Who here is still Catholic??

Apparently in some countries, you do have like an official religion. I guess in some they will tax you a little and the money will go to the religion to support it. Sounds like the numbers affect funding and other stuff as well in The Netherlands.

In the U.S. it's different. Churches save baptismal records and stuff like that, but there is nothing official and there is no register to get taken off of.

Spain is officially laicist, but part of the taxes go to the catholic church. you can choose between the church and charity and I think 0.7% of your tax money goes to either of them. it's ridiculous.

Apparently in some countries, you do have like an official religion. I guess in some they will tax you a little and the money will go to the religion to support it. Sounds like the numbers affect funding and other stuff as well in The Netherlands.

In the U.S. it's different. Churches save baptismal records and stuff like that, but there is nothing official and there is no register to get taken off of.

Catholoicism isn't the official religion. And the church doesn't get money straight from taxes I think, it's more complicated.

But yeah, the general idea is that it's in their benefit to have as much people as they can on their list. And nothing is actively done to check this 'list' the only thing they have to do to get people on them is baptize them.

I'm a lapsed Catholic.

Catholoicism isn't the official religion. And the church doesn't get money straight from taxes I think, it's more complicated.

But yeah, the general idea is that it's in their benefit to have as much people as they can on their list. And nothing is actively done to check this 'list' the only thing they have to do to get people on them is baptize them.

Yeah, I didn't mean there is an official religion. But I get what you mean about wanting to keep their numbers up and people being officially catholic or whatever. I read in some places you gotta check a box on tax forms as to what religion you want to support, though you can check none.

And I guess I owe you an apology. In my first post I assumed you were in the U.S. where, other than the tax exemptions for all religions, there really isn't an affect on you if you were originally one religion or another. You'd basically be mad that they have a record of your baptismal and that they might just assume you were still that religion. Like the poster earlier in the thread said, I don't think they would know what I'm talking about if I asked them to take me off their registry.

i think i became automatically lutheran when i got my scandinavian citizenship

edit: wow, catholic church are assholes! burn them down...

What the hell is this citizenship?

Europe: where they have state religions and still have kings and queens.

Was anyone else surprised to find out that France doesn't have gay marriage.

I thought that place was the gay Mecca

Is this sarcasm

You need to ask that? :p
Was anyone else surprised to find out that France doesn't have gay marriage.

I thought that place was the gay Mecca

Yeah absolutely ridiculous, apparently there were 800K protesters against gay marriage in Paris. Just when you thought the world was moving forward.

Why are people always so obsessed about what OTHER people can and can not do.

Yeah absolutely ridiculous, apparently there were 800K protesters against gay marriage in Paris. Just when you thought the world was moving forward.

Bunch of nasty morons, and I generally get on well with the French.

I'm still Catholic but it doesn't bother me, it's not like Jesus is nagging me to put down that drink or stop that motorboating.

Just something that has been on my mind lately and I think there are more people in my situation.

Being a good Southern boy, I was baptized as a child. Now, as a result of that, Im still a registered Catholic. This doesn't mean jack shit to me as I don't feel I'm a Catholic. There is however a slight catch.

Whether you are an active or inactive member of the Catholic church, doesn't matter to them, what matters is that they have you registered. The more registered members they have, the more privileges they get. Like broadcast time for catholic networks on tv and radio, subsidies etc.

So what does the Catholic church do to keep it's members? (being the sly old fox it is), it throws up all these barriers for people to UNregister.

If I want to unregister from the catholic church, I'll have to write a letter to like 6 organizations. My brother did this and it's crazy what these people go through. He got a letter from the diocese, whether he was sure he wanted out. If he didn't reply they just didn't sign him out. Than eventually the pastor came to his door and wanted a talk.

There was a contoversy here last week when a pastor said that he wanted to put up pictures in his church from people that signed out so that people could 'pray for them'

enfin, after going through ALL the steps to sign out. Your name still can't be erased from the baptism register because of some religious horseshit, where they say that 'something between man and God cannot be erased by man' or some crap. So because of something my parents did. I'm stuck with this, how come they can make kids register in the first place, that's just wrong.

So now I'll have to either
A) Make tons of effort to unregister from the catholic church
B) be lazy old me but live with the fact that the catholic church abuses my information

Neither one is very appealing

So in conclusion: "Fuck the Catholic church"

/rant

hmm, I didn't know that I was 'registered' through baptism. I also didn't know I had to unregister. Why would the Catholic church need to keep people registered to bring them closer to God? Seems like an ulterior motive if I've ever heard one...

Haha I don't know europe that well.
I was surprised that you had a catholic registry.

And I wouldn't be surprised if some countries over there are more Christian.

Over here I think a lot of the crap like creationism is the vocal minority.

I never unregistered, didn't know there was such a thing as unregistering.

I went to Catholic school for 8 years. But I stopped being Catholic right around 8th grade, when I started asking questions and getting reprimanded for it. Then I "graduated" from my Catholic school and went to public high school.

Haven't gone to mass in fifteen years.

The ppl fromt he States don't understand this thread.

The protest in France was also against gay adoption. I wonder who they like less, Muslims or gays.

Once or twice a year.

Around the holidays and Easter.

Back