Who's more dominant in their respective divisions: Weidman or Jones?

3 of Jone's title defenses were against middleweights, zero of Weidmans opponents were welterweights.

Weidman would have also rolled over the out of prime Rampage and Shogun that Jones fought. Jones's most legit wins were DC and Alex, which i'd favor both over Weidman, but Weidman is a middleweight. All that being said, Jones is still the most dominant champ, but the chris could potentially catch him in 2-3 years.
lol
This is as bad as saying Serra was a lw when he fought GSP or Hendo was a mw when he fought Fedor. Don't go full potato.

Weidman has much more power in his hands than Jones. He's a much more technical fighter with way better footwork. His timing is better. His wrestling is certainly better because of his takedown variety, his setups and how easily he transitions from striking to grappling. His ground game is far superior to Jones'. Gary Tonon, via tweet, just said that he'd favor Weidman over anybody at his weight class in the world in a sub only match. That's how good Weidman's submission grappling is. Weidman likes to use this mostly in MMA for positional purposes but he's capable of subbing anyone if he doesn't ground and pound them out.

People seem to forget how easily Gustafsson, a European boxer, stuffed all but one of Jones' takedowns. Jones got one out of 11 or 12. That's horrible. Weidman is the better takedown artist and overall wrestler than Jones. The size difference could make a difference if he ever fought Jones but he's the better wrestler and grappler by leaps and bounds. Outwrestling a gassed Cormier isn't really that impressive. Cormier was walking through a ton of strikes to even get to the clinch against Jones. Horrible gameplan.

So yeah, I agree.

Gus is also 6'5 and has an 81 inch reach, nobody else in the top 10 at 205 has that. If Gus was 6'2 and had a 77 inch reach he wouldnt have given Jones as much trouble.

Has to be Jones. Chris is doing what Jones did a few years back by clearing out the old guard but it will be fights with prime contenders like Rockhold, Jacare and Romero that will truly tell his story as a champion much like the Gusstaffson, Teixeira and Cormier fights did for Jones.

Jones without a doubt.

Weidman is severely overrated, especially on this forum.

Weidman is severely overrated here? If he was then a thread like this wouldn't exist, asking who is more dominant. The truth is, so far, it's been Weidman. He hasn't nearly lost a fight. He's also had less title defenses. No close or controversial fights for him yet. The Machida fight was competitive but Weidman won that 4 rounds to 1 so it wasn't close. When you beat and finish Anderson Silva twice when nobody else could in his UFC career, then you walk down Machida and go toe to toe with him and actually win everywhere the fight went, and then you finish Belfort in less than 3 minutes, faster than he's ever been finished in his very lengthy career. It's impressive.

What the one guy said I agree with. Let's wait and see what happens with the "new breed" guys like Rockhold, Jac and Romero. Though Romero is getting old he's somehow beasting by. No comment on that, I just want to see them fight.

Weidmans fights were "close".

Weidmans fights were "close".

Go on. Tell us which ones during his title run. You can even even include his first match with Anderson to claim the title if you like. Was the Machida fight "close"? No, losing 80% of the fight according to the judges isn't close. Belfort? He lasted less than 3 minutes and never had Chris in any real trouble, though he did have Jones in it with that armbar attempt.

Stop being delusional.

No, losing 80% of the fight according to the judges isn't close.

Stupid point. Number of rounds won has little incidence when we determine wether a fight was close or not. It's by watching each round as an entity.

Yes, Weidman won 4 out of 5 rounds on two (iirc) judges' cards. But those rounds were absolutely close, that's even why this fight is considered a great one in the first place. A close and competitive battle between two class acts.

Aldo- Mendes was a close fight too for example. But if you only refer to the judges' cards, you'll stupidely think it wasn't.

Weidman has much more power in his hands than Jones. He's a much more technical fighter with way better footwork. His timing is better. His wrestling is certainly better because of his takedown variety, his setups and how easily he transitions from striking to grappling. His ground game is far superior to Jones'. Gary Tonon, via tweet, just said that he'd favor Weidman over anybody at his weight class in the world in a sub only match. That's how good Weidman's submission grappling is. Weidman likes to use this mostly in MMA for positional purposes but he's capable of subbing anyone if he doesn't ground and pound them out.

People seem to forget how easily Gustafsson, a European boxer, stuffed all but one of Jones' takedowns. Jones got one out of 11 or 12. That's horrible. Weidman is the better takedown artist and overall wrestler than Jones. The size difference could make a difference if he ever fought Jones but he's the better wrestler and grappler by leaps and bounds. Outwrestling a gassed Cormier isn't really that impressive. Cormier was walking through a ton of strikes to even get to the clinch against Jones. Horrible gameplan.

So yeah, I agree.

Look at that. Got GOAT and FlexingTiger agreeing with their retarded opinions.

I can't wait when DC pile drives Gus to read both your guys' reaction.

Stupid point. Number of rounds won has little incidence when we determine wether a fight was close or not. It's by watching each round as an entity.

Yes, Weidman won 4 out of 5 rounds on two (iirc) judges' cards. But those rounds were absolutely close, that's even why this fight is considered a great one in the first place. A close and competitive battle between two class acts.

Aldo- Mendes was a close fight too for example. But if you only refer to the judges' cards, you'll stupidely think it wasn't.

Competitive, not close. NOBODY thought Machida would walk away as the new MW champ. It wasn't even on any rational person's mind at all. Weidman also fought Machida and beat him with a badly injured left hand that nearly had him pull out of the fight. Well documented. Comparing Aldo-Mendes II to Weidman-Machida is ridiculous. Weidman clearly won the first 3 rounds, dropped the 4th and won the last. Even if you view the fight as a whole, or you do it round by round as it's scored, in no way, shape or form did Machida have a prayer of winning that decision.

Competitive =/= close.

Look at that. Got GOAT and FlexingTiger agreeing with their retarded opinions.

I can't wait when DC pile drives Gus to read both your guys' reaction.

Got Goat is banned. Not sure why but he is. Keep calling me Boxingislife, Got Goat and other people's names. Prove it. SlicerDM, likely who you are, has already tried and apparently failed to do that. Report my posts and tell the mods who you think I am.

If my opinion is retarded then refute it. This is a new concept to you but try. Let's see how far you can get with your counter arguments. :wink:

Jones is by far the more dominate fighter in his decision. I don't even think its close at this point really.

Back