Why are 90% of Shertards always bashing Holm and being so blind to her skill set?

Here's another idea: Holm manages to avoid the early TDs, Rousey slows down and is outpointed on the feet.

It's hard to bet against Rousey, given how fast she can finish once the fight hits the ground, but Holm's most likely path to victory is a decision. She has shown all the skills to be able to pull this off.

..except that we've never seen Ronda fight a real quality striker.

well, its a shame that we're not going to get to see a boxer that uses their hands to actually do damage. kicking against Ronda/strong grapplers probably isnt the best idea so what exactly is Holm going to do to win?

when? when did she almost finish Reneau? I rewatched the fight last night. it's really strange...for a boxer, she almost never lands any punches in any of her fights...it's all linear kicks and the occasional head kick. she literally probably only landed 10 punches in the fight against Reneau and many of them were in that last second flurry at the end of the fight.

I think you might be wrong. According to Fightmetric Holm landed 27 significant strikes to the head, over 5 times more than her opponent. Im pretty sure a vast majority of those 27 strikes were punches, not headkicks or elbows.

http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/fd984e8a9e25c927

Hishhhhh!!!!

Seriously her fights turn hilarious with the noises she makes

It's a very strange idea. She doesn't time her grunts to make her strikes more powerful. Instead she grunts early. And then sometimes grunts as a feint. Who else does that?

Remember when Sherdog said "Holly Holm is going to come in and KO everyone"?

Yeah i remember.
Still waiting.

well, its a shame that we're not going to get to see a boxer that uses their hands to actually do damage. kicking against Ronda/strong grapplers probably isnt the best idea so what exactly is Holm going to do to win?

Come on man.... You're exaggerating.

giphy.gif

Holm-Reneau.gif

I'm not entirely sure why you are so critical of Holm but I'm guessing part of it has to do with how cautiously she works her way into a fight.

I actually appreciate that sort of tactical skill. She knows that she doesn't have jaw-shattering power in her hands so she fights accordingly; staying light and mobile, only getting aggressive when the opponent is softened up and ready to go.

She is also smart in choosing how/when to kick. So yeah, I absolutely do expect her to kick against Rousey. She needs the kicks to push Rousey back, break her body down and keep her thinking about the sneaky HK. Without that, she is toast.

Once again: I'm not riding the HH hype train. I fully realize that she might get taken down and finished early just like the rest. I am just looking forward to seeing how Rousey reacts to an opponent who knows how to fight on the move and has the striking brain to make her pay for her mistakes.

giphy.gif

Holm-Reneau.gif

I'm not entirely sure why you are so critical of Holm but I'm guessing part of it has to do with how cautiously she works her way into a fight.

I actually appreciate that sort of tactical skill. She knows that she doesn't have jaw-shattering power in her hands so she fights accordingly; staying light and mobile, only getting aggressive when the opponent is softened up and ready to go.

She is also smart in choosing how/when to kick. So yeah, I absolutely do expect her to kick against Rousey.

Once again: I'm not riding the HH hype train. I fully realize that she might get taken down and finished early just like the rest. I am just looking forward to seeing how Rousey reacts to an opponent who knows how to fight on the move and has the striking brain to make her pay for her mistakes.
I'm not trying to be a dick, but those 2 gifs were the most eventful moments of the fight. Seriously, it was a terrible terrible fight.

She understands striking and distance more than most girls at WBW, but that isn't saying much. How will she handle being constantly pressured and clinched? I don't think it's going to bode well for Holly.

Hahaha... Holm is going to get demolished within 1 minute. Stop selling wolf tickets.

I'm with you TS. I don't get the Holm hate. I mean, this gif combined with the imminently laughable pre and post-fight trash talk, invites ridicule:

VelvetyBelatedBellsnake.gif

But Holm is another story. She has an elite boxing background and while she hasn't looked particularly exciting in the UFC, her athleticism, gameplanning and coaching support are top shelf.

I'm not a fan, but she's earned the right to trashtalk if she wanted to and it wouldn't be ridiculous.

I can't stop laughing at this, she literally has no vert.

How will she handle being constantly pressured and clinched? I don't think it's going to bode well for Holly.

No one knows but I'm guessing she'll handle it better than Miesha or Bethe, who aren't in the same universe in terms of footwork and overall athleticism.

Seriously, I don't get everyone's need to shit on this matchup. Holm is a quality opponent in this division.

ts answered his own question with first five words of thread title.

No one knows but I'm guessing she'll handle it better than Miesha or Bethe, who aren't in the same universe in terms of footwork and overall athleticism.

Seriously, I don't get everyone's need to shit on this matchup. Holm is a quality opponent in this division.

Exactly, thats why I made this thread. I dont have any problem with people who think Rousey is going to dominate, which I also believe, but shitting on Holm in everyway they can just because they cant see she is actually a decent athlete with a respectable combat sport career, and also an interesting stylistic match up for Ronda for a change, is just disgusting.

If Ronda easily crushes Holm too, that tells us more about how incredible fighter Ronda is, than how weak her opponent again was. Holm is no Cyborg, I get it, but she certainly is not another Bethe either. Holm deserves some respect.

Holm has no grappling so there's pretty much no chance she wins

Her striking is excellent though. If she wasn't 34 she'd have more time to learn Jiu Jitsu

Holly Holm competed in boxing primarily in the ABQ where she was acclimatized and most of her opponents weren't and she basically won on the basis of cardio and outworking girls generally to a decision with the occasional TKO. There's one fight where the ref gives her every chance to get knocked the fuck out and it's hilarious.

She doesn't have one shot power in her hands though she can KO with her kicks. Problem is she won't kick against Ronda probably because she doesn't want to give up any takedown opportunities. Maybe she's bad at wrestling, maybe she's good, who knows? She's done her damndest to avoid the clinch and grappling in her career so it's hard to tell how good she is when fighting someone more mobile and athletic than Pennington.

Ronda punches hard, can initiate knee taps off kick attempts, has world class judo and submission grappling. Holm can't keep a slow marching brawler off her and hasn't shown much power in her hands, this is why I think she can't win.

giphy.gif

Holm-Reneau.gif

She is also smart in choosing how/when to kick. So yeah, I absolutely do expect her to kick against Rousey. She needs the kicks to push Rousey back, break her body down and keep her thinking about the sneaky HK. Without that, she is toast.

that first gif i think is the very end of the fight...one of the 10 punches (a guess) she landed in the entire fight.

the second gif ends with a clinch, i believe...Ronda only needs 1 and Holly is going for a ride.

also, that was a terrible fight...Holly outsized and outclassed her but wasnt even close to finishing Reneau.

Why do we all have 10k vcash now?

i noticed that an hour ago...thought it was just because i wasnt logged in or something.

Holm has no grappling so there's pretty much no chance she wins

Her striking is excellent though. If she wasn't 34 she'd have more time to learn Jiu Jitsu

by striking, you must mean kicking because SHE'S AN ELITE BOXER WHO ALMOST NEVER PUNCHES ANYONE.

thought it was just the two UFC fights so i watched the one where she head kicked the black woman...she was SLIGHTLY more aggressive but still barely landed any punches.

so either her opponents are elite at evading punches or she doesn't really throw her punches to do any damage. i get that she's a kickboxer now but its like she forgot to actually use her hands for damage.

Holly Holm competed in boxing primarily in the ABQ where she was acclimatized and most of her opponents weren't and she basically won on the basis of cardio and outworking girls generally to a decision with the occasional TKO. There's one fight where the ref gives her every chance to get knocked the fuck out and it's hilarious.

She doesn't have one shot power in her hands though she can KO with her kicks. Problem is she won't kick against Ronda probably because she doesn't want to give up any takedown opportunities. Maybe she's bad at wrestling, maybe she's good, who knows? She's done her damndest to avoid the clinch and grappling in her career so it's hard to tell how good she is when fighting someone more mobile and athletic than Pennington.

Ronda punches hard, can initiate knee taps off kick attempts, has world class judo and submission grappling. Holm can't keep a slow marching brawler off her and hasn't shown much power in her hands, this is why I think she can't win.

did she actually land punches in boxing or just shadowbox in front of her opponents there also?

did she actually land punches in boxing or just shadowbox in front of her opponents there also?

Her style is very similar in boxing, though she does a lot more holding. For shits and giggles find Holm/Mathis 1 and watch her get knocked out twice.

I actually like the fight lol, I think Holm could possibly pose a few problems for Ronda.

Back