Why are bouncers such bully jerks?

Steveston

Lion's Den
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know of this one bouncer who works downtown at a club who also happens to be a jerk/bully you can tell he feeds off making others fear him, than potentially fight them if they stand up to him. This isn't just one but i've experienced many bouncers to be this way and to be brutally honest i've only ever met one that was nice and enjoyable to be around. They love to gaslight others to make them think their the bad ones when yet they would have no remorse hurting someone🙄

Last edited:
I know of this one bouncer who works downtown at a club who also happens to be a jerk/bully you can tell he feeds off making others fear him and than potentially fight them if they stand up to him. This isn't just one but i've experienced many bouncers to be this way and to be brutally honest i've only ever met one that was nice and enjoyable to be around. They love to gaslight others to make them think their the bad ones when yet they would have no remorse hurting someone🙄
You lost all credibility and respect by using the term "gaslight". Im assuming someone who uses that term deserved to be bullied.

You lost all credibility and respect by using the term "gaslight". Im assuming someone who uses that term deserved to be bullied.
It's only a terminology to define reverse psychology.

I know of this one bouncer who works downtown at a club who also happens to be a jerk/bully you can tell he feeds off making others fear him and than potentially fight them if they stand up to him. This isn't just one but i've experienced many bouncers to be this way and to be brutally honest i've only ever met one that was nice and enjoyable to be around. They love to gaslight others to make them think their the bad ones when yet they would have no remorse hurting someone🙄

I worked as a bouncer/doorman for ages 18-27. I did it for fun and extra money while I went to school and later grad school. I always had a 9-5 job as well but really enjoyed my nights working at clubs as it kept me soberish and put a few $$$ in my pockets instead of the opposite.

A lot of guys that do security work rely on the money and don't have a lot going for them. Especially anyone 35+ in age. Most of them have giant chips they carry around and resent patrons, especially the bouncers that work at bars as opposed to night clubs.

A tip: if you're a regular at a place be overly friendly to the staff. Show up with a box of donuts or box of coffee. You'll recieve goodwill and a disproportionate amount of perks, lol. People end up in the ambulance for messing with the guy who brought dunkin donuts hot chocolate for the door staff in Jan.

He also gets help meeting ladies..

A little friendliness or a kind gesture can make a big difference.

Last edited:
A lot of them are meatheads but some are cool. I got kicked out off of clubs a few times by bouncers for rowdy and getting into fights. One time a bouncer had me in a choke and I seoi nage him and we both fell on the ground. I tried to go for a heelhook and then the bouncer started to punch the the shit out of me LOL

I worked as a bouncer/doorman for ages 18-27. I did it for fun and extra money while I went to school and later grad school. I always had a 9-5 job as well but really enjoyed my nights working at clubs as it kept me soberish and put a few $$$ in my pockets instead of the opposite.

A lot of guys that do security work rely on the money and don't have a lot going for them. Especially anyone 35+ in age. Most of them have giant chips they carry around and resent patrons, especially the bouncers that work at bars as opposed to night clubs.

A tip: if you're a regular at a place be overly friendly to the staff. Show up with a box of donuts or box of coffee. You won't believe the goodwill and perks, lol.

Many patrons treat bouncers poorly, assume they're dumb and don't realize how a little friendliness and a kind gesture can make a big difference.
Makes plenty of sense, of course you can't say they are all bad just seems positions that hold power tend to get overly used. Also location makes a difference too the worst experiences are usually downtown in rough parts.

It varies. Most bouncers are just regular people. Some are weirdos with a chip on their shoulder, or a desperate need to feel powerful, or feel tough, or to hurt someone with minimal reprecussions.

Maybe it's because bars and clubs are a dime a dozen by me, but any time I got the slightest hint of someone not wanting my business I was happy to take my money elsewhere.

Makes plenty of sense, of course you can't say they are all bad just seems positions that hold power tend to get overly used. Also location makes a difference too the worst experiences are usually downtown in rough parts.

I get it. I've seen some agregious behavior and abuses of power, but 99% of the time the patron did something which began the negative interaction.