Which 2014 hype-train did you enjoy watching be killed?

Backstrom spamming front kicks and getting blasted to the canvas

Damaciao pages knockout of the year candidate vs can't recall

Conors derailing once another real grappler or wrestle boxer gets ahold of him. Sivers got more of a shot than most on here like to think, but mcgregor seems to have the machine behind him and this matchup makes no secret about it. Pipe dream but trtsiver controlling him from top and exposing his lack of a clinch game or guard entirely would be nice just to see this place shook

Barao easily. lol'd so hard at all the tards calling him #1 or #2 p4p simply because he was exciting. it was incredibly obvious his striking technique was not that great.

What's up with dumb fucks bring up top 10 fighters who have fought for the belt and some even current champions? How stupid can you get? Mark Hunt? Cain? Hendricks? Barao? Mendes? Melendes?

So what? Anyone who loses is "hype train"? Gee the level of stupidity is beyond belief. I mean, some of these guys are fucking GOAT candidates and we're calling them "hype trains"? Lol So who isn't a hype train then? I understand some of them being over rated but hype train? Lol leave that for guys who are trying to climb up the ranks like Erick Silva or McGregor. I guess when Weidman, Bones & Cormier loses I'll call it "hype train". Guess the only way to not get called a hype train is to trash talk even after defeat and have shit loads of losses like Chael Sonnen.

Disagreed that Barao was a hype train.

He legitimately proved himself time and time again against top flight competition.

Barao easily. lol'd so hard at all the tards calling him #1 or #2 p4p simply because he was exciting. it was incredibly obvious his striking technique was not that great.

Since when do the P4P greats have to have great striking technique? Lol fucking dumbass post. What about Anderson's garbage wrestling? What about Pre-K-Hughes's stand up? Its about getting wins and Barao got more than a lot of top fighters.

Fucking stupidity on this site I swear.

Forrest griffin...

Although I don't like him and do think he got lucky, he did get some solid wins in his career AND became champion post Pride merger. That alone makes his belt more valuable than Chuck Liddells multiple title defense belt. Also makes his belt worth more than Coutures and Ortiz's. Forrest may have not had great skill and may not have been likable but he did get the wins to be more than just "hype."

Mousasi.

Hype train and a half. He was supposed to waltz on over from strikeforce, ko Anderson and Jones to take the Mw and Lhw title simultaneously. Instead?

Goes 1-2 in 2014 with the sole win coming over Mark Munoz.

LOL.

Never have I ever understood the Moose hype.

His upkick win over Jacare is the most impressive thing I've seen him do. He's not exciting to watch at all to boot. Glad his fans have been silenced a bit.

Since when do the P4P greats have to have great striking technique? Lol fucking dumbass post. What about Anderson's garbage wrestling? What about Pre-K-Hughes's stand up? Its about getting wins and Barao got more than a lot of top fighters.

Fucking stupidity on this site I swear.

Um you fuck waffle he relies heavily on his striking, unlike Silva who didn't rely on his wrestling at all. Almost his entire game revolved around it. His style was to use TDD and strike, similar to Aldo. Sure, he got a takedown once in a while, but for the vast majority of the time he used his striking. Even most of his subs were set up by hurting people on the feet.

And Hughes? LOL that was 8 years ago. How about Royce Gracie? You momo. We're talking about current day MMA dummy.

Barao beat a total of 3 top 10 fighters. Faber, MacDonald, and Wineland. Maybe Jorg but it was pretty clear he wasn't elite soon after. None of these fighters were anywhere near the top 10 p4p. Beating them does not making you top 3 p4p.

Stupidity? I'm vastly more intelligent, handsome, and successful than you. You got dominated here kid. Get your shine box.

Eddie Alvarez is the only actual hype train derailed this year. And it was quite satisfying to see everybody ranking him top 5 shutting up.

Barao actually held the title & defended it. Unless you think the entire division is garbage then you can't say he is hype

More due to the fact that some were starting to consider him the best fighter in the world.

He was. Finished all the other best bantamweights in the world except for Cruz who was out with a three year injury. Faber twice, McDonald, Wineland, Jorgensen, Pickett, and 33 victories without a loss. No one at bantamweight has a better record.

Your gotta admire the kind of "cult of stupid" Zuffa has created, where the newbie MMA watcher is convinced he's a genius and comes here to commune with his fellow "geniuses".

Exactly. Before Zuffa started watering down cards and underpaying fighters sports fans were widely recognized as one of the more erudite segments of society.

Um you fuck waffle he relies heavily on his striking, unlike Silva who didn't rely on his wrestling at all. Almost his entire game revolved around it. His style was to use TDD and strike, similar to Aldo. Sure, he got a takedown once in a while, but for the vast majority of the time he used his striking. Even most of his subs were set up by hurting people on the feet.

And Hughes? LOL that was 8 years ago. How about Royce Gracie? You momo. We're talking about current day MMA dummy.

Barao beat a total of 3 top 10 fighters. Faber, MacDonald, and Wineland. Maybe Jorg but it was pretty clear he wasn't elite soon after. None of these fighters were anywhere near the top 10 p4p. Beating them does not making you top 3 p4p.

Stupidity? I'm vastly more intelligent, handsome, and successful than you. You got dominated here kid. Get your shine box.

Jorgensen and Pickett were top 10 when they fought. That's 5 different top 10 opponents and 6 top 10 wins, plus 32 wins in a row. Who else should have been on the p4p list? No one else had those kind of accomplishments at that time except for Jones and Aldo.

Renan Barao. I love seeing overrated fighters get exposed by their betters. #1 p4p lol!

Forrest griffin...

So let me get this straight, you're saying Shogun was still unproven and still just "hype" while having wins over Rampage, Randleman, Overeem, Arona, Nogueira x2 by the time he fought Forrest?

lol ok then!

Also, this thread is called "Which 2014 hype-train did you enjoy watching be killed?"

Last I checked Shogun did not fight Forrest Griffin in 2014 and the last time they fought, Shogun TKO'ed him inside 2 minutes.

For me, it would have to be Eddie Alvarez's. It was very satisfying to have watched Cerrone outclass him.

After Donald had a series of highlight performances, seeing him be the underdog here and comments making him out to be a scrub coming in abundance (like "Eddie is going to make Donald look like he belongs in Bellator"), it was just a feel-good moment to see Cerrone's consistency come through.

Additionally but to a lesser extent, watching Mendes and Melendez stopped was merry 'n dandy. Edit: Okay I was overreaching in attributing hype-trains to these two. Shh.

You folks?

Alverez, Mendes and Melendez ain't no hype trains Double H. Too damn battle proven against top, solid competition. Yes even Alverez before you mention it.

Doesn't the term "hype" imply an unwarranted amount of fan interest? Alvarez and Barao earned their reputations IMO. The only hype train waiting to be derailed is the one carrying 145 lbs of ginger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back