Crazy Stat about Rumble at LHW

Would have liked to see Rumble vs Poatan but he shot for a TD on Vitor pretty quickly so I imagine he would do the same to Pereira.
i feel like he'd stand because he had a pretty solid chin. Rumble never got KO'd or TKO'd his whole career apart from that garbage eye poke TKO (thanks Mazzagatti). Poatan might have been the guy to crack that chin but it wouldve been tense the whole (likely short) time it would last.

Reactions: mkt
That's true. Arlovski also went the distance with the same Strikeforce TRT Bigfoot who finished Fedor. And Arlovski finished a much younger Travis Browne who had recently KO'd Barnett, Overeem and Gonzaga. MMA is weird sometimes.

MMA isn't weird. Arlvoski was a world class talent who was capable of putting on world class performances. Jon Jones has said many times how intense his sparring sessions were with Andrei. He said something along the lines of, "I gotta go in there and spar Andrei Arlovski. You don't know what it's like to get hit by someone like him."

Arlovski at his very best was fully capable of beating anyone ever.

Just needed to survive that 1st round and Rumble just crumbles.
Rumble won 3 round UDs against Davis, Arlovski, Branch and others. He didn't always crumble. That usually happened when he was cutting to WW or MW and had poor cardio. At LHW, only Cormier and his very high-level wrestling made him crumble.

It's possible Gus could've taken the fight to the ground and finished Rumble later in the fight, but far from guaranteed--especially since Phil Davis couldn't pull it off.

MMA isn't weird. Arlvoski was a world class talent who was capable of putting on world class performances. Jon Jones has said many times how intense his sparring sessions were with Andrei. He said something along the lines of, "I gotta go in there and spar Andrei Arlovski. You don't know what it's like to get hit by someone like him."

Arlovski at his very best was fully capable of beating anyone ever.
I get that, but Arlovski was also KO'd by a Datsik (a crazy guy who wasn't that skilled) and Brett Rogers (former tire changer who also wasn't very skilled). Sometimes a good fighter can get KO'd by a less skilled fighter--especially at HW where one wild haymaker can knock you out or stun you enough for the other guy to finish you.

It’s just such a shame jones vs rumble fell through. Rumble would have taken Jon’s head off.

Anthony didnt just rumble he quaked. rest in power to a legend

Another fun stat is Melvin Guilliard still having the most Knockdowns at LW. When a mfer looks like sisco, hes about to unleash the dragon

Rumble brings me back. Best Cung Le student. I remember when he was at WW and Le, always MW.
Extreme power and explosion, a lot like Ngannou. They swing, the opponent dies.
One of the greatest LHWs ever. Even more entertaining.

Rumble vs Brenneman is one of the only UFC fights I knew shouldn’t be happening before the fighters got to the octogon

Rumble vs Brenneman is one of the only UFC fights I knew shouldn’t be happening before the fighters got to the octogon
Yoshida as well. I don't think that poor guy even cut weight.

Rumble brings me back. Best Cung Le student. I remember when he was at WW and Le, always MW.
Extreme power and explosion, a lot like Ngannou. They swing, the opponent dies.
One of the greatest LHWs ever. Even more entertaining.
Yeah, I remember Rumble saying something like "he doesn't want to trade with me...I train with Cung Le!" before one of his fights. He was known more for head kick KOs early in his career, then his fists later on. He had the tools to stand with anyone.

it never happened, but i think Rumble could have been the dude to KO Jones at LHW. he was knocking dudes dead. if it got past the 2nd round, obviously Jones would win. but he would be in huge danger before that point.
Rest well Rumble

Nah. Jones would sub him. I think Rumble would be champ today though

Nah. Jones would sub him. I think Rumble would be champ today though
Yeah, if it got out of the first round I would bet Jones by sub. Second round would still be scary but if he could get Rumble on the ground he would be OK. if anyone could've cracked Jones' chin at the time, it would've been Rumble.

I get that, but Arlovski was also KO'd by a Datsik (a crazy guy who wasn't that skilled) and Brett Rogers (former tire changer who also wasn't very skilled). Sometimes a good fighter can get KO'd by a less skilled fighter--especially at HW where one wild haymaker can knock you out or stun you enough for the other guy to finish you.

It's true. Arlovksi has made some costly mistakes over the course of his career and got knocked out for it. The Datsik fight was AA's first pro fight so it's forgivable. Datsik wasn't some guy off the street though, he had an amateur Muay Thai career and he's still knocking people out today.

Always thought he had the physical tools to beat DC and Jones, mentally he was lacking though.

His gameplan against DC in the rematch was truly one of the most mind boggling I've seen.

Always thought he had the physical tools to beat DC and Jones, mentally he was lacking though.

His gameplan against DC in the rematch was truly one of the most mind boggling I've seen.

DCs pressure was extremely underrated. The only person it didn't work on was a juiced up peaking Jon Jones. Everyone else got overwhelmed.

I think Gus would win more times than not against Rumble. What fucked him in the fight was his coaching calling for a kick in english and then Gus doing it real sloppy (like half assed attempt). Not taking anything from the win, but Gus has the chin to just not fold from 1 punch and the stamina. Just needed to survive that 1st round and Rumble just crumbles.

Lol your post made me remember the delusional Gus fanboys around 2014-2015.

Lol your post made me remember the delusional Gus fanboys around 2014-2015.
Gus has one of the better chins at LHW and never went out from all those shots from Rumble. He got caught throwing some lazy kick. Gus wins more times than not against Rumble. Gus beat Jon and DC. Refs didn't give Gus the win bc of his white privilege. Its a conspiracy bro.

Yeah, it's too bad he fought at the peak of LHW with prime Jones and Cormier. Outside of those two, I don't see anyone beating him via grappling. He dominated Phil Davis and put Bader to sleep in 13 seconds.

Outside of Poatan (which would be a war), I wouldn't give any LHWs past or present a big chance of finishing Rumble if they chose to stand for 3 to 5 rounds.

I know someone will bring up Vitor but there are a few points
  • That wasn't at 205 (where Rumble fought best). Rumble came in way too heavy and had a bad weight cut
  • The stand-ups were total BS. I think Rumble knew Belfort was a front-runner who usually faded by R2 against good competition so he decided to take him down and gas him out. The ref made them stand up twice in record time.
  • It was in Brazil where much of the reffing was odd and favored Brazilian fighters.

cope
vitor took rumble's soul

Back