Who has better TDD, Aldo or Penn?

Well that's easy. Had Aldo not been gassed, he would have defended those takedowns. Also that was years ago. Frankie Edgar couldn't take him down in the rematch and barely did so the first time. Edgar and Mendes are two of the absolute best MMA wrestlers we've ever had in this sport and they can't do shit to Aldo as far as grappling goes. Holding down Aldo is apparently impossible for a FW.

Randy Couture couldn't take BJ down.

If Aldo can stuff a HW wrestlers take down then .maybe he has a chance at this.

Randy Couture couldn't take BJ down.

If Aldo can stuff a HW wrestlers take down then .maybe he has a chance at this.

But Lyoto Machida made it, and made it with ease

Machida_bjpenn.gif

Aldo by far.

BJ could defend the single if he could get to the fence, but had no answer for to the death Georges blast double. Somehow people buy into Rogans bs. Rogain just says whatever pops into that vacant space above his shoulders; BJs TDD isn't great.
Bj's takedown defense isn't great? Righto

Inspired by Alltruth's post:

Who has better TDD, current Aldo or prime Penn?
Aldo.
But that's because Penn does not need TDD since his ground game is so good and he doesn't mind to be on his back.

Well, until GSP, that is. :)

Aldo is supposed to have a great ground game as well, but we don't see it since Aldo rather stand.

It's tough to compare since Aldo has stuck to 145 where he's bigger than any wrestler in that div. While Penn fought at LW, WW, MW and LHW during his good years, and his TDD was excellent against many of those bigger fighters, some of them top wrestlers. Used to bounce on one leg to avoid the TD against both Hughes & GSP.

So while Aldo plants his feet and is hard to move, Penn had to use more difficult maneuvers since standing still doesn't work against so much bigger opponents.

Penn

He's been able to fend off takedown attempts from much larger guys

BJ certainly had more 'holy shit...amazing' TDD moments, but as far as being able to consistently stuff quality shots, they're probably neck and neck.

BJ Penn was impossible to take down unless exhausted. He regularly balanced himself on one foot and hooped across the ring staying standing when guys like Matt Hughes and Gsp went for take downs against him. It isn't even comparable really if you look at their competition and just how difficult BJ really was to get down. Best hips to ever fight in mma

Aldo has not just the best TDD but the best defensive wrestling as a whole in MMA history, no doubt. His body of work is now so big that it's inarguable. Look how he dealt with Edgar and Mendes.

I would definitely say that BJ has the second best TDD we have seen thus far.

Probably Aldo but BJ is a close second

BJ certainly had more 'holy shit...amazing' TDD moments, but as far as being able to consistently stuff quality shots, they're probably neck and neck.

Yep. What Aldo does is kill 95% of shots before they become a problem. Less glamorous, but way more technically sound than even BJ's approach. Footwork, limp legs, heavy hips, pressure on the neck and pure brute strength adds up to a formidable defensive wrestling machine. If someone does take Aldo down, his ability to create space and get back up immediately is incredible.

Instead of speculating whether or not Aldo could stuff GSP/Hughes, why not watch Aldo vs Edgar and the Penn vs Edgar series?
edit;
Edgar vs Penn 7 out of 25
Edgar vs Aldo 2 out of 22

I'd say Aldo looks to have better TDD but Aldo wasn't going up against prime Hughes, GSP, Jon Fitch, Sherk, Matt Serra, Rory and Joe Stevenson.

I'm as big as Aldo fan as there is but I think prime Sherk would have wrestleraped him let alone Hughes or Fitch.

I doubt Sherk could even get near Aldo.

Such a hard question, and some really good responses on here, which is refreshing.

I'd have to say BJ overall, just because when he was not gassed he was able to stop some of the best TD artist in MMA history.

Aldo is absolutely amazing though, and I'm not 100 per cent confident in my answer.

BTW, you know that Mendes was 0/7 in the first fight, that one where Aldo grabbed the cage was only 1 takedown attemp. How about the second fight that went 5 rounds and Aldo defended 7/8?? Here is a stat for you, vs Mendes and Edgar in 4 fights (16 rounds) Aldo defended 34/37 td's

Exactly. The depth and sophistication of Aldo's technique is phenomenal. TDD isn't just about balance; it's about the full arsenal of defensive wrestling.

I love BJ - clean GOAT - but Aldo is even better at dealing with wrestlers.

Hmm hard to say.

Leaning towards penn after reading through but was originally thinking aldo.

Whoever posts the best gifs gets my vote.

Mendes would have dumped him on his head had he not grabbed the fence. He was already airborne. Who knows how that fight would have gone without the cage grab?

Probably just like it did when mendes took him down about 7 seconds later and aldo was up again instantly.

Aldo. He's way more athletic.

Edgar couldn't take him down.

I remember Edgar slamming BJ a few times.

Back