. Not the only effect of course, but probably the grater part of it.
perhaps. the lane was much more empty, it's true. maybe the staffing was separate from the civ lane.

perhaps. the lane was much more empty, it's true. maybe the staffing was separate from the civ lane.
I imagine American military personnel are really well behaved and don't complain about having to take orders. Staffing that lane is probably a better gig that gets more permanent, senior or quality staff as well. But I reckon it's the quality of the interactions that's really significant.

I can only imagine the number of civilian yanks who complain about having to take off their shoes when asked.

I imagine American military personnel are really well behaved and don't complain about having to take orders. Staffing that lane is probably a better gig that gets more permanent, senior or quality staff as well. But I reckon it's the quality of the interactions that's really significant.

I can only imagine the number of civilian yanks who complain about having to take off their shoes when asked.
we don't have to do that in Europe, i don't remember the last time i had to take off my shoes, but yes, in America you have to do it still i think.
so annoying.

Yeah, what a great question. How could it possibly be that bouncers are dickheads? What on earth could explain that?

You've got a low paying job that selects for people based on their percieved physicality and ability to intimidate. You then give those people significant social power in view of a bunch of tarted up and drunken females, over a bunch of dudes who are by design, mostly smaller than the bouncer and are almost certainly also drunk.

It's really hard to believe that more geniuses and philanthropists aren't drawn to the profession. What a mystery.

TS's next thread: Why are basketball players tall?

I will add that bouncer was in its own way best job i had so far

Like it sucked ass but you were surrounded by hilarious characters and interesting events and nostalgia sometimes hits lol

@lsa was a bouncer till he got beat up by a gang of hooligans after he refused to accept a $20 to let them in. He demanded $25 but they thought it was too much.

I never forgave those mean hooligans.
Why a gang of women would do that to me I never know. I mean it was only 5 bucks each

The coolest bouncers I ever met was a strip club in Vegas. My cousin use to work there doing valet and his girlfriend at the time was the bartender. The bouncers were the two twin brothers from Oceans 11 and 12.
View attachment 1015051
The old Crazy Horse Saloon in Vegas off Sahara Avenue had the meanest, nastiest bouncers I've ever witnessed. They constantly looked for trouble and a reason to get physical. Went there three or four times and kept seeing it and heard stories and never went back. Really the only place I ever saw bouncers acting like that.

Generally speaking, I stopped going to places that have bouncers many years ago. But a few years back (it might be 10, I'm old. IYKYK) a friend of mine was working at a local strip club as a bouncer and suggested I join him since I'm Sher-dog sized and have a strong resting-bitch face. He claimed it was fun, and maybe it was - cheap alcohol and scantily clad women - but my day job is way too good to risk for a minimum wage gig where I could get shanked by a methed-out redneck when I try to stop him from sexually assaulting a dancer.
To the OP: They are usually only bullies to those that need bullying. It's what they are paid to do.

The old Crazy Horse Saloon in Vegas off Sahara Avenue had the meanest, nastiest bouncers I've ever witnessed. They constantly looked for trouble and a reason to get physical. Went there three or four times and kept seeing it and heard stories and never went back. Really the only place I ever saw bouncers acting like that.
Imagine the shit they gotta deal with every night. In Hawaii a lot of the bars/clubs use to have huge Samoan bouncers. I still remember one night in Waikiki one of them was full on throwing bombs at some dude (looked like a tourist). Not sure what happened as we were just walking by, but the most surprising thing was that he took those shots and barely looked phased. Not sure if they didn't connect well or not, but I think even the bouncer was surprised.

Anyway I think strip clubs is a different type of place especially in Vegas. Since my cousin and his girl were both in the industry circle they knew a lot of security/bouncers. We use to get in the most popular night clubs all the time for free. All that was required was we had 1:1 ratio of female to male. I think till this day she may still be a bartender at Tao Beach. Back when we use to go was like 14-15 years ago.

Imagine the shit they gotta deal with every night. In Hawaii a lot of the bars/clubs use to have huge Samoan bouncers. I still remember one night in Waikiki one of them was full on throwing bombs at some dude (looked like a tourist). Not sure what happened as we were just walking by, but the most surprising thing was that he took those shots and barely looked phased. Not sure if they didn't connect well or not, but I think even the bouncer was surprised.

Anyway I think strip clubs is a different type of place especially in Vegas. Since my cousin and his girl were both in the industry circle they knew a lot of security/bouncers. We use to get in the most popular night clubs all the time for free. All that was required was we had 1:1 ratio of female to male. I think till this day she may still be a bartender at Tao Beach. Back when we use to go was like 14-15 years ago.
When I first moved to Vegas in the 90s I hit the strip clubs for the first couple months I was there. It was new to me and kind of cool but eventually wore thin. Those dancers are just relentless asking to dance for you all the time. Crazy Horse was reputedly owned by the mob and had numerous incidents there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Horse_Too

I was in Hawaii several times and remember the size of those Samoan doormen. Unbelievably tall and built.