Who has better TDD, Aldo or Penn?

Bruh I'm a huge Aldo fan, but I don't believe he could have stopped takedowns from the guys that BJ did.

Both equally hard to get down. But when you do get either down, Aldo gets up like no one I've ever seen.

233.gif
aldo-takedown-defense.gif

That's what I'm talking about. How Aldo gets up when he is taken down - on the rare occassion - is incredible

3.gif

Prime Hughes, considered #1 P4P GOAT at the time, who rag dolled everyone and continued to do so after this, goes for the take down and gets tossed on his back.

I would say penn just because he defended takedowns from some of the best ever. Aldo is most definitely #2 though

Aldo is better overall. More athletic and explosive. But what Penn had was that crazy flexibility which made it really awkward to get a takedown on him. BJ is just a genetic freak. Alien like.

Man the fluid movement of Penn is a thing of beauty.

Truly a gifted fighter.

Frankie Edgar couldn't take Penn down in their first fight at all, it looked pretty similar to the Aldo fight actually until BJ got tired. I think Frankie might have gotten like one takedown late or something in that fight

Frankie was 1/13 on takedown attempts and only got his in the fifth.

Aldo, and it is not even close. Penn defended takedowns well, but Aldo's hips are INSANE. He doesn't get a single leg scooped up and then hop to the fence, Aldo spins out of takedown attempts and makes them look ridiculous.

He also never defended shots from Hughes, GSP, Fitch, etc.

Some big boys that were not too bad at wrestling.

It's hard to pick because BJ really did fight some big guys. Aldo is never fighting the GOAT at 170.

Fuck it... I'm calling a majority draw.

Now that's a great question.

I couldn't honestly answer that. Historically, Penn grappled bigger and possibly better wrestlers, but statistically Aldo is probably better.

You could say either and I couldn't really say you were wrong.

Agree and want to note that Penn faced the best wrestlers outside his weight class in Hughes and GSP.. Sean Sherk at 155 was pretty good and couldnt do anything with Penn

Bruh I'm a huge Aldo fan, but I don't believe he could have stopped takedowns from the guys that BJ did.

That's probably the equalizer right there.

Just for example. I've seen some of the best boxers throw caution to the wind with their hands down, winging wild, slow, and sloppy strikes late in hard grueling fights.

Does that make them suck?

Wouldn't say suck but it certainly doesn't put them above guys who don't do that.

Wouldn't say suck but it certainly doesn't put them above guys who don't do that.

Still, you'd have to expect guys to gas fighting someone 30 lbs heavier.

Aldo is not known for a gas tank either.

Now that's a great question.

I couldn't honestly answer that. Historically, Penn grappled bigger and possibly better wrestlers, but statistically Aldo is probably better.

You could say either and I couldn't really say you were wrong.

This is important to consider. Aldo is statistically the better guy in this department, but he doesn't have two GSP fights on his record either.

For my money, they're the two best TDDefenders I've watched compete in the sport.

Back