Why all the hate for bodybuilding?

Fedorable said:
Needless to say, building things like capillaries or increasing cell fluid volume is
form above the function. I have no respect for that.

First, this study compared bodybuilders to 'normal' individuals, not bodybuilders to say powerlifters.

Second, cell fluid volume? Just like creatine increases cell volume? (Yes I know creatine works through the ATP regeneration process but it also volumizes cells). Would you immediately discount creatine just because it also volumizes cells?

As to the increased mitochondrial content, I don't have the hard science to truly analyze that but mitochondria are considered to be the 'powerhouse' of the cell and provide energy for the cell. So having more of them in a muscle cell could very well make that cell capable of exerting more force, expending more energy.

KOU In3 said:
First, this study compared bodybuilders to 'normal' individuals, not bodybuilders to say powerlifters.

Second, cell fluid volume? Just like creatine increases cell volume? (Yes I know creatine works through the ATP regeneration process but it also volumizes cells). Would you immediately discount creatine just because it also volumizes cells?

As to the increased mitochondrial content, I don't have the hard science to truly analyze that but mitochondria are considered to be the 'powerhouse' of the cell and provide energy for the cell. So having more of them in a muscle cell could very well make that cell capable of exerting more force, expending more energy.

I guess I just assumed he meant non-body building lifters, i'd have to go back and see more of the content surrounding it.

I didn't say I was anti-cell volumizing, but the point of that post is comparing "form over function". Creatine can volumize cells, but I believe it is used for adding strength and the volumizing is a by-product of that.

Okay, lets just say for the sake of argument that a higher volume of mitochondria does make the cell capable of exerting more force. Even with this extra little helper, body builders on average are known as less strong as powerlifters. This makes mitochondria content a very limiting factor on strength since with all these extra "powerhouses" body building is inferior. Also the extra energy that is expended seems to have a negative effect on endurance. so it doesn't increase energy length. Don't worry though, running out of mitochondria isn't something a healthy person should worry about.

Type I fibers (slow twitch) are densely populated with mitochondria.
Type II fibers (fast twitch) are sparsely populated with mitochondria.

Having more mitochondria inhibits the amount of force a muscle can exert, but allows it to recover more quickly. If we're talking about getting stronger, here, gaining more mitochondria is counter-productive.

Back