Who's more dominant in their respective divisions: Weidman or Jones?

Competitive, not close. NOBODY thought Machida would walk away as the new MW champ. It wasn't even on any rational person's mind at all. Weidman also fought Machida and beat him with a badly injured left hand that nearly had him pull out of the fight. Well documented. Comparing Aldo-Mendes II to Weidman-Machida is ridiculous. Weidman clearly won the first 3 rounds, dropped the 4th and won the last. Even if you view the fight as a whole, or you do it round by round as it's scored, in no way, shape or form did Machida have a prayer of winning that decision.

Competitive =/= close.

Competitive = close.

Some rounds were competitive, therefore the winner of each was chosen by a close margin. Weidman barely edged it out. I could see a point to be made about the 5th being given to Machida. 1 and 2 were Weidman's but not by a strong dominance. 3rd was pretty big though.

Injuries : I don't give much credit to that sort of thing. Listening to the stories about that, it seems that plenty of fighters fought injured. I'm not sure all are true.

Aldo-Mendes fight was not compared to Machida-Weidman in itself. It was just another example about the point : looking at the % of time won by a fighter by a judge scorecard doesn't make much sense. If all but one round were, uhh.. 57% Weidman and 43% Machida, it would be stupid to say "it's 80% Weidman overall".

It's the same with Aldo-Mendes. Three rounds were very close.

Last edited:
Look at that. Got GOAT and FlexingTiger agreeing with their retarded opinions.

I can't wait when DC pile drives Gus to read both your guys' reaction.

yeah, thats what you wish, cause gus getting through dc, then theres no hope for jj fanboys

One guy's still on his way to cleaning out his division once, the other has cleaned out his division twice and only needs 3 fights after his return to clean it out for the third time.

jones by the numbers, but MW is a deeper division and stacked too

One is the undefeated champion, and the other is probably going to jail. Not really fair to Coke Jones to have to be compared to Weidman.

Last edited:
if weidman beats rockhold, jacare, and one other top contender like yoel i see him being very close if not past jones, but weidman has major issues with injuries and is barely even fighting, which is unfortunate

Weidman is more dominant. He is the champ of his division and has the belt.

Jones needs to work towards getting the belt and obtaining the #1 spot in the division.

hah..

well yeah u can say it that way, if it makes u feel better :D

So far, Weidman.

He hasn't come as close as Jones has to losing (some people arguably believe Jones lost to Gustafsson and rightly so) Weidman also hasn't been bludgeoned by any of his opponents like Jones was by Gustafsson in their fight.

Also Weidman has dominantly dismantled a known PED cheater who many believe was in GOAT contention, not just once but twice consecutively, viciously and decisively.

Last edited:
Jones is better everywhere. This is not even debatable. He cleaned out his division in record time, while Weidman doesn't even want to defend his title. The Gus fight is the one fight people sight in trying to discredit Jones, yet they never give him credit for finishing strong after dropping two and a half rounds. Gus was out on his feet in the 5th, and Jones was spamming finishing moves, after 4 rounds of hard fighting.

Dominance is so often overrated in this sport, as it is not truly achievable. Every great champion will have to deal with adversity at some point, it cannot be avoided.

Not a Jones fan (at all) but I don't get why people think Weidman deserves all these comparisons to Jones.

dumb question

Jones practically cleaned out his division meanwhile Weidman still has 3 monsters to deal with in the form of Rockhold,Jacare,Romero

How is this even a thread???

Jones has COMPLETELY wiped out his division.

Weidman still has 3 legitimate challengers left. If Chris gets past Luke Rockhold, Jacare, and Romero, then maybe we can talk.

How is this even a thread???

Jones has COMPLETELY wiped out his division.

Weidman still has 3 legitimate challengers left. If Chris gets past Luke Rockhold, Jacare, and Romero, then maybe we can talk.

Exactly.

It's not that Jones beating Gus or DC again is a foregone conclusion, but he still beat them, and besides AJ no one in the division is looking like a real challenge - and he just lost.

Weidman has, as you say, far from cleaned out the division.

Weidman hasn't come nearly as close to losing as Jones, and while Jones hasn't been quite as dominant of late, he'd get the clear nod here. (And I'm a big Weidman fan).

Weidman has defended his belt 3 times, Jones 8. Jones has dominated every single opponent except Gus. Why would you even start comparing them? Let Weidman defend his belt at least 2-3 more times before deciding who's more dominant.

Jones, clearly.

If Weidman can comfortably beat Rockhold, Jacare and Romero then he's got a great case to be considered the more dominant of the 2.

Jones, clearly.

If Weidman can comfortably beat Rockhold, Jacare and Romero then he's got a great case to be considered the more dominant of the 2.

Agree. JBJ is clearly the more dominant one but Weidman just can't get the respect he deserves and is seriously underrated. I personally hope he wastes Rockhold but it seems like a tough matchup.

He knocks out Silva the 1st time, people say it's a fluke due to AS fucking around, he nearly KOs him again in their 2nd fight in the 1st round but doesn't get enough respect because Silva injured himself, then he beats Machida when he was still looking good.

Then of course there's Vitor. It's not Weidman's fault that Vitor had to get off roids for their title fight and I actually agree that Vitoroid would've been a much much harder fight for him, but in every instance Weidman has done what he had to do to win. He popped Vitor like a zit, steroids or no.

Back