Who here is still Catholic??

hmm, I didn't know that I was 'registered' through baptism. I also didn't know I had to unregister. Why would the Catholic church need to keep people registered to bring them closer to God? Seems like an ulterior motive if I've ever heard one...

In the U.S. there is no registry and you don't get taken off of it. In some countries, though, it seems that the churches get government funding and other stuff. Their member numbers probably affect how much they get and other privileges. So in those countries, they do have records to show church affiliations and apparently the Catholic church tries to make it difficult to get unaffiliated with them to keep their numbers up.

So if I was baptized, that means I am registered somewhere as a catholic?

Because I was baptized. My grandparents are catholic so my mom just kind of went through the motions on that just to make them happy, my little brother and sister never did tho.

I'd rather not be in some church's book labeled as such.

Because I was baptized. My grandparents are catholic so my mom just kind of went through the motions on that just to make them happy, my little brother and sister never did tho.

No. They have your baptismal records but I doubt you're in some official big book of Catholicism.

I was baptised a catholic yet now that I'm older I believe in God but disagree with some of the religious views. I'd say I'm catholic but in no way lead a catholic life - hell, I go to church maybe once a year if I'm lucky. I don't need to pray or live a sheltered, careful life to prove my faith in a higher being, he'd want me to live my life anyway.

I was baptised a catholic yet now that I'm older I believe in God but disagree with some of the religious views. I'd say I'm catholic but in no way lead a catholic life - hell, I go to church maybe once a year if I'm lucky. I don't need to pray or live a sheltered, careful life to prove my faith in a higher being, he'd want me to live my life anyway.

Sounds like a protestant to me

If you are baptized, you are a catholic, and yes, you'll be in the catholic baptism book for the rest of your life.

Some guy in Italy had to go to court to get his name out there

I'm Catholic.

Baptism is a sacrament and you can't undo it. It's with you for life, much like herpes. Except baptism follows you into the afterlife too. Good luck with your endeavors.

I'm Catholic.

Baptism is a sacrament and you can't undo it. It's with you for life, much like herpes. Except baptism follows you into the afterlife too. Good luck with your endeavors.

For some reason this is one of the funniest things ive ever read on here....

Still catholic. I believe in God, though I disagree with a bunch of Catholic beliefs

I grew up catholic, I went thru a catholic elementary, middle and high school, they made us pray every morning before class, go to mass in school every 2-3 months and of course confess at least once or twice a year. My parents are still catholic and most of my family is catholic. Hell I am baptised, did the first communion and confirmation.

I AM NOT A CATHOLIC TODAY. Its not that I dont believe in a god or its not even that I dont believe Jesus could be the way to get closer to god (that goes into another discussion that I dont feel to get in at this moment) I just dont agree with the way catholicism shares the message of "a god" I believe the catholic church feel they have the power to control people who simply dont question their believes and they abuse that power.

Honestly sometimes it makes me nauseous the way some things are handled by the church in other countries and how much they respect an institution that SHOULD NEVER have any control on the politics of a country. Here in the US religion or faith has no business in the government of a country as it should be because religion is a matter of faith not politics, well american friends in other countries, religion and to be more specific the catholic church HAS A SHITLOAD of power in the government of a country because since almost everybody is catholic the church thinks they have the power to make political decisions... that shit MAKES ME NAUSEOUS about the catholic church because they are simply PLAYING with the faith of people, with naive people that THINK the church has a "unique" communication with god, that shit really pisses me off

Yeah the whole raping and shit is another gigantic topic why the catholic church pisses me off, but the political agenda is really what makes me angry. Religion is a matter of faith, is a matter of believes, human beings put their believes and faith in an insitution because they want to get close to god, wheter you think its stupid or not it is a pure gesture of faith and the catholic church in return manipulates that faith of millions in matters THAT HAVE NO RELATION TO FAITH because of their own agenda, that shit is garbage!

Last edited:
Why bother unregistering? Who cares? Anyway, I was born and raised a Catholic. My kids go to Catholic School. But, I'm not really a Catholic. I feel that I'm more of an agnostic Christian, if that makes any sense.

Yes I'm Catholic.

You can't be unbaptised, sorry but you can't, it's permanent. Sucks for you but you can't always get what you want - as much as people like to believe otherwise.

I'm curious, TS, what you meant by this:

"Being a good Southern boy, I was baptized as a child. Now, as a result of that, Im still a registered Catholic."

A southern boy? normally on here that would refer to people from the southern USA, but your location is Netherlands. Also If you are from those states, I thought Catholicism was very uncommon yet it's you implied that you are a Catholic as a result of being a southern boy. Did you mean South-America?
Also what kind of Catholic churches have pastors? lol, normally they have priests :)

I thought you had to be baptized, have your first communion, then your confirmation, before you were "Officially Catholic." I know I was baptized when I was a baby, had my first communion when I was a kid, but by the time I was suppose to have my confirmation I was a teenager and didn't really want to be associated with the Catholic church.

That's what confirmation is for, kids should be old enough to decide if they want to be confirmed - by the time confirmation rolls around.

all that is why I haven't even tried to get out of that shit. I'm atheist but I'm oficially a catholic because I was baptized. the funny thing is my parents don't give a shit about religion but they decided to get me baptized because they're photographers and they make photographic reports of catholic baptism, weddings, etc. so their kids not being baptized would look bad.

Sorry but thats incredibly disrespectful of your parents, disgraceful in the eyes of Catholics actually.

The protest in France was also against gay adoption. I wonder who they like less, Muslims or gays.

Not sure, France has plenty of muslims among them though, originating from north africa.
Neither Muslims or Catholics support gay marriage or adoption. Whether you think people should be allowed to be gay or not (its a matter of having free will IMO, gayness should be allowed).
Marriage is a religious sacrament and the "religion-free" state shouldn't have the power to allow gays to be married. People thought the gays would rest at being allowed civil partnerships. smh.
Anyone who thinks a same-sex couple should be allowed to adopt is off their head IMO. Kids shouldnt be lumped with two dads, fuck that. :mad:

Why would you register to a religion? That's no one's business but yours.

Why would you register to a religion? That's no one's business but yours.

They automatically do it to babies they baptize.

I pointed this out in another thread. as far as christianity goes, the Catholic Church is THE church. It's the original, all others are it's bastard kids, plus well over half of the entire christian population belong to it, so it has more members than all it's offshoots put together.

I think this skews christianities numbers a bit, the younger generation is becoming less religious, that does not apply for the younger generations parents who decided on baptism for their children.

I was baptised Catholic as well, but I'm not anymore. I'm an occultist, still admire a great deal some of their ppl though like Jesus, Moses and work with some of their familar spirits St Cyprian and St Jude. Though I very much doubt these ppl would like the Churches actions these past 2000 years.

I'm Catholic.

You can undo it just fine.

It's just an old guy splashing water on you. It means nothing outside of the paperwork.

Honestly sometimes it makes me nauseous the way some things are handled by the church in other countries and how much they respect an institution that SHOULD NEVER have any control on the politics of a country. Here in the US religion or faith has no business in the government of a country as it should be because religion is a matter of faith not politics, well american friends in other countries, religion and to be more specific the catholic church HAS A SHITLOAD of power in the government of a country because since almost everybody is catholic the church thinks they have the power to make political decisions... that shit MAKES ME NAUSEOUS about the catholic church because they are simply PLAYING with the faith of people, with naive people that THINK the church has a "unique" communication with god, that shit really pisses me off

It's funny you think this, US government is probably a LOT more prone to relgious influence
Yes I'm Catholic.

You can't be unbaptised, sorry but you can't, it's permanent. Sucks for you but you can't always get what you want - as much as people like to believe otherwise.

I'm curious, TS, what you meant by this:

"Being a good Southern boy, I was baptized as a child. Now, as a result of that, Im still a registered Catholic."

A southern boy? normally on here that would refer to people from the southern USA, but your location is Netherlands. Also If you are from those states, I thought Catholicism was very uncommon yet it's you implied that you are a Catholic as a result of being a southern boy. Did you mean South-America?
Also what kind of Catholic churches have pastors? lol, normally they have priests :)
I'm from the southern part of the Netherlands. The most logical option that you missed

Not sure, France has plenty of muslims among them though, originating from north africa.
Neither Muslims or Catholics support gay marriage or adoption. Whether you think people should be allowed to be gay or not (its a matter of having free will IMO, gayness should be allowed).
Marriage is a religious sacrament and the "religion-free" state shouldn't have the power to allow gays to be married. People thought the gays would rest at being allowed civil partnerships. smh.
Anyone who thinks a same-sex couple should be allowed to adopt is off their head IMO. Kids shouldnt be lumped with two dads, fuck that. :mad:

Think people should be allowed to BE gay? wtf are you out of your mind?

I'm glad the US is such a secular country

This sounds like one of those bullshit faux-oppression threads

Just something that has been on my mind lately and I think there are more people in my situation.

Being a good Southern boy, I was baptized as a child. Now, as a result of that, Im still a registered Catholic. This doesn't mean jack shit to me as I don't feel I'm a Catholic. There is however a slight catch.

Whether you are an active or inactive member of the Catholic church, doesn't matter to them, what matters is that they have you registered. The more registered members they have, the more privileges they get. Like broadcast time for catholic networks on tv and radio, subsidies etc.

So what does the Catholic church do to keep it's members? (being the sly old fox it is), it throws up all these barriers for people to UNregister.

If I want to unregister from the catholic church, I'll have to write a letter to like 6 organizations. My brother did this and it's crazy what these people go through. He got a letter from the diocese, whether he was sure he wanted out. If he didn't reply they just didn't sign him out. Than eventually the pastor came to his door and wanted a talk.

There was a contoversy here last week when a pastor said that he wanted to put up pictures in his church from people that signed out so that people could 'pray for them'

enfin, after going through ALL the steps to sign out. Your name still can't be erased from the baptism register because of some religious horseshit, where they say that 'something between man and God cannot be erased by man' or some crap. So because of something my parents did. I'm stuck with this, how come they can make kids register in the first place, that's just wrong.

So now I'll have to either
A) Make tons of effort to unregister from the catholic church
B) be lazy old me but live with the fact that the catholic church abuses my information

Neither one is very appealing

So in conclusion: "Fuck the Catholic church"

/rant

The solution is keep your offspring as far away from any church as humanly possible.

They will go extinct eventually, or just go full criminal enterprise.

Why bother unregistering? Who cares? Anyway, I was born and raised a Catholic. My kids go to Catholic School. But, I'm not really a Catholic. I feel that I'm more of an agnostic Christian, if that makes any sense.

You are a horrible, horrible parent for letting your kids go to a Catholic school and be subject to mental and physical abuse. You should probably be arrested and barred from parenthood for such a gross atrocity.

Back