Who has better TDD, Aldo or Penn?

Aldo has the best TDD in MMA history.

Now that's a great question.

I couldn't honestly answer that. Historically, Penn grappled bigger and possibly better wrestlers, but statistically Aldo is probably better.

You could say either and I couldn't really say you were wrong.

Inspired by Alltruth's post:

Who has better TDD, current Aldo or prime Penn?

Aldo's display against Frankie Edgar in TDD is HOF worthy.

EDIT: Alltruth one of the most influential posters on Sherdog already?

Aldo vs Florian and Sanchez vs BJ are two of the greatest displays of TDD in the Octagon.

Penn.

You don't see penn gassed in the fifth with mark hominic taking him down at will.

I want to say Aldo

But BJ stuffed GSP and Hughes before he got tired - for my money those two of the top five best MMA wrestlers ever tompete
I think BJ's freakish flexibility gives him the edge in this one

Penn.

You don't see penn gassed in the fifth with mark hominic taking him down at will.

Well that's easy. Had Aldo not been gassed, he would have defended those takedowns. Also that was years ago. Frankie Edgar couldn't take him down in the rematch and barely did so the first time. Edgar and Mendes are two of the absolute best MMA wrestlers we've ever had in this sport and they can't do shit to Aldo as far as grappling goes. Holding down Aldo is apparently impossible for a FW.

Prime Penn and Aldo are the same - neither could be taken down

Well that's easy. Had Aldo not been gassed, he would have defended those takedowns. Also that was years ago. Frankie Edgar couldn't take him down in the rematch and barely did so the first time. Edgar and Mendes are two of the absolute best MMA wrestlers we've ever had in this sport and they can't do shit to Aldo as far as grappling goes. Holding down Aldo is apparently impossible for a FW.
Mendes would have dumped him on his head had he not grabbed the fence. He was already airborne. Who knows how that fight would have gone without the cage grab?

Inspired by Alltruth's post:

Who has better TDD, current Aldo or prime Penn?
Nobody has better take down defense than "first round Penn".
Shucked old George, Aldo couldn't do that.

Frankie Edgar couldn't take Penn down in their first fight at all, it looked pretty similar to the Aldo fight actually until BJ got tired. I think Frankie might have gotten like one takedown late or something in that fight

probably Aldo. But then again Aldo has never faced GSP lol.

I don't know. I've never tried to take either of them down.

It's apples and oranges. Whatever.

I just hope BJ's career ends nicely.

If you can't honestly tell yourself gsp and Hughes wouldn't have put aldo on the mat you have an easy answer here.

Back