News Whittaker's manager: Costa has vanished since verbal agreement for 299, now looking at UFC 300 vs Usman instead

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Speaking with Fox Sports Australia this week, Whittaker’s manager Titus Day confirmed ‘The Reaper’ has verbally agreed to fight Brazilian Paulo Costa at UFC 299 on March 10. This comes after
‘Borrachinha’ recently challenged Whittaker to a fight over social media. However Day reveals that, since his client accepted said bout, Costa has since “vanished” and now he's accusing Costa
of “just playing f***ing games again”.

As a result, and while Whittaker is already back in training for the March timeline, his team is also preparing Australia’s first UFC champion to possibly face former welterweight king Usman on a blockbuster UFC 300 card.

“A few weeks back Costa did some article saying he wants to fight anybody, has seen Rob is looking for a fight and said ‘c’mon Rob let’s go’. So we’ve agreed to that but since that’s all we’ve heard."
“The UFC asked Rob when he wants to fight and he’s told them March, which would be UFC 299. He has a baby due in late February, so he doesn’t want to do anything before then in case of any complications and so on, especially given he travels for fights two weeks prior. But since agreeing to Costa, he is now just trying to call out Chimaev which is weird, because he’s injured."

“We think the guy is just playing f***ing games again. Maybe he doesn’t really want to fight Rob. Who knows? There was even a social media post a couple of weeks ago where he told Rob
‘if you’re keen to go, let’s fight’. But this is the third time it’s happened. Twice Rob has been signed to fight Costa before. And twice he’s vanished. No reason, no injuries … just refused to sign.
It’s just weird.”

While Robert Whittaker remains focused on both the birth of his child and that March 10 date, the team also knows that if Costa refuses to sign, a fight against Usman would also make sense for the UFC 300 card.

“I think there could be a chance of Usman fighting Rob at UFC 300,” Day said. “And I know Rob definitely wants to fight Usman. It’s a fight we called for a few months back."
"UFC 300 will be a stacked card. And to have two former champions coming together, that would be awesome.”

Source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/ufc/uf...4dcbdf2ed23f82a28918962048?recommendedCount=0

I'd rather him stick with the UFC 299 card, mainly just so he can stay as active as he possible can.
But yeah, forget the Costa fight. The guy is completely unreliable at this point and shouldn't be getting any high profile fights.

Whittaker/Usman is kinda weird tho, I'd still rather Whittaker/Cannonier 2 if Jared is recovered by UFC 299 or 300.
If not then yeah the Usman fight works, you could also throw Allen or Khamzat in there(both said they're looking for a UFC 300 date).

Speaking with Fox Sports Australia this week, Whittaker’s manager Titus Day confirmed ‘The Reaper’ has verbally agreed to fight Brazilian Paulo Costa at UFC 299 on March 10. This comes after
‘Borrachinha’ recently challenged Whittaker to a fight over social media. However Day reveals that, since his client accepted said bout, Costa has since “vanished” and now he's accusing Costa
of “just playing f***ing games again”.

As a result, and while Whittaker is already back in training for the March timeline, his team is also preparing Australia’s first UFC champion to possibly face former welterweight king Usman on a blockbuster UFC 300 card.

“A few weeks back Costa did some article saying he wants to fight anybody, has seen Rob is looking for a fight and said ‘c’mon Rob let’s go’. So we’ve agreed to that but since that’s all we’ve heard."
“The UFC asked Rob when he wants to fight and he’s told them March, which would be UFC 299. He has a baby due in late February, so he doesn’t want to do anything before then in case of any complications and so on, especially given he travels for fights two weeks prior. But since agreeing to Costa, he is now just trying to call out Chimaev which is weird, because he’s injured."

“We think the guy is just playing f***ing games again. Maybe he doesn’t really want to fight Rob. Who knows? There was even a social media post a couple of weeks ago where he told Rob
‘if you’re keen to go, let’s fight’. But this is the third time it’s happened. Twice Rob has been signed to fight Costa before. And twice he’s vanished. No reason, no injuries … just refused to sign.
It’s just weird.”

While Robert Whittaker remains focused on both the birth of his child and that March 10 date, the team also knows that if Costa refuses to sign, a fight against Usman would also make sense for the UFC 300 card.

“I think there could be a chance of Usman fighting Rob at UFC 300,” Day said. “And I know Rob definitely wants to fight Usman. It’s a fight we called for a few months back."
"UFC 300 will be a stacked card. And to have two former champions coming together, that would be awesome.”

Source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/ufc/uf...4dcbdf2ed23f82a28918962048?recommendedCount=0
Paulo Costa ain't been the same since Izzy publicly emasculated him on PPV, and now he's more flaky than a Tinder bot

Whittaker has been talking a lot about usman and I don't like it. I'd rather he just fight established middleweights on long streaks like Brendan allen or Caio Borralho. I'm guessing whittaker sees usman as a high profile opponent who he matches up well with.

Last edited:
Whittaker has been talking a lot about usman and I don't like it. I'd rather he just fight established middleweights in long streaks like Brendan allen or Caio Borralho. I'm guessing whittaker sees usman as a high profile opponent who he matches up well with.
I think the Cannanior rematch would be a good test for him, Cannonier is older but has only lost to Izzy since their bout in 2020 and is on a decent streak.
Make it a five rounder for FN main event. If that's not possible due to Cannonier currently dealing with an injury then Allen or Khamzat seem like solid choices.

Caio would make sense if they actually gave him the proper ranking he deserves, but the UFC will UFC and will keep him unranked while 2-6 Gastelum sits comfy on his number fourteen spot...
Sucks since he should be in a position where he can ask for those higher rank fights, he just isn't due to ranking fuckery.

Back to the Usman fight, I don't like it much either. I get it could be fun since both were long established names in their own divisions, the thing is it really doesn't do much for Rob outside of Usman being a decent name.
I just don't get it, like I'm not completely against it I guess. I just haven't heard much good reasoning for it happening now considering where both are currently at in their careers.

I think the Cannanior rematch would be a good test for him, Cannonier is older but has only lost to Izzy since their bout in 2020 and is on a decent streak.
Make it a five rounder for FN main event. If that's not possible due to Cannonier currently dealing with an injury then Allen or Khamzat seem like solid choices.

Caio would make sense if they actually gave him the proper ranking he deserves, but the UFC will UFC and will keep him unranked while 2-6 Gastelum sits comfy on his number fourteen spot...
Sucks since he should be in a position where he can ask for those higher rank fights, he just isn't due to ranking fuckery.

Back to the Usman fight, I don't like it much either. I get it could be fun since both were long established names in their own divisions, the thing is it really doesn't do much for Rob outside of Usman being a decent name.
I just don't get it, like I'm not completely against it I guess. I just haven't heard much good reasoning for it happening now considering where both are currently at in their careers.

Yeah, I think rob sees it as a high profile rebound fight. It really doesn't do anything for me, though. I just want to see the division moving, and giving opportunities to guys like allen or caio is a better way to shake things up. I agree that those match ups are unlikely, though.

I'm just generally unhappy with a lot of the match making lately.

Yeah, I think rob sees it as a high profile rebound fight. It really doesn't do anything for me, though. I just want to see the division moving, and giving opportunities to guys like allen or caio is a better way to shake things up. I agree that those match ups are unlikely, though.

I'm just generally unhappy with a lot of the match making lately.
Rob's been pushing for it, I guess he's either looking for a top five or high profile guy(Usman or Khamzat).
I get it and some of those can make sense, but beating Usman at this stage and at MW does very little for him and the division IMO.

Matchmaking overall has been iffy, at least some of relevant middleweights are active and willing to fight most instead of sitting on their ranks unlike other divisions. I'm really glad they got Strickland/DDP done and hopefully we got more of that along with some new names in the top fifteen within the next few months.

Back