Media Which Fighters Have The MOST To Gain/Lose at UFC 299?

Black9

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
It's Fight Day, Whose your guys picks for most to gain/lose at UFC 299??

BSD? Or MVP?

BSD has everything to gain and nothing to lose. Jailton/Blaydes have a lot to gain too, the winner probably sets himself up for a fight with Aspinall.

Dustin Poirier has the most to lose IMO.

Unlike Gaethje, he has not defended his extremely high ranking against an up-and-comer. He's already talking openly about approaching retirement (that is not to be confused with announcing his retirement in any way lol), which makes you wonder how good he'll be tonight. Think Cejudo: hasn't retired, but totally phoned in his performance against Merab, looked like he'd trained for a round at most.

If Dustin loses, he not only drops out of the top 5, but any hopes of a title shot at any weight class will evaporate.

Likewise, I can't see Marlon Vera getting another title shot ever. This is the big one for him, he simply cannot afford to lose. He's kinda lucky to get the shot considering he's ranked #6 or whatever.

Also, I doubt it would happen, but Gamrot cannot afford to lose to RDA...

Without a doubt, Dustin Poirior has the most to lose. In my opinion, this fight either says he's still a title contender, or he is a gatekeeper. He has had a great career, but even he says he is losing motivation to train as hard as he did, especially to fight up and comers like St. Denis. In my opinion, Dustin will retire if he loses this fight tonight.

Chito. Beating Omalley is going to bring in money, and im talking about outside of the UFC. whatever money is to be had in his home country will be gettable, and even with his semi stale personality at times he'll atleast get the best pay day of his life for this fight and then maybe a defense. If he loses you might as well call it a career in the UFC. He will never sniff another title shot or get anything other than the bare minimum pay his contract dictates.

Sean/Vera (bw title)
Blaydes/Jailton (winner gets a title shot)
Poirier/BSD (potential title shot to BSD if he wins)

I"m excited about the Gamrot v RDA fight. That could be a main event fight on a thinner card.

No idea why Maycee Barber's fight is so high on the card, there are better fights on the prelim.

Make or break for MVP?
That's what i'm thinking.
He's 36 years old, he loses on his debut he'll probably just be a fun fight type fighter instead of ever being an actual title challenger.

Back