Which Judge Dredd did you like better, the 1995 or 2012 version?

I used to buy 2000 AD back in the 80s, so for a fan like me, the Stalone version was an abomination.
Just as the Jack Reacher movies were with little Tom Cruise.
Just as 1963's Dr. No would have been had they cast, say, John Wayne or Cary Grant as 007.

The Jack Reacher movies would have been better off with a big fat guy.
<NoneOfMy>

2012 for sure. Those who liked that should check out turbo kid.
Man because of you I looked into this absolute shitfest of a cringy teeny movie "Turbo Kid". To even mention that in a Judge Dredd thread should be punishable. Jesus cringy bad acting that bad doesnt even describe it, costumes out of walmart and a "story" thats just a huge nothing.

The Jack Reacher movies would have been better off with a big fat guy.
<NoneOfMy>
Amazon about to redeem the shit outta Jack Reacher......
reacher-series-amazon.jpg

While I agree whole heartedly. It also didn't help that its story mimicked "The Raid" which came out the year before. "This is just a Raid rip off.", was a pretty common critique of Dredd after release. Now if I were a betting man, it wouldn't be far fetched of me to say that the Welsh writer of "The Raid" Gareth Evans, got some of his ideas from 2000AD and Judge Dredd, because "The Raid" seems like a rip off of a Judge Dredd "Block Wars" story.

So Dredd was also a victim of bad timing. Things would be much different had Dredd came out first.

Marvel needs to buy Dredd and do an R-rated movie in which the Dark Judges escape by a dimension warp device and end up in the MCU. Dredd follows but, since he doesn't know the world and has no jurisdiction, is forced to team up with Frank Castle to stop Judges Death, Fear, Fire and Mortis...

Hey, a guy can dream;)

Marvel needs to buy Dredd and do an R-rated movie in which the Dark Judges escape by a dimension warp device and end up in the MCU. Dredd follows but, since he doesn't know the world and has no jurisdiction, is forced to team up with Frank Castle to stop Judges Death, Fear, Fire and Mortis...

Hey, a guy can dream;)

So much potential....
Dark-judges-spread.jpg

I’m surprised how much love the 95 version is getting. I absolutely loved the 2012 version, it’s honestly one of my favourite action movies of the 21st century.

I thought they were going to do 3 more movies with Urban?

I saw somewhere years ago that the sequels were going to have Urban fight other gangs.

I wonder what happened?

I thought they were going to do 3 more movies with Urban?

I saw somewhere years ago that the sequels were going to have Urban fight other gangs.

I wonder what happened?
I don't think the movie made enough money to allow the sequels to progress. I think there may be a hope that urban reprises dredd in a streaming service series though.

Some good news though for all 2000ad fans is that there is a rogue trooper movie coming from David Bowie's son, the guy who directed moon.

Last edited:
Woke shit? In what way is that woke?

I was joking that the Black gentleman in a waistcoat in that photo is meant to be Jack Reacher as opposed to the giant white guy.

I was joking that the Black gentleman in a waistcoat in that photo is meant to be Jack Reacher as opposed to the giant white guy.
<mma4>

For a second I thought that might be your legit take. Never know around here lol.

I haven't seen JD95 since it came out in theaters that summer and I prefer to keep it that way. Hated it even as a kid.

I watched the Stallone movie in the theater the day of its release, at the peak of my comic book reader elitism. I hated it with all my fucking guts. All I remember is Mean Machine and the ABC Warriors cameos, and that Dredd was without the helmet all the fucking time. I deleted everything else of that movie from my brain, probably for the better.

The 2012 movie is great.

'95 was solid camp.

'12 was a top notch brooding, dystopian action cult classic. Stellar action, acting, special effects, and cinematography. Better movie across the board, definitely, but the first one wasn't trying to compete in its space.

I prefer the 2012 version for sure but don't hate the 90s one. You kinda just have to take it for what it is which is a cheesefest action flick but I actually really like some of the production design. The new one just has a much better and more direct screenplay, plus the obvious improvements to the action scenes. Wish they would keep making more instead of pumping out more soulless marvel content but what can you do...

Back