Which 2014 hype-train did you enjoy watching be killed?

Had always liked both Diaz brothers but Nate talking himself Nick, Gilbert and Jake Shields up all the time got annoying and was derailed badly this year.

How was Barao a hype train? Dude was a near decade-long undefeated, multi-time defending UFC champion with all those title defences coming via stoppage.

More due to the fact that some were starting to consider him the best fighter in the world.

Gunnar Nelson. His backers were annoying as hell. I got torched for a thread doubting him based on strength of opposition.

ask me next year so I can bask in McGoof's derailment.

McGregor. So tired of Sherdog's "GOAT" hype, even if it's a joke. "Conor bless" isn't funny, at all.

The answers in this thread are awful. A world class fighter losing to another world class or equivalent fighter is not a "hype train derailment". My choice would be Niklas Backstrom. One good performance against Niinimaki and suddenly he's a new challenger. Fuck outta here!

I didn't really enjoy any of them being derailed.

Melendez, Mendes, and Alvarez are all top fighters who have proven themselves against the elite time and again, regardless of whether they were in the UFC or not. You don't seem to understand what a hype train is.

Pretty much what I came here to say. Alvarez was consistently ranked as a top 10 LW since 2008. Being ranked in the top 10 (at times top 5) for 6+ years is not a hype train. That's just a train.

Back