Why all the hate for bodybuilding?

it's just the attitude problem with some bodybuilders I dislike. some of 'em act like they know everything and it just pisses me off.

Why's it always gotta be "Us v. Them"? Can't we all just get along!?

Personally, nothing wrong with bodybuilding but its just not that functional as compared to compound lifts and O lifts. The old timers in bodybuilding still believe in this and they actually had better physiques compared to the bodybuilders of today. Its still better to train by movements and planes rather than bodyparts

No, fuck all this understanding, bodybuilding fucking sucks. It didn't always, but now it does.

Bodybuilding is for a bunch of little men with napoleonic complexes who don't know better than to wear spandex and leotards and sport mullets.

All to create the illusion one is a badass when one is merely a fishblimp.

Bodybuilders are :eek::eek::eek:s.

BabyPhenom said:
Personally, nothing wrong with bodybuilding but its just not that functional as compared to compound lifts and O lifts.

Any 'real' bodybuilding plan is centered around compound lifts.

BabyPhenom said:
The old timers in bodybuilding still believe in this and they actually had better physiques compared to the bodybuilders of today.

Look at the physiques today compared to then. You might find the old ones more aestheticly pleasing but the physiques of today's bodybuilders have far more muscle mass at vastly leaner weights. They have effectively 'built' a bigger body.

BabyPhenom said:
Its still better to train by movements and planes rather than bodyparts

IMO, this is too broad of a statement to make. It depends on your goals, and the rest of your workout program far too much to be able to make such a blanket statement.

body building is gay.. Any sport where the guys wear thongs and pose is fucking gay.

The sport basicly endorses illegal steroid use.. No one who is competitive in body building is not taking steroids.

Most of the guys who do body building have the attitude of Phil Baroni.. with the "Im to sexy" song repeating over and over gain in their head as they flex in the mirror and blow them self a kiss..

Any sport that produces athletes who look like this.. deserves the bad rap it gets..
AndreEwing-bodybuilder.jpg

GAY - Final answer.

Madmick said:
No, fuck all this understanding, bodybuilding fucking sucks. It didn't always, but now it does.

Bodybuilding is for a bunch of little men with napoleonic complexes who don't know better than to wear spandex and leotards and sport mullets.

All to create the illusion one is a badass when one is merely a fishblimp.

Bodybuilders are :eek::eek::eek:s.

I agree with you about body building as a sport, it sucks.

But your attack on mullets was completely uncalled for!!

KOU In3 said:
But any decent bodybuilder's back day revolves around, deadlifts, bent rows, and chins.

Granted, but if you pick a bodybuilder who has a max deadlift of 400 pounds, and make this guy train hard on the deadlift, bringing it to 500 in 6 months, but in the process the guy does not gain much mass, this guy would have rather spent the 6 months doing pulldowns. I think this is ridiculous. Adding 100 pounds to your deadlifts is much more important than your romo-v-shape.

You'll say that this is all a matter of values, to which I'll agree, but those values are mine and I won't trade them. And those values are the values of the people who come here because this is a fucken 1) strength and power board 2) on a MMA site. There is a reason why this MMA site does not have a bodybuilding board; because merely adding mass without strength or power won't do shit for your sport or athletic ability. Adding mass will only contribute insofar as it brings strength and power in its wake, but why not aim at the production of strength and power right away if that's your goal?

KingSnake said:
But your attack on mullets was completely uncalled for!!

So you support his views on spandex and leotards then? Man you're crazy! :wink:

Noskill said:
Granted, but if you pick a bodybuilder who has a max deadlift of 400 pounds, and make this guy train hard on the deadlift, bringing it to 500 in 6 months, but in the process the guy does not gain much mass, this guy would have rather spent the 6 months doing pulldowns.

I think you're making a lot of assumptions there that aren't neccesarily true. When I followed more of a strength routine I found that for me personally I added much more strength when I added bodyweight. Not that I was that strong pound for pound compared to most. But that for me, when I gained weight, I gained strength.

A lot of people insist that you won't find bodybuilders doing deadlifts but that they instead will focus on pull-downs. Almost every serious bodybuilder deadlifts.

Noskill said:
adding mass without strength or power won't do shit for your sport or athletic ability.

This is true. But most people will find that when they add muscle mass, they gain strength and power as well.

Noskill said:
Adding mass will only contribute insofar as it brings strength and power in its wake, but why not aim at the production of strength and power right away if that's your goal?

Personally, I think I'd have a better shot at an open division if I weighed 225 instead of 200. A bodybuilding routine is essentially training for hypertrophy. This seems the best way to get my weight to 225 from where it is.

Gsoares2 said:
The sport basicly endorses illegal steroid use.. No one who is competitive in body building is not taking steroids

1) There are numerous tested natural competitions.
2) That doesn't change the fact that there are numerous clean athletes who train as bodybuilders as a hobby.
3) MMA is dirtier than you think. Look at the progression of the physiques in MMA. Look at the testing procedures. That doesn't mean that Pride sucks because there are too many dirty athletes in it.

Bodybuilding - Posing - Cutting = Hypertrophy training.
Hypertrophy training + cutting to make weight for MMA = Bodybuilding without posing.

KOU In3 said:
when I gained weight, I gained strength.

If you read well, I did not condemn adding mass, but only adding mass for the sake of it. Which is what bodybuilding is about. I agree mass and strength are closely related, but that does not justify and athlete as an athlete to train like a bodybuilder.

KOU In3 said:
A lot of people insist that you won't find bodybuilders doing deadlift

I did not.

KOU In3 said:
Personally, I think I'd have a better shot at an open division if I weighed 225 instead of 200. A bodybuilding routine is essentially training for hypertrophy. This seems the best way to get my weight to 225 from where it is..

Do you think it would be better to fight @ 225 if your lifts were the same as when you weighed 200? This is what is at stake here. The question is: is muscle mass useful for a fighter in abstraction of the strength it brings in its wake? If not, there is no point to train like a bodybuilder; train for strength and mass will follow. Not the reverse.

WPwrestler said:
Body builders are pussies.

Weren't you a yellow belt yesterday when you were trolling other threads by making 10 consectuive posts?

AdeptOmega said:
lol

how many of you actually compete in ANY sport?

I've competed in full-contact TKD at the collegiate, state, and national level, with minimal international competition. I've fought a couple of tuff-man boxing and a couple of tuff-man kickboxing events. (Now I'm more of a duffer/hobbyist taking some BJJ and looking to do a little MMA for fun down the road.)

I once won a banana peel eating contest.

AdeptOmega said:
lol

how many of you actually compete in ANY sport?

That's pretty snide.

I'm a 2-time Academic All-American, 3 time All-Section, 2 time All-League, 3-Time section champion in swimming. I think you'll find that a lot on here are accomplished athletes like myself.

What the fuck have you done?

Noskill said:
If you read well, I did not condemn adding mass, but only adding mass for the sake of it. Which is what bodybuilding is about. I agree mass and strength are closely related, but that does not justify and athlete as an athlete to train like a bodybuilder..

I am agreeind with Noskill in Pavel's words

There are two types of muscle growth. Myofibrillar hypertrophy, or 'real' muscle
growth, is an enlargement of the muscle fiber as it gains more myofibrils, things
which contract and generate tension. The muscle gets stronger and harder.
Myofibrillar hypertrophy is accomplished by training with heavy weights.
Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, on the other hand, is a worthless increase in the vol-ume
of the muscle cell fluid as a result of high rep training. The fluid, sarcoplasm,
accounts for 25-30% of the muscle's size.
Mitochondria, the 'power plants' of the cell, which, when well developed, make
up 20-30% of the muscle's size also grow from high reps. The same applies to
capillaries: an early eighties study found twice as many capillaries per muscle fiber
in elite bodybuilders than in normal subjects!
Needless to say, building things like capillaries or increasing cell fluid volume is
form above the function. I have no respect for that.

Back