Who has better TDD, Aldo or Penn?

Such a hard question, and some really good responses on here, which is refreshing.

I'd have to say BJ overall, just because when he was not gassed he was able to stop some of the best TD artist in MMA history.

Aldo is absolutely amazing though, and I'm not 100 per cent confident in my answer.

Getting tired late and getting taken down should count against you imo.

Instead of speculating whether or not Aldo could stuff GSP/Hughes, why not watch Aldo vs Edgar and the Penn vs Edgar series?
Because the question was about 'prime Penn', and it is arguable as to whether Penn was still in his 'prime' after Edgar (imo) broke him the first time.

The only guy better than Aldo in that department is Barao.

Every fighter from Nova Uniao has insane takedown defence.

Good question. We saw Penn do OK against GSP. I guess we would (now we can't) see Aldo vs. Bendo to find out. That would probably settle the idea. Otherwise I would give the edge to Aldo for being so slick for so long.

I think Aldo vs Khabib would be a better gauge.

Bendo had a hard time getting Pettis down.

I kind of agree actually, now that you point that out. See this is why I said I wasn't 100 per cent.

Like when Aldo got taken down against Hominick?

I think it shouldn't as we are talking in terms of technique and not cardio,

Like when Aldo got taken down against Hominick?

I think it shouldn't as we are talking in terms of technique and not cardio,

Yeah it goes both ways.

Energy usage is part of technique.

That said getting tired against a much larger fighter is a factor to consider as well.

Yeah it goes both ways.

Energy usage is part of technique.

Just for example. I've seen some of the best boxers throw caution to the wind with their hands down, winging wild, slow, and sloppy strikes late in hard grueling fights.

Does that make them suck?

Also gotta consider that Penn didn't even cut weight to fight at WW and still weighed considerably under 170 lbs.

He fought guys that walked around near 200 lbs. Could you blame him for gassing when fighting under such a huge disparity?

People knock on his gas tank but the only times he's ever really gassed was at WW.

For the record, Aldo has stated that he cuts from 170 lbs.

In retrospect, Penn has huge balls.

Last edited:
BJ had success against bigger men, including Hughes and GSP.
Great take here also.
bj_penn_takedown_defense.gif

Aldo is more consistent, and against great competition, but he was never outsized against Penn.
I can't find gif, but that fence TDD against Lamas was otherworldly too

I love them both, can't pick one

My friends are very casual mma fans and they kept going on about how Aldo's TDD against Frankie was the craziest TDD they've ever seen. I tend to agree.

i'd go with aldo. although it's a good point being made - there is no equivalent to gsp or hughes in terms of wrestling at FW.

Inspired by Alltruth's post:

Who has better TDD, current Aldo or prime Penn?

Man that's a coin flip. I'd have to give the edge to Penn. He fought much bigger guys Like Hughes, GSP, fitch, etc...and he stuffed them before he got gassed. Hespect to Aldo though.

GOAT TDD Gif right here.

sUGVr0K.gif

BJ certainly had more 'holy shit...amazing' TDD moments, but as far as being able to consistently stuff quality shots, they're probably neck and neck.

Look at the competition level each has faced

BJ faced much bigger men and was able to mitigate tds. Aldo is amazing, he looks more spectacular when he does it. Its a coin flip it honestly is.

Probably Aldo.

That said, does anyone have a gif of the time BJ escaped a single leg by stepping with the other leg on the guy's shoulder and jumping over? That was fucking sick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back